Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default What to wear under PPE

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to get my gear ready for my first season(all the gear that the company doesn't supply) and I'm wondering what yall wear under your PPE, nomex specifically? It seems like wearing jeans/workpants under the fire pants would be wicked hot but I suppose that's part of this game. So, what do yall wear under your nomex fire clothes?
    Also, any things that you guys would recommend that I bring that you might not have thought of your first round out or that I might not think of?
    Thanks
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

Depends on what type of gear you have. If you have the jumpsuits you might want to wear something underthem so you can change/take them off. But we are issued the standard green nomex pants and yellow shirt. I don't wear any jeans/pants under the wildland pants. I wear a cotton tshirt under my nomex shirt, depending on the weather you can wear short of long sleeve, as long as it is organic material.
    You do want to wear cotton undergarmets, bras/underwear.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Same as Ramsey... I wear my gov issued nomex pants like jeans, swapping them out with my kevlars as much as I can. short sleeve Cotton T-shirt, then my gov issued nomex shirt ...
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

nomex under nomex and cotton under nomex. Nomex uniform pants under nomex brush pants. 100% cotton tshirt under nomex brush jacket.

Thanks very much guys. Sorry if that was a stupid question.
    Mike

"The only stupid question is the one not asked" is what I always tell my crew, but there's a catch... it has to be asked in all seriousness and without attitude.

Also, alot of texts tell you to wear goggles for eye protection... um nope, don't have any on my lid. A good pair of sunglasses or regular eyeglasses is much more practical when you are on the line for 12-14 hours.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Good to know about the goggles.
    Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RxFire View Post
    Also, alot of texts tell you to wear goggles for eye protection... um nope, don't have any on my lid. A good pair of sunglasses or regular eyeglasses is much more practical when you are on the line for 12-14 hours.
    I agree with you on wearing goggles except for one thing. When you are in very windy conditions with dirt, little pebbles, brands, etc. blowing around they are nice to have. I have a pair of Goggle Mates and a Goggle cover on my helmet to keep them out of the way when I don't need them, which is most of the time.

Forum Member

A leopard-print man-pouch.

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    A leopard-print man-pouch.
    Too Much Information Too Much Information

Default in regards to the safey glasses.

I agree that sun glasses are much more comfortable than goggles for extended periods, just beware that some agencies- my state for example, will not cover you if you sustain an eye injury that occurred if you were not wearing ANSI Z83 (I think thats the number) approved safety glasses. Many sunglasses meet this, namely Oakleys and other high ends. Also, several styles are available at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Goggles do have their place, but for the most part SUCK for wildland (IMHO of course). I do have a pair, for my structure gear and they are great for extrication. We also have a few pair on our type 6 engines JIC, but they are HOT, uncomfortable and fog easily. It is nice to have but like the others said a good pair of sunglasses are the way to go! I personally like glasses like the oakleys where you can change from dark to clear lenses, I have had too many close calls in dark conditions and now wear glasses ALL the time when on the line.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

MembersZone Subscriber ramseycl's Avatar

I agree with aromania, get glasses with interchangable lenses.
    I personally prefer Smiths, and always have a spare set of lenses and clear lenses.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all"

Forum Member

Safety/Sunglasses instead of goggles here too.

But I go for the cheap safety glasses from Northern Safety. I were safety glasses every day on my regular job. I found the "FireBlazer" style very comfortable for everyday use. Fully ANSI certified as safety glasses, come with 100% UV protection. Available in clear, light tint, dark tint, yellow.

I carry a couple pairs with me all the time, clear for night time use, tinted for daylight hours. At $3.25 for Clear and $3.59 for tinted, I don't have much heart ache when the get lost/broken on the fire ground.

Several of the machinists I work with have started wearing them too.

Default Under Armor

I recommend Under Armor compression shorts to replace your everyday cotton underwear. Much more comfortable and prevents chaffing on those days with long hot hikes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PASmokeChaser View Post
    I recommend Under Armor compression shorts to replace your everyday cotton underwear. Much more comfortable and prevents chaffing on those days with long hot hikes.

If you work in fire, you should NOT wear Under Armor, from something I read awhile ago something about it not doing so well with radt heat. Your better off wearing something like cotton under your Nomex to help with the heat.
    There is a company called CarbonX that does make some underwear that is made from CarbonX, they also sell the fabric to companys like Hot Shield that you wear on your face. So if its good enough for face..good enough for the boys.

I just dont want to wear anything that has spandex when dealing with open flame or radt heat.

SMK

Forum Member

In regards to this part of your post..

Quote Originally Posted by blknwhtfoto View Post
    ....any things that you guys would recommend that I bring that you might not have thought of your first round out or that I might not think of?
    i am a probie myself, and i am from australia, so i dont know what you guys get issued. however one thing i was recomended to carry with me was a pocket knife. just in case you get caught on something at a bad time you can cut yourself free.

hope thats usefull to ya.

regards, a fellow Probie

Hey.
    Now I am far from being an expert but I always wear cotton shorts and an issued cotton work shirt under my PPE. Now, I don't know what you are issued with so it makes it a bit hard. We've all heard the stories of girls who wore bras with wire in them to a fire. Leaves a funny shaped burn I'm sure.
    As for the goggle issue, we usually have to wear goggle on the fire ground, but unless its really smoky, you'll find mine sitting on top of my hat- it just gets too hot wearing goggle in midsummer. However, they are lifesavers in smoky conditions.
    As for the issue of what to take, if you look in the pockets of my gear you will find- bandana (for a smoke mask, much better than issue plastic type ones), gloves (issued), knife, MATCHES (never forget your matches, everyone always does and has to borrow mine), compass (depending on what you are doing), bandage (I find a first aid kit too bulky to carry personally when on a tanker, but carry an elastic bandage or two for snake bites, sprains etc- There should be a kit on the truck). I do carry a pocket reference book thing which can be used to settle arguments over silly little things but really theres no need. Most importantly WATER WATER WATER. I know you probably know this, but really it is the most important thing. I know when I was starting out, I knew water was important but had no idea how much you really need. When the sun beats down and that fire blazes you will go through so much water its not funny. While there should be plenty on the truck, always have a litre or two on your person. The best thing (I think anyway) is to have a camel back type thing so you can use it hands-free and constantly have a little bit of water. You will drink a lot with a camel back because its right in your mouth almost, but it will keep you hydrated and works really well.
    Good luck with your first season, keep your head down and for goodness sake don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, thats the only way anyone can learn and you won't be the first person to have questions (new or old). As someone else said, the only stupid question is the one that remains un-asked.

Thread Information