Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resumes?

Forum Member

Default Resumes?

Im putting in a few applications for part time FF/EMT at some local departments. Would it help to include a short 1 page resume when I turn in my applications? The applications themselves are pretty standard, basically include an area for work and educational history, and an area for a short "what other skills do you have that might be benifitial", along with the standart app questions.

I just recently left a previous department where I was paid on call due to a move(college transfer), and my old chief said he would be happy to write a letter of recomendation, so that would also be another option.

Thanks for any advice!

Forum Member

Default Requests?

Did they ask for a resume or letters? Call HR and ask them if not sure. Only send what they ask for.

More on Letters of recommendation here: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=91309
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

No they did not. But I thought a short resume might help imply proffesionalism and that im taking the application seriously. I am also typing my apps.

Forum Member

I have always sent a resume with an application no matter what the job was. In my experience it never has hurt. It seems to me that if someplace doesn't want a resume or other paperwork with the app. they just remove it. But I have seen places that specifically say not to send a resume or anything else, places like that I only send them what they ask for. But if it doesn't say anything about what "not" to send I would say go ahead and put it in there just make sure it is a good resume as far as spelling and stuff like that go. Just my opinion, good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Resumes
    Many firefighter candidates believe that their resume doesn’t have to be perfect. Some feel as if they can explain themselves in the interview: “My resume doesn’t have to be perfect; I’ll worry about it if they ask me.”
    In most testing processes, a resume is submitted with the initial application. By the time a candidate reaches the oral interview, the panel has already reviewed the application and attached resume. If there are any discrepancies, the evaluators will circle them and ask the candidate during the interview. Inconsistencies can include a typographical error, a gap in employment or a lack of follow through in completing a degree. Whichever the case, your resume is a statement of who you are that arrives long before you do.
    Oral interviews are usually scheduled in rapid succession. As a result, the interviewers do not have a lot of time to extract information from the resume. Studies show that the average interviewer spends 8 – 15 seconds reviewing a resume. If your resume is not clear and concise, it will be of no value since the reader will not dig deeply for information.
    Standard fire department resumes should be kept to one page. Some departments will allow two pages, but these seem to be in the minority. Consequently, the resume must be clear and concise and spell out your accomplishments. If all of your “gold” is buried, the board will not discover it. Before putting down a single word, take a few moments to outline your accomplishments. Decide what your best accomplishments are and build around them.
    Many of the candidates we encounter are working professionals who have decided on a career change. The resume that worked to get them a job as a teacher, computer programmer or stockbroker does not work for the fire department. Fire departments are not looking for resumes loaded with “credentials” that do not apply to the job. We are not impressed if you are proficient on Java Script or Excel spread sheets. Are these helpful? Well, technically yes, but we would rather see EMT, fire science courses and practical hands on experience.
    Common mistakes these professionals make is taking up too much space on the descriptions of their job duties. We really are not interested in the fact that you were part of a technical team which incorporated new software into the computer network or that you were in charge of adding the food coloring to the drink dispenser at the fast food restaurant. My suggestion is to keep the job descriptions brief. If we want to know more, we will ask you. Use the valuable space listing items related to the job of a firefighter.
    Resumes should be created using clear, concise language describing tangible, no-nonsense skills: competent in Vertical Ventilation, able to converse in Spanish…. Always steer clear of fluff words and phrases like the following: self-motivated, excellent track record, and honest. That’s up to the panel to decide.
    Another thing to avoid putting on a fire department resume is “References available upon request.” If you are going to be selected to continue in the employment process, you will be asked to provide them. Besides, nobody ever puts anyone down as a reference who would say something negative about him or her. In other words, references really don’t add much to the package.
    Email addresses aren’t worth the space they take on the resume. This is particularly true if your personal email address is unconventional or “cute.” Leave them off the page. Besides, email addresses change like the weather, and your application will be on file for the life of the list, which often exceeds four years. If the fire department needs to contact you, they have your phone number and address.
    If you are like many of the applicants who are trying to “squeeze” in all of their related coursework and certificates, you may try organizing your achievements in two or three columns instead of listing them in a single column. This allows you to get the maximum usage out of each line.
    Evaluate the relevancy of your early experience. Taking a first aid and CPR course is great, but it loses its importance once you have completed an EMT course. In fact, if it is still in place the reader gets the impression you are trying to “fluff” up your resume.
    A clean, clear and concise resume can be designed on your personal computer using a resume program. Once the basic template has been designed, the user is able to add or delete information with ease. In addition, the resume may be customized to include the name of the department you are applying for.
    If you are having difficulty designing your resume, enlist the services of a friend. If this is not possible, professional resume writers can be located in the phone book. The downside of having your resume professionally done is that each time you want to add a new class or accomplishment, you have to pay for it. It is also costly to tailor it each time you apply for a different department. A solution may be to have a professional resume writer create a template and provide you with a disc that you can save in your computer. This would allow you to make future modifications without incurring further expense.
    Always proofread your resume. Once you are finished with it, give it to a friend or two. It is very difficult to proofread your own material. You know what it should say, and overlook the errors.
    I have included a few of sample resumes to give you some ideas. Feel free to use any of them as a template for getting started.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Banned

Default add your ff resume!

I would definitely include a resume or at least bring one to the interview. I’m struggling through putting together my resume and am going to hire a company that deals with writing fire department firefighter resumes.

Exclamation

See my reply to stcaf.

If they ask you to submit one then do so. If not, don't. It may cut your throat, as you will indicate to them that you can't follow instructions.

Forum Member

In my opinion you are not a serious candidate without a resume. My expectation is that your resume will be free of errors and well thought out.
    Here is who did mine:
    Laneybelk@aol.com
    For the record, I am not affiliated in any way. Laney is someone who can get the job done andis extremely professional (and reasonably priced)
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Default Check out a few services to get the best fit for you.

There are other resume services out there as well. I used fdresume and they did a great job. Google search them, I think the web page is www.fdresume.com. Just make sure to use a service that knows the fire service. If you use a service that does business resumes, they won’t know what the heck you are talking about.

Check out all the services out there and find the right fit for you. Don’t let some pressure salesman sell you crap. You will only get a crap product.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    See my reply to stcaf.

If they ask you to submit one then do so. If not, don't. It may cut your throat, as you will indicate to them that you can't follow instructions.

I just read and posted on that one as well. Looks like he/she is in the same boat.

Thread Information