Forum Member

Default Tell me about "RIT" rope...please.

Hello all...

I have been given the job of getting rope to be used for "RIT" for my FD.

What are you all using?

Size dia/length...
    Any specicial features...
    Colors...
    Bags / deployment systems / carrying systems / so on...

Any other info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Member
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

There are tons of options out there as I am sure you are finding out. What is your budget? That will drive you in the direction of the most bang for the buck. While the kevlar ropes are nice, durable adn high temp rated, I personally think that the same job can be accomplished for a lot less. There are great ropes out there with reflective tracers in them so you can find them when you get separated. It's not if, it's when. Then you need to decide how you are going to use the rope. Will it be knotted, knotted and ringed or just rope. Make sure that whatever system you buy or put together yourself is manageable. You need to take the rope bag with you not drag the rope like a hoseline in order to prevent getting hung up. I have seen guys use anywhere from 8mm to 1/2" rope. We are using 3/8 (10mm for you metric guys) rope with the reflective tracer. We put a ladder hook on the end for quick attachement at the entry point. The sky is the limit, but make sure that whatever you use that it is user friendly and will work for your situation.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT rope

I've been through 4 RIT classes, 2 from the best guys in the biz, Mike Mason and Jim Crawford. Not knowing what you know about RIT, rope is arguably the most important tool for RIT. Not only do you need it as a tag line to the outside of the building you need it for pulling people up out of basements, etc. Static Kernmantle rope would probably be best, lengths can vary but if you use short sections you'll need multiple bags of rope, you never know how big the building is going to be that you'll need to search in, so a few hundred feet isn't unrealistic. Any regular rope bag seems to work just fine, just like anything else you just need to be familiar with your equipment and how it works. I've never been told that color would make any difference, you probably won't be able to see well anyway if you're actually using it. As for size, 3/16" is what I've always used in my classes and at work, you don't need anything big like a 1/2" rope, you're not hanging a ship off it so you don't need that much of a safety factor. Hope that helps, I'd be glad to pass on more info if you need it.

If you're talking about a window bailout system, I personally have a FESH hook and it works well.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are many options available to you. As said before whats your budget and do a little bit of research and youshould be ok. Also check out www.rapidintervention.com

Forum Member

We use the same as Bones42. They cost a bit but are definately worth the investment. Definately go for the 200ft. If you need to deploy you want to secure the rope to a substantial object outside away from any smoke. If that's a tree in a front yard or fence you could use(and lose) 20 - 50ft of search rope before you hit the front door. Think what you're left with. Commercial buildings..K-Mart..supermarkets..churches..schools will all require longer ropes. We also put two Coast Guard approved strobes in each bag. They're waterproof and durable. They can be used to mark anything..hole in floor,multiple victoms, etc. Even in very limited visibility they definately do work. A good set of wire cutters in case someones entangeled. And a few nonlocking carabiners for doing a change of direction and securing it to the victom. Guess I got away from the rope a bit.

Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback.

What is our budget? Well at this time "whatever it takes"...

len1582 wrote "Guess I got away from the rope a bit." Yes you did but thanks...I appreciate it. One thing always seems to lead to another in this job so keep up the advise, we all can use some. I am listening to EVERYTHING that is being said here.

I am at this time looking for "Search Rope" to be carried with our "RIT" gear. We have at this time four sets of "RIT" gear, one on each of our Engines and one on our Ladder Truck. At this time I am thinking about getting 4 - 100 to 150 ft 3/8" or so search lines with an eye on each end... one for each unit. I kinda like the PMI "Search Line" with the Kevlar core. I also would like this line to be reflective. I need to get this "search line" ASAP and I plan on adding "Tag Lines" and such in the future. This is what came out of our Staff meeting about one hr ago.

Any input would be appreciated...we have NOT bought anything yet.

Thanks again to you all. I'm still waiting for more ideas...

MEDIC-0372
    Last edited by MEDIC0372; 06-12-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Forum Member

Medic email me directly and I can help you guys out. RIT is in my backyard and I have access to tons of other stuff as well.

jason@jbrescue.com
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Ladder and Rescue Companies have rope bags w/ 200' of 8mm kevlar search rope here, and truck co's bring it with them when assigned as the FAST ladder.

We also have 40' personal search/utility ropes on our masks. One end has a clip (like this) that can be hooked on the big rope and slid along,

and the other end is secured to the same clip that attaches the bag to the mask.

The 200 foot line used to be knotted every 25 feet, now that's been changed to unknotted. Drills showed that an officer on the main line could direct FF's searching off of it better by voice and hands on commands than w/ a system of knots at regular intervals. This was especially true if the officer had a TIC, and if the building had an irregular layout.

This seems to work pretty well, and might be cheaper than that commercial system.

Forum Member

The 200 foot line used to be knotted every 25 feet, now that's been changed to unknotted. Drills showed that an officer on the main line could direct FF's searching off of it better by voice and hands on commands than w/ a system of knots at regular intervals.
    We had those same findings.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We have the knots. They do more than indicate an area to search. They also let the I.C. know your location in the building. Every time we come to a knot the officer notifies the I.C. ( Ladder 6 to command 5 knots in along the Bravo wall, continuing search). Should there be a collapse or other problem where the search team gives a mayday the I.C. has an idea of their location. Imagine hearing a mayday along the Bravo wall of a 250ft long commercial building? Maybe there's a side door 80ft in. Or no door and you need to breech the wall before they run out of air. Where do you start? We see the knots as a part of accountability in the building. Also, as a team exits they quickly report( Ladder 6 to command 4 knots,exiting....3 knots exiting and so on.)
    If you feel what you have suits your needs that's fine. Just throwing in my 3 cents....Len

Forum Member

Please remember that voice commands only work as well as the ambient sounds allow. I dont know about you, but EVERY fireground I was on sounds noisy as hell. We use 1/2" static kern mantle as a main line and search ropes are extended 15 ft. off each side knotted every 5 ft for identification and attached to the main line via binner and prussik loop. Each FF searchs 5 ft intervals at a time working from the main line straight out then swings BACKWARDS toward the main line then returns to purssik and repeats at each knot to the end of the search line. They they slide the pussik up the main line and repeat the process. Intended for a large area search not VES.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe I am not reading this right, or maybe something else was being discussed. I've seen mention for ropes for self bail out and search ropes.

If it is about "rope" for use in a RIT situation, I would recommend webbing. Webbing has just as good strength as rope, is more easily carried in pockets, and has slightly better abrasion resistance than rope.

Using webbing, you can easily and quickly tie off the injured or trapped firefighter and pull.

If it is lengthy, I would recommend tying a water bend in the webbing, wrapping a big loop around the body and through the groin in a criss-cross fashion. Clip a carabinner at the head capturing all loops. This gives you the ability to hoist or pull the firefighter using rescue rope.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Webbing is exactly what should be attached to the victim. Dragging, hauling, lowering, it does it all.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Thread Information