Default a question about 7012 and DOD age limit

heres my question im currently in the navy im a crash and salvage crew men i would like to go to 7012 school but is there any way to get the school with out signing up for another 2 years? because if i do that ill be 36 and from what ive been told DOD only hires up to 35 so that would taking out of the running for a job as a DOD firefighter.

Forum Member

I was in the same boat myself except that I was an AG2. I checked out the air guard and found a unit within close range of home and after serving my 8 years active, joined the air guard and got the AFSC fire protection. Arrived at Goodfellow as a SSGT and lived the good life. The recruiters will tell you they can't get the school but if you tell them you are not signing, they will get it for you and it is almost a guarantee if you have firefighting experience. Any questions, message me.

Jason

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by suberstar View Post
    heres my question im currently in the navy im a crash and salvage crew men i would like to go to 7012 school but is there any way to get the school with out signing up for another 2 years? because if i do that ill be 36 and from what ive been told DOD only hires up to 35 so that would taking out of the running for a job as a DOD firefighter.
    Even though you are acouple of years over the 35 y/o limit. You do get an age credit back when serving in the military. You can buy back I believe up to four years of military time.

Forum Member

engineer200:

I have 15 years as a DoD FF and 5 as a DoD contract FF. I have NEVER heard of the "buying back" military time nto get an age credit back. Where is that is 5 USC? It does not address that issue.

Maximum entry age is 37. Period. UNLESS, a waiver can be had for a position which is critical and hard to fill. I have seen that 3 times in all my years...

Forum Member

The best thing for Suberstar would be either find a firefighter reserve unit and get into the Academy ASAP, or just stay in and reup in the Navy. If you do the reserve thing apply to ever DoD firefighter job in the world. What ever you do donít restrict your job search to one area. BTW the Army Reserve (at least my unit) is not sending any one to the Academy till after October because of money issues.

thanks for your replys thats some good advice. but can any one confirm the age buy back or is this just not true? and one more question after you finish the academy how easy or how hard is it to get a job with the DOD? assuming location isnt an issue. well as of right now i think i may just stay navy if i can get the school do my shore duty then get out and apply for as many jobs as i can. BTW will being older hurt my chances of getting hired?

im not sure if this is a double post but heres my question once you go through the DOD academy how easy or hard is it to get a job ad a DOD firefighter? BTW can any one confirm the buy back of age for serving in the military or is this just not true? well thanks for all the advice it really let me know that theres some options other then staying in the navy.

Forum Member

There is no provision for "age buy back" only time for retirement purposes. I repeat 37 is the max age at time of appointment. I was prior Navy also. If you really want to be a Fed firefighter. Get out now and get your classes in. ProBoard does not recognize many Navy certs. Get to a vollie house and take your classes. Being a vet helps with getting on. As mentioned earlier appy everywhere. Get your foot in the door and then transfer close to where you ant to be. That said. Many local departments do not have an age restriction and are vet friendly. They also have a better shift schedule.

Forum Member

Default Age question

On the age thing. . .

I am totally not familiar with DoD, but I interpret this as you can be hired while you are still 37, but cannot be hired on or after the birthhday in which you turn 38. DoD guys, is that correct?

Thank you!

Forum Member

I believe the wording in most vacancy postings is "must not have reached 37th b-day on day of appointment. We have a mandatory retirement at age 57. I heard recently about a OPM reg that negates the age restriction for positions above the firefighter level, but we are still investigating that.

Default age limit

The maximum entry age is 37, see dod regulation 1400.25M.

Thread Information