Iranfromthezoo

Default new house question

Hey guys i just moved into a new house. It's a nice old farm house built in the early 1900's. No one has lived in it for 7 years but it was such a great place that i had to have it. It's got oak trees all over and it's on a old dirt road. It's a great place. So far I've had to replace the roof and had to put a window a/c unit in...

I'm having a problem with pests i.e. ants and roaches. what's the best way to get rid of them. I've bought the RAID traps and the ant killer but nothings working.

I was also wondering if you had any advice for getting my new house...what to do and stuff? I am 600 miles from home so its kind of lonely here for now....I want a black lab.

Also is there anywhere to get like fire dept collectible items?

Forum Member

For the pests, get bug bombs that you can buy at Wal-Mart. Place several on every level of the house, including the basement so that they don't go from one level to another. If you have to, get a pro. exterminator.

Is your plumbing and electrical updated? If you don't have a 200 amp braker box, I would get the wiring done. It will save you on insurance and it's safer.
    I would check every exposed wire because with it being empty for so long, critters may have chewed into it. Do you have pvc pipes for the water?

Are the wall plaster and lath or drywall? If you plan on tearing out plaster, wait and do the wiring (if it is needed) until you tear out the walls. That would also be a good time to hang insulation.

Why exactly was it empty for so long? Too high priced, or too much work to be done, or what?

I buy and rent houses, and redo them alot, so I''m enjoying this thread-thanks!

Forum Member

I worked summers in college for a pest control company. For the "critter problem".. hire a professional pest control company. The over the counter stuff doesn't have the "juice" you need to handle a 7 year infestation problem.

Fire memorabilia? E bay
    Choice of dog? Labs rock!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I worked summers in college for a pest control company. For the "critter problem".. hire a professional pest control company. The over the counter stuff doesn't have the "juice" you need to handle a 7 year infestation problem.

Fire memorabilia? E bay
    Choice of dog? Labs rock!
    I'll second the go with the pros for bugs. I like German Wirehair pointers for dogs, but they usually need to live outside.

Forum Member

One thing to consider- see if your homeowners ins offers a Code/Ordinance/Law" option or rider for your policy, and if so, GET IT.

This will cover you if, god forbid there is a fire or whatever. Right now, the Ins Company will repay you value as it it currently exists. But to make repairs, you will have to bring it up to code, which is more expensive. Code/Ordinance/Law riders pay the value of upgrading.

Also, have a licensed electrical underwriter evaluate your wiring to see exactly what you will need. And listen to angel- go to 200 amp service.

Dont forget to obtain building permits prior to construction!!!

40 yard dumpster sitting out in the open where the building inspector can see it: $400.00

Stacks of 2x4's and stacks of drywall in the driveway where the building inspector can see them: $677.00

Citation for building without a permit: $1000.00

Cost of a phone call to ask the BI/Code Enforcement Officer if you need a permit: PRICELESS!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Iranfromthezoo

thanks...

actually it was a house in the family I am renting from but it's technically my house for as long as I want it.

I just joined a fire dept up here and one of the guys on the other shift let me rent here for $300 a month...with 73 acres of land with a nice pond.

I figure going pro pest control will be good....how much would something like that cost? It's mainly ants that are the big problem...

Forum Member

I work for a big name pest co. Here in Okla we do a one year contract where we come out every three months and do an exterior barrier for $80 each regular service. If we have to come out in between the regulars it's no charge. The catch is that it will continue after the first year unless you cancel it. As for the bug bombs, don't waste your money. It will only kill whats out in the open. If any roaches are in the wall, it won't touch 'em. If your trouble is with little black ants, your best bet would be to have them do a perimeter treatment with Termidor or Phantom.

Matt

Iranfromthezoo

Smile

actually it's fire ants that are giving me the problem...

also do i need to contact ghost hunters?

Forum Member

Thankfully we don't have to deal with those yet, but they're comin this way.

Matt

Iranfromthezoo

ghost or fire ants?

Forum Member

Both of 'em.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just read somewhere that if you have a problem with ghosts, leave polka music playing full blast while you're at work.

Upon your return they will be ready to discuss a truce.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

I have heard that placing bowls of dry grits out for the ants will help reduce their numbers, as for the roaches, a bowl of beer that is too steep for them to crawl out will catch a few. However both methods seem to only work on visible pests. Have you considered a cat. I am not a cat person, but they are effective at controlling pests in houses that have been vacant for a while. Although, the professional will be the most effective. The cat would also help with any possible snakes that may migrate around the pond.. Squirrels would be a concern also. Does the house have an attic? Make sure there are no squirrels that have set up housekeeping in the roof and possibly compromised the wiring. Squirrels might even explain weird sounds that might be mistaken for the spiritual huantings. As for real ghosts, just remind them that they are dead, and if they cause any harm to you, you will kick their butts when you pass on to their side.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Oops............

Cato, You kinda let out a bit too much info.......... Now that rhvfd1214 knows that you have a Pond, he'll be over there Fishing all the time......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I would be happy to help with any snake problem. I will gladly supply the shot shells, and gun to rid the area of the leg-less demons. Of course, in return for the effort, a few trips to the pond to check out the fish would be nice..

Iranfromthezoo

rh are you anywhere near me? haha

Forum Member

Let's see. I drive two hours to fish Pickwick, three 1/2 hours to get to Bass Pro in Pearl, MS (Jackson), and usually start my week somewhere near Memphis, TN which takes just over 2hours to get to. (2 3/4 hours to Bass Pro, Memphis.). Have truck, will travel! My hometown is on the map, but look in the tiny tiny dots of Monroe County. Which reminds me, Where has arhaney been?? I haven't noticed him post in the thread killer thread in a while..

A hammer is very effective on visible pests, but it is also time consuming.

Iranfromthezoo

rh btw I just got hired on a dept in SC...no longer in Mississippi haha

I may be in pearl in a couple (5 or 6) years

Forum Member

It's been a little over a year since I have been in South Carolina.. Nice state. Nice people. They really know how to drive in South Carolina. People will let you merge with traffic, they drive slow through most construction zones, and are generally very courteous. Just be careful when you cross the state line into Georgia. When you see the peach, it means green flag and go! Also, South Carolina has some beautiful lakes and rivers. Lots of good fishing, and a mild winter climate leading to bigger fish. I think the fishing would have to be extremely good, though, before I could take off that direction on my own.. How is the bug problem comming along?

Thread Information