Banned

Default Immigration Telephone Poll

A new telephone poll taken by the Florida Governor's office, asked whether people who live in Florida think illegal immigration is a serious problem:

29% of respondents answered: "Yes, it is a serious problem."

71% of respondents answered: "No es una problema seriosa."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Well...........

Put me down as one of the 29%
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Put me down as one of the 29%
    Careful there Chief. You'll be lumped into the Racist category that I have been put into.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up That's OK...........

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Careful there Chief. You'll be lumped into the Racist category that I have been put into.

You and I lumped into the same Class?? That's OK by me.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Veintinueve por ciento? Es demasiado...

Just kidding....

Forum Member

Best I've been able to determine, illegal immigration has a roughly $26B impact on a $13T economy. That's a whopping 2%. Hardly enough to get worked up about.

America has always desired a source of cheap labor. Currently it's coming from Mexico. When NAFTA passed it put the mexican agricultural business in competition with federally subsidized American farmers. Sooooo....all the agricultural labor force just north to find work.

Prior to 1882 there were no restrictions on US entry. All immigration was legal. If your ancestors came before 1882, they came here legally because there were simply no restrictions.

From 1882 until 1921 the only people who were restricted from entering the US were Chinese citizens. All other immigration was legal. If your ancestors were not Chinese and came here before 1921, they came here legally because there were simply no restrictions.

I often hear people complaining about illegal immigrants who also note proudly that “My ancestors came here legally!”

Big whoop.

In most cases your ancestors came here legally because there was no other way.

And recently, in 1975, the U.S. Congress quickly passed the Refugee Act to provide asylum to 125,000 fleeing South Vietnamese despite major opposition. Now nearly 2 million are living in the U.S. as result of the boat people exodus and reeducation camp survivors/family reunifications.

Did war enable Cubans, Iranians, Kosovars, Somalis, South Koreans, and Vietnamese to immigrate legally and more quickly? Do intelligent Indians and Pakistanis get preferential treatment for H-1B visas? Does poverty make illegal immigrant less desirable or it it purely a pay-for-public benefits dilemma?

If the US shared a border with Sweden and we were being invaded by the womans bikini volleyball team I doubt there would be as much opposition. To claim race isn't a factor in the immigration debate is myopic at best.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Best I've been able to determine, illegal immigration has a roughly $26B impact on a $13T economy. That's a whopping 2%. Hardly enough to get worked up about.
    It's especially laughable when you think of how much Bush's stupid war is costing us on a daily basis, something the anti-immigration righties here supported 100%.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    If the US shared a border with Sweden and we were being invaded by the womans bikini volleyball team I doubt there would be as much opposition. To claim race isn't a factor in the immigration debate is myopic at best.

Illegal is illegal. I am not for good looking illegal immigrants entering any more than I am for those less attractive.

Race is not a factor. I do not care. I am sick of being told by the enlightened and empowered ones that people who come to the United States by not following the laws are to be given a chance because they want to be law abiding citizens. When every action that occurs in their lives, and the lives that theirs touch is the direct result of a known violation of laws.

And exactly which other laws would you like us to just allow to fall to the wayside? I repulses me when elected officials continuously rant on one hand how "We are a nation of laws" yet want to ignore an entire segment of the population who continuously violate laws.

As for your statement about the cost of illegal immigration on our nation's economy, I would like to know the source of your figure.

Perhaps we could use that money elsewhere in our budget and economy. Oh well, I suppose we should just let that money go away.

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    It's especially laughable when you think of how much Bush's stupid war is costing us on a daily basis, something the anti-immigration righties here supported 100%.
    But by numerous polls (which we all know "run" politics) greater than 70% of the population wish for the immigration laws to actually be overhauled, enforced, and to have this issue taken care of.

Iraq has nothing to do with this, yet you take each and every opportunity to turn each and every thread about Iraq.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

55 Years & Still Rolling

Angry Here's My Bit_h..............

My problem is Language and customs......

ANYONE who wants to stay here permanently SHOULD BE REQUIRED to learn to Read, Write, and Speak English. Period. Totally. Students and anyone else who is here TEMPORARILY need not do this, Temporarily being a couple of years, then leaving, maybe longer for College Students.

Sending Money home may seem like a humanitarian gesture, but I think it should be Prohibited. Keep our money here in the U.S.

I also feel that we should REQUIRE that Packaging, Signs, etc in Stores be in English ONLY. Anyone that wants to read signs in Spanish should go to Spain. NO other country adds English to their Packaging and Signs, why do we have to add Spanish?

As far as I'm concerned, any non-English speaking person should be sent home. Now.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, any non-English speaking person should be sent home. Now.
    What if they were born in the US?

My neighbor's mother was born in Milwaukee in the 20's. Her parents were German long since deceased. The woman now in her 80's doesn't speak a word of english. She didn't need to since she lived in a part of town where being able to function in english isn't required.

Exactly to which home should she be sent?
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-10-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Forum Member

Forum Member

If the figures quoted in that presentation (an admittedly biased one) it seems that we have blown WAY past the $26,000,000,000 quoted by SC.

Forum Member

Iraq has nothing to do with this, yet you take each and every opportunity to turn each and every thread about Iraq.
    Just making a point. It's pretty funny how guys like you cry and whine about how much the unwashed are costing the taxpayers, but have no problem at all throwing billions upon billions a month down the tubes in Iraq. You're willing to waste thousands upon thousands of lives as well, "helping" people halfway around the world, and you won't even let hardworking people just across our border who want a better life pick your food for minimum wage.
    Pathetic.

Forum Member

Damn. Too bad they didn't have that rule when your ancestors hit the shores, huh?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    If the figures quoted in that presentation (an admittedly biased one) it seems that we have blown WAY past the $26,000,000,000 quoted by SC.
    Okay. Let's assume the $69B figure is correct. That's a whopping 5% impact on a $13T economy. I still find it hard to believe that is the significant impact being put forth as a dire emergency as the makers of that video would have you believe.

Banned

What I find interesting is that unemployment is around 4 or 5 percent and our government needs to do something about that. Yet, in the same breath, we talk about getting cheap labor from Mexico, which by the way, the Unions really don't want. Illegal immigrants cost us in the form of crime, lost jobs, lost tax dollars, and these same people are able to get benefits from te various social programs. Go to LA and look at the homeless people sleeping in the parks. And tell me agian why it is OK to let the illegals in. There is a legal why into this country, use it or go home

And by the way, according to US immigration laws, to become a citizen use must be able to read, write, and speak english. Nothing frustrates me more than to walk into an American store ony to find a clerk that can't speak the language. Happened in a Mcdonalds near Nogales, and it happens in every chinese restaurant you walk into.

Forum Member

Roosevelt says it all....

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Illegal immigrants cost us in the form of crime, lost jobs, lost tax dollars, and these same people are able to get benefits from te various social programs.
    Back up there good buddy. Which taxes are NOT paid by illegal immigrants? They pay either directly or indirectly all the taxes both of us pay.

Banned

Back up there good buddy. Which taxes are NOT paid by illegal immigrants? They pay either directly or indirectly all the taxes both of us pay.
    How do they pay taxes? They have no SSN. How many work under the table? How many claim high exemptions and never fillout their tax return? If they are here illegally they can't risk getting caught. I'm willing to bet they don't pay into the Social Security system (tough to do without being a US citizen and having an SSN). That means a 14% loss in revenues.

IACOJ BOD

Which magic carpet allowed the 14% figure to float out of nowhere?

Just once, can you produce evidence, that isn't cousin Billy-Bobs latest guestimate.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    How do they pay taxes? They have no SSN. How many work under the table? How many claim high exemptions and never fillout their tax return? If they are here illegally they can't risk getting caught. I'm willing to bet they don't pay into the Social Security system (tough to do without being a US citizen and having an SSN). That means a 14% loss in revenues.

Just a side note: Non-citizens pay SS

Forum Member

Default Social Security Tax....

I work as an independent contractor, and have to pay 15.29% tax for Social Security. This amount is figured from my earnings. If a person is employed through an employer who pays taxes, usually the employee will have half of this amout withheld from their pay, and the employer will pay the matching half..

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post Ok................

What if they were born in the US?

My neighbor's mother was born in Milwaukee in the 20's. Her parents were German long since deceased. The woman now in her 80's doesn't speak a word of english. She didn't need to since she lived in a part of town where being able to function in english isn't required.

Exactly to which home should she be sent?
    My apoligies to your neighbor's Mother. Most folks would understand that persons in such a circumstance would be exempt from the type of regulation that I propose. Ladies and Gentlemen of her position are not part of our Nation's Immigration Problem. People under 60 showing up here from other countries and DEMANDING rights ARE the problem.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Which magic carpet allowed the 14% figure to float out of nowhere?

Just once, can you produce evidence, that isn't cousin Billy-Bobs latest guestimate.
    It's around 14%, 7.1 paid by the employee and 7.1 paid by the employer, then they though in Medicaid so you are right it is closer to 15% Sorry bout that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by malana1 View Post
    Just a side note: Non-citizens pay SS
    How do they do that? Don't you need an SSN? Don't you need to be a citizen to get a SSN?

But the better question is do you think someone who is in this country illegally will pay the taxes?

Thread Information