Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dcfd

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

Default Dcfd

Good afternoon.
    I was wondering if I could get some advice from some other firemen. I am cognizant of the fact that DCFD will not reopen again for a while; but I would love to apply when they re-open.

Currently, I am getting ready to start the process with Montgomery and Fairfax Counties, but I would just die for a chance to be a DC firefighter. Would it be foolish to turn down other offers to wait for DCFD? I am currently a firefighter in the Air Force and am going to college.

I was wondering if anyone could give some inside scoop on DCFD, and if it is worth the wait. I would like my next move to be my final career move.

A friend told me that the benefits in Montgomery are better than Washington, DC, but I am not too concerned about the pay and benifits; but that might be something to think about down the road if I have a family.

Thanks, in advance for you time to this response!

-BigBruno
    Last edited by BigBruno; 06-07-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBruno View Post
    Good afternoon.
    I was wondering if I could get some advice from some other firemen. I am cognizant of the fact that DCFD will not reopen again for a while; but I would love to apply when they re-open.

Currently, I am getting ready to start the process with Montgomery and Fairfax Counties, but I would just die for a chance to be a DC firefighter. Would it be foolish to turn down other offers to wait for DCFD? I am currently a firefighter in the Air Force and am going to college.

I was wondering if anyone could give some inside scoop on DCFD, and if it is worth the wait. I would like my next move to be my final career move.

A friend told me that the benefits in Montgomery are better than Washington, DC, but I am not too concerned about the pay and benifits; but that might be something to think about down the road if I have a family.

Thanks, in advance for you time to this response!

-BigBruno
    Since there is no way to guarantee that you will get on with DCFD when they do open up again, and no way of telling when they will open up, it would be down right stupid for you not to proceed with Montgomery and Fairfax. And why are you limiting yourself to your "final career move"? Continue on, get on the job, and keep looking at your other opportunities! There are a ton of guys in DC who started in the suburban departments.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I second that. It's only a very lucky few who get on the Department of their dreams the first time they test. In fact, if you get on a department now, and test for DC in a couple of years, you'll have two years of full-time experience on your resume, which will just make you a better candidate. You could get your medic license, if you don't already have it, which will increase your chances tenfold, in addition to bumping you up on the pay scale.
    There's no substitute for experience.

Forum Member

Plenty of recruits have come here from other career fire jobs.

MembersZone Subscriber BigBruno's Avatar

Thanks, fellas. I really appreciate your advice. I just do not want to jump around from department to department, that's all. Repeating fire acadamies does not bother me; I have already been through the DOD Fire Academy in Texas, so I believe that is a very good taste of what is to come in my future (hopefuly)!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

DCFDCAR5-- I read a past post from 06' regarding a test process for f/f medics. It seemed that you were knowledgable about the departments plan at the time. I recently took a written test for the postion of f/f medic. I was told there maybe a class on aug. 20th. Can you confirm? I also would like to know if they have ever bunced together some of the steps in hiring for those from out of state?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default dcfd hirings

I live and work in dc and what's happening with the hiring process is that they're separating the fire & ems due to pending lawsuits. They are losts of hirings if u r bilingual. If you are an emt already then u'll have ur foot in the door because they are hiring right now for bilingual emts & paramedics. But honestly since i have family and friends who work within dcfd, go with either fairfax co. or montgomery co. it'll save u a lot of heartache. Hope this was a little helpful.

Forum Member

smooch323-- what heartache are you referring to?

Forum Member

Don't know what that guy is talking about, but if you want to be a fireman, go to DC... sure you'll get stuck on the bus, but it's not that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Smooch323 View Post
    I live and work in dc and what's happening with the hiring process is that they're separating the fire & ems due to pending lawsuits. They are losts of hirings if u r bilingual. If you are an emt already then u'll have ur foot in the door because they are hiring right now for bilingual emts & paramedics. But honestly since i have family and friends who work within dcfd, go with either fairfax co. or montgomery co. it'll save u a lot of heartache. Hope this was a little helpful.
    Mayor Fenty proposed seperating Fire and EMS in his campaign for mayor, but it was totally opposed by the unions as well as the City Council. It was a campaign thought, not even a promise, and is unlikely to happen anytime in the near future. There are enough things to put on a pro/con list about DCFD and the suburban departments, that untruths and maybe's really don't need to be included.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default ?'s about ff/medic testing

I took a ff/medic a few weeks back and was told that if I passed all the steps I would be accepted into a recruit class. I'm looking for any info anyone might have about the process. Thanks!

Thread Information