Forum Member

Default Power Point for class

Looking for a powerpoint for a cause and origin class. Its for a recruit class I need to teach.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic1911 View Post
    Looking for a powerpoint for a cause and origin class. Its for a recruit class I need to teach.
    If you are qualified to teach this class, you should be able to put your own together, don't you think?

Truckie

If you are qualified to teach this class, you should be able to put your own together, don't you think?
    Yes, because as we all know; if you are an expert at cause and determination, it automatically makes you an expert on PowerPoint.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Yes, because as we all know; if you are an expert at cause and determination, it automatically makes you an expert on PowerPoint.
    That's a ridiculous statement. First off, PP presentations are put together everyday by second graders. Anyone who can use a computer can build a PP presentation.

Secondly, my point (which you ignored) was that any person who is qualified to teach fire investigation has access to materials such as 921 and Kirk's, to get the factual material. They should also have more than adequate photo's and graphics to fill out the program.

It irks me when people come on here and ask for teaching materials that other people have put together. I have a library presentations that are all my own. None of them are somebody else's work. It is utter laziness.

Forum Member

Question

Wow, once again you ask a simple question and get a smart *** remark. Then we wonder way the public doesn't see us as professionals. Thank you George for setting me straight, just dont think I will bow down too you. After reading several of your other post, I beileve you to be very knowledgable of the job, but i also believe you to be an angry old man. Now feel free to seat and let me know how this response was not grammadictly correct and how i misspelled words and how in court they would pick my reports to pieces because of it. After all that is correct right, God of cause and determination.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to agree. By creating your own lesson plans and presentations, you not only know your presentation better then if you used someone elses, you actually learn during the process of creating it.

MembersZone Subscriber

While in agreement that compiling a PowerPoint presentation is something worth learning and allows for the instructor to personalize and customize the presentation; there is a world of difference between just putting together a PP presentation and putting together a good PP presentation.

Think about the last time you half slept through a class with a poorly designed PP presentation with bullet list after bullet list (and the instructor doing not much more than reading to you that which you could easily read yourself) overloaded with zings and zaps and sounds and drops and fades and box-ins and box-outs and all the other unneccesary distractions. How many know that the best background for photos is black? That red fonts on a green background make ones eyes hurt? That simple fades are best for graphic presentations? That if you bring in each bullet with a simple appear as it becomes pertinent while at the same time fading the previous bullet(s) it enhances and emphasizes the presentation? Etc. Etc.

FireMedic; to your advantage is that an origin and cause presentation should be heavy with photos/drawings/diagrams. Photos and pictures can simply be dropped (copied) into a blank black background. Use the drawing tools to draw circles around or point arrows at anything in the photo that you want to point out, or drop in a very short text notation. Go light on text slides (lists, paragraphs), go heavy on photos/drawings and simply use your notes to explain - don't read the slides to the students. And please leave the cute sounds and "dazzling effects" for the gradeschool kids.

And then take a class on PP. Even a basic PP night class at the local high school or college will give a tremendous amount of insight. Or there are some really good ones out there geared toward setting up training presentations; the class put on by PATC is an excellent one, but there are others out there also. Good Luck!
    Last edited by mtfd89; 06-11-2007 at 11:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mtfd89 View Post
    While in agreement that compiling a PowerPoint presentation is something worth learning and allows for the instructor to personalize and customize the presentation; there is a world of difference between just putting together a PP presentation and putting together a good PP presentation.

Think about the last time you half slept through a class with a poorly designed PP presentation with bullet list after bullet list (and the instructor doing not much more than reading to you that which you could easily read yourself) overloaded with zings and zaps and sounds and drops and fades and box-ins and box-outs and all the other unneccesary distractions. How many know that the best background for photos is black? That red fonts on a green background make ones eyes hurt? That simple fades are best for graphic presentations? That if you bring in each bullet with a simple appear as it becomes pertinent while at the same time fading the previous bullet(s) it enhances and emphasizes the presentation? Etc. Etc.

FireMedic; to your advantage is that an origin and cause presentation should be heavy with photos/drawings/diagrams. Photos and pictures can simply be dropped (copied) into a blank black background. Use the drawing tools to draw circles around or point arrows at anything in the photo that you want to point out, or drop in a very short text notation. Go light on text slides (lists, paragraphs), go heavy on photos/drawings and simply use your notes to explain - don't read the slides to the students. And please leave the cute sounds and "dazzling effects" for the gradeschool kids.

And then take a class on PP. Even a basic PP night class at the local high school or college will give a tremendous amount of insight. Or there are some really good ones out there geared toward setting up training presentations; the class put on by PATC is an excellent one, but there are others out there also. Good Luck!
    And reading the slides is exactly what one would do if they used someone else's PP presentation and was unfamiliar with the pictures. When I said "materials" to put together a PP, what I was referring to in part was photos, videos and exhibits.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quite honestly, I dont see what the big deal is. We are a community, we help each other out. I've made powerpoints and I've used powerpoints made by others. I have also taken powerpoints, gone through and tailered them to my needs. Personally I think this works best because it makes use of information already gathered and then ensures that you know the material because you are modifying it to fit what you need. Afterall, why reinvent the wheel? Just give credit where it's due.

Unfortunately, I dont have any powerpoints on O&C.
    Stay Safe

Ryan Dennett
    FF/EMT-I

"Some ask why. I answer: I know where I am going when I die, and so I do not fear it. Some people need more time to figure it out. I am that extension. My life for yours."
    Marc 'SkipJack270'

Forum Member

I know that Kentucky allows Instructor 1 to teach a class but a class must be planned by a level 2 or 3.

Default why reinvent the wheel

If there is already something out there that you can use why reinvent the wheel.

Thread Information