Thread: Carl Plaugher

Forum Member

Thumbs down Carl Plaugher

Can anyone give me information on Carl Plaugher? He is the Chief of the Orange County Fire Rescue Department and is responsible for RUINING it along with Mayor Rich Crotty. Any feedback on him would be great. He used to work for Savannah FD I believe. He does not support his firefighters one bit and is pretty much Crottys "yes man".

Forum Member

Googled it

Carl L. Plaugher was appointed the Fire Chief of the Orange County Fire Rescue Department on December 18, 2000. He heads a fire department with over 1100 members serving over 700,000 citizens. Chief Plaugher's career spans more than 34 years as a fire service professional.

Prior to joining Orange County, Chief Plaugher held the position of Fire Chief for the City of Savannah, Georgia. In that position, he had responsibility for directing the strategic and operational functions for one of our oldest, most beautiful urban cities. Before joining Savannah Fire and Emergency Services in 1997, Chief Plaugher was a member of the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, Fairfax Virginia. In his 24 years career with Fairfax County, he held positions as firefighter, company officer, battalion chief, and both deputy fire chief in field operations, as well as three years as Deputy Fire Chief, EMS Division.

Chief Plaugher earned a Master of Public Administration and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Fire Administration and Technology from George Mason University, and graduated from Northern Virginia Community College with an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Fire Science. In addition, Chief Plaugher graduated from the National Fire Academy's Executive Fire Officer Program and is a Certified Fire Officer, as designated by the Center for Public Safety Excellence.

He is a member of the International Association of Fire Chiefs and National Fire Protection Association, and is a contributor to the 1996 book entitled Model Procedures Guide for High-Rise Fire Fighting.
    GeorgiaFF20

MembersZone Subscriber

Default plaugher

hey im in the hiring process for orange county right now and i wanted to know why you think that about him i have done some research on him so that i can be prepared for an interview and i havent found anything negative what so ever please let me know why you have such a negative disposition towards him
    Pat

FossilMedic

Default Third thread on same rant

Giga:

Are you a member of Local 2057? http://www.iaff2057.com/mem/

There are much more effective ways of getting the information you seek than by posting multiple threads here. I am sure the leadership of Local 574 and 2068 can provide the leadership of 2057 with information.

I think that property tax reform with be more ruinous to the OCFD than the fire chief: http://www.fpfp.org/Docs/Legislative...ion%200511.pdf

I worked for Chief Plaugher, the term "yes man" is profoundly inaccurate.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 06-11-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    Giga:

Are you a member of Local 2057? http://www.iaff2057.com/mem/

There are much more effective ways of getting the information you seek than by posting multiple threads here. I am sure the leadership of Local 574 and 2068 can provide the leadership of 2057 with information.

I think that property tax reform with be more ruinous to the OCFD than the fire chief: http://www.fpfp.org/Docs/Legislative...ion%200511.pdf

I worked for Chief Plaugher, the term "yes man" is profoundly inaccurate.

Mike
    Must be a differnet Carl Plaugher. The one that I am talking about sits by while his FD gets no contract and offers no support. Moral has never been lower.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pciddy View Post
    hey im in the hiring process for orange county right now and i wanted to know why you think that about him i have done some research on him so that i can be prepared for an interview and i havent found anything negative what so ever please let me know why you have such a negative disposition towards him
    Pat
    hey pciddy, I am just very upset with the County Mayor and our Chief right now. We are going through a tough contract negotiation right now and I have been venting. I probably should have used better judgement and not come on here and bash our Chief. Don't get me wrong, I love working for OCFD, we just need to iron out some pay issues. As far as your interview goes, he will ask you why you want to be a firefighter, why do you want to work for OCFD, where do you see yourself in 10 years, tell me a little bit about yourself. he is big into fitness, and is a very approachable guy. He is a polotician to the core. Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. Please, wear a suit and tie to the interview!

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by gigafire View Post
    Must be a differnet Carl Plaugher. The one that I am talking about sits by while his FD gets no contract and offers no support. Moral has never been lower.
    Nope, same guy.

Not to make you any unhappier, but is it the fire chief's job to advocate for a contract or is that the role of labor? In some other (and smaller) Florida jurisdictions it seems clear that the mayors and city managers prefer to jerk unionized firefighters around - even after accumulating various unfair labor practice rulings against them.

I acknowledge that you are in a tough situation that may become even tougher with the proposed property tax reforms. If I was the mayor or county manager I would hold off signing any new labor contracts until I knew how bad the decline in property tax revenue will be.

Good luck.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 06-12-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks Mike, your right. I have let my emotions get the better of me. Stay safe bro.

Thread Information