MembersZone Subscriber

Default I need advice, please read.

I just got hired by a very respectable fire department and I'm very thrilled to say the least. I start very soon.

My problem:

Recently I've developed a pain in my hip that especially hurts while I'm running. I know this will be an issue in the academy because I know there will be a LOT of running. Aleve helps but not enough. I'm worried that this pain/injury may prevent me from participating in some of the running exercises. I've already quit my previous job and from what I've learned they've already filled my position. I'm very worried that having this injury/pain will get me removed from the academy and I'll be out of a spot for a job I would love to do, and jobless.

I would just like to know how some academies may treat recruits who get injured while in the recruit school. Perhaps there's a good OTC to relieve the pain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by z28kindaguy View Post
    I just got hired by a very respectable fire department and I'm very thrilled to say the least. I start very soon.

My problem:

Recently I've developed a pain in my hip that especially hurts while I'm running. I know this will be an issue in the academy because I know there will be a LOT of running. Aleve helps but not enough. I'm worried that this pain/injury may prevent me from participating in some of the running exercises. I've already quit my previous job and from what I've learned they've already filled my position. I'm very worried that having this injury/pain will get me removed from the academy and I'll be out of a spot for a job I would love to do, and jobless.

I would just like to know how some academies may treat recruits who get injured while in the recruit school. Perhaps there's a good OTC to relieve the pain.

you may have arthritis, and aleve helps relieve that pain. go to your doctor, and see if you do have this. Then the doctor may perscribe anti-inflammatory, medication. So i suggest just seeing your doctor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by alpha4 View Post
    you may have arthritis, and aleve helps relieve that pain. go to your doctor, and see if you do have this. Then the doctor may perscribe anti-inflammatory, medication. So i suggest just seeing your doctor.
    Thanks for the reply. I've been looking up hip pain on google and such, and I've learned hip pain can happen for a wide variety of reasons. A couple of buddies of mine recommended not seeing a doctor, because my dept may decide to do an investigation... and will easily be able to tell if I've visited any doctors for this problem.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep!...............

VERY Good Advice........... See your Doctor. You may have a condition that is easily treated and you can continue on. Good Luck.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking up hip pain on google and such, and I've learned hip pain can happen for a wide variety of reasons. A couple of buddies of mine recommended not seeing a doctor, because my dept may decide to do an investigation... and will easily be able to tell if I've visited any doctors for this problem.
    A couple of things...

1. Don't use the internet to diagnose yourself. Only a doctor knows what's wrong with you. My dad had severe hip pain just prior to retirement. His hip was perfect, but he had a pinched nerve in his back. A little therapy and exercise (plus retirement), and he's 100% now. But he found out by going to the doctor, not by googling his body parts (that sounds soooo dirty).

2. I highly doubt your buddies are right. Your medical history is confidential; if you can pass the FD's physical, I don't see where the department can do any more than that.

Just get to the doctor!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

My problem:

Seeing your Doctor for this is good advice.

One question for you though... Years ago I had a problem much like yours. All of a sudden, I thought, my hip started hurting all the time and especially when I tried to run. I went to the Doctor and the first thing he asked me was to show him my wallet. I pulled it out of my pocket (on the painful side I might add) and showed it to him. He then asked me if I carried it there all of the time, and I said "Yes". He then said "That's your problem". The wallet I was carrying at the time was about and inch and a half thick. He told me that wallets are a very common cause of hip pain in men when they carry it in their rear pockets. Sitting on it continually tends to throw the hip out of alignment.

So, the question is, are you doing what I used to do?

Since that day over 20 years ago I haven't carried my wallet in my back pocket and haven't had any more hip pain.

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Your "buddies" don't seem to be to bright. They're not on the list are they? If you really want to do this job see a doctor. End of story!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Since that day over 20 years ago I haven't carried my wallet in my back pocket and haven't had any more hip pain.
    I concur! AND see your Doctor - thats the only BEST way to find out what the problem is and how to appropriately treat it.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Early Adopter

How will the department know you've been to a doctor?

MembersZone Subscriber

See the doctor, it could be somthing as simple as being out of alignment. A chiropractor could solve your problem after the Dr's diagnosis with little problems allowing you to remain in the academy class and able to particapate. Good luck.
    ex Chief 500

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by station75 View Post
    Seeing your Doctor for this is good advice.

One question for you though... Years ago I had a problem much like yours. All of a sudden, I thought, my hip started hurting all the time and especially when I tried to run. I went to the Doctor and the first thing he asked me was to show him my wallet. I pulled it out of my pocket (on the painful side I might add) and showed it to him. He then asked me if I carried it there all of the time, and I said "Yes". He then said "That's your problem". The wallet I was carrying at the time was about and inch and a half thick. He told me that wallets are a very common cause of hip pain in men when they carry it in their rear pockets. Sitting on it continually tends to throw the hip out of alignment.

Good Luck!
    You beat me to it. One of my firefighters was complaining of hip and lower back pain, went to his doctor and the doc made the same diagnosis. Of course, his wallet was a little lighter after making the health insurance co-payment!

PS: still go to the Doc to make sure!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    A couple of things...

2. I highly doubt your buddies are right. Your medical history is confidential; if you can pass the FD's physical, I don't see where the department can do any more than that.

Just get to the doctor!
    From what I know, that may not be exactly true. Whenever you apply for public safety jobs, you sign a waiver of some sort to where they can go into your medical background. He even said they can use your SSN to look up anytime you've went to a hospital or a licensed practitioner. So if my buddy is right, here's a scenario that plays in my mind.

I'm running, my hip hurts so much and I can't continue. I tell the instructor and he tells his superiors. They look into my medical history and see that I've visited a doctor for this very problem. They will then approach me and say "Why didn't you tell us before" and may look like deception on my part. I'd like to think that my friend may still be wrong, but he's been through 3 police academies and was injured in one of them.

I really don't know what to do!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by station75 View Post

Good Luck!
    When the hip pain started this was one of the first things I've changed. I now carry the wallet in my front left pocket. I've been doing this for about 2 - 3 weeks now with no difference.

Forum Member

As many have said, get it looked at. If you have physio coverage or can get to a physio, do so. I get accupuncture done for various things and it does a world of good... of course you have to know what's being treated first.

Don't worry about what might happen, do your best to prevent it! Best of luck and congratulations!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    From what I've been told, they can look it up by your SSN.

MembersZone Subscriber

HIPPA laws- they cant look into your medical records without your consent. Besides, if you havent started the academy yet, its not like you are on their insurance. Not that it matters anyway, even if you were on city/govt insurance, they still can't look at your records.

Good Luck with your career.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

No one can check your medical history. You may have to sign a release for your medical records if you do not accept the request to go see the department or municipalities physician for a physical. Some allow you to submit your records instead of seeing their doctor to save the budget.
    I suggest going to a doctor, and stop speculating!

I'm surprised no one said........"WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET?"
    Think first and be safe. Your family wants to hold you, not a folded flag.

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders

Forum Member

So what do you plan on doing, reporting to the academy and saying you injured yourself there? Quickest way to lose your job. Stop being silly, tell your buddy he's a moron, and go to the doctor. Just because you see a doctor doesn't mean you will be fired. We had a kid break his leg a week before the academy, he was rolled back to the next class. Things happen in life, if you try and hide it from the department, that will get you in trouble more than the injury. And, why in the hell would your buddy go through THREE police academies?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    When your current insurancehas to talk to the new insurance to cover existing conditions, but by that time he will already be on the job, and the insurance companies should not be talking to the employer anyhow, thank you for one good thing HIPPA
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

From what I've been told, they can look it up by your SSN.
    wrong, tell your friends to jump i a lake and go get yourself to an MD
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    HIPPA laws- they cant look into your medical records without your consent. Besides, if you havent started the academy yet, its not like you are on their insurance. Not that it matters anyway, even if you were on city/govt insurance, they still can't look at your records.

Good Luck with your career.

Stay Safe
    I may have given them consent when I signed forms for them to go into my background before I got hired. Whether or not these forms pertained to medical records, I'm just not sure.

Good thing's happening

Now this is gonna sound Harsh to some....BUT STOP BEIN A LIL BISH!!! So what you signed that consent? BIG DEAL. SO they find out that you been to a doctor. Get the Diagnisis Already and stop being a worried lil GIRL that you are being. They cant remove you if you see a doctor. If anything they ask you why you saw a doc. and you be honest with them and then they will ask how did it turn out are you still in severe Pain ? your reply is No its all taken care of....if anything while your in the academy and the instructors see something wrong with you and ask you about it and ASK why you havent been to a doc they are going to be EVEN more Mad that you didnt....SO STOP BEIN A LIL CRY BABY and GO SEE THE DOC.

Rob

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Now this is gonna sound Harsh to some....BUT STOP BEIN A LIL BISH!!! So what you signed that consent? BIG DEAL. SO they find out that you been to a doctor. Get the Diagnisis Already and stop being a worried lil GIRL that you are being. They cant remove you if you see a doctor. If anything they ask you why you saw a doc. and you be honest with them and then they will ask how did it turn out are you still in severe Pain ? your reply is No its all taken care of....if anything while your in the academy and the instructors see something wrong with you and ask you about it and ASK why you havent been to a doc they are going to be EVEN more Mad that you didnt....SO STOP BEIN A LIL CRY BABY and GO SEE THE DOC.

Rob
    Nice Rob, a simple, I agree with the above would have been fine.

Forum Member

Please understand that what follows is NOT legal advice. I cannot offer any opinion on your situation because I do not know enough about it.

So, IN GENERAL:

HIPAA strictly limits employer access to health records. This includes public employers. The general rule is that they can have access to the information needed to pay your benefits and no more. Most, BUT NOT ALL, HIPAA protections may be waived.

HIPAA provides you with the right to know who has been given access to your records.

A great many states have privacy protections STRONGER than HIPAA.

Go to the doctor.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Nothing Harsh there... You're exactly right. If this guy wants to be a firefighter so bad, he needs to get this thing taken care of. Why on earth would he think that they'd fire him for taking care of himself? That makes no sense.

The way I see it, this guy has two options...

1. He listens to his knuckleheaded cop buddy and avoids the doctor. He reports to the academy, he can't do any sort of PT because of his hip and they give him the boot.

2. He goes to the doctor, finds out what's wrong and gets better. He reports to the academy, is able to do all activities because he's healing and he starts the best career in the world.

Hrm. Which would I choose?
    Last edited by cozmosis; 06-07-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Thread Information