Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 1403 Compliance - How do you accomplish it?

For all those vollie depts out there, what are your policies regarding 1403 compliance, and if you decided to start following this standard in the recent past, how did you go about imposing the rule?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Capt Jim

Forum Member

1403 is something that should be followed on all burns for the safety of everyone involved.

Forum Member

Volunteer or not, abiding by 1403 is critical to a safe burn. If you do not have enough personnel within your own department, then make it a "Mutual Aid Training Burn". Get enough capable and qualified people to act as instructors, print off the pre fire checklist and do it. If you are new to being instructors of a live fire training exercise, ask around and see if you can get someone or a group to help you out (I cannot imagine having a difficult time getting help. Most people who do live fire exercises are more than willing to help you pull one off).
    Your question of how to implement this standard is really quite simple. The chief says, in writing and no uncertain terms: "We don't do a live burn unless it is carried out within the guidelines set by NFPA 1403." Then he puts the boot on anyone who violates the rule. It's already been proven that if you willfully violate this standard, you are going to be held responsible. The chief better make sure he's one who holds the offender responsible, or he may find himself in the position of defending his action/inaction.
    Look into your firefighter's association, state training organization, etc. and get a "certified and bonafide" class that will teach you how to do a 1403 burn. Put as many of your members through this class as you can. KY State Fire Rescue Training has a certification that qualifies a firefighter to be an instructor at a live fire training event, your state may offer the same training. Make sure everyone that is going to occupy a spot on the organization chart on the day of the burn has been trained, and knows what is expected of not only him, but the others on the chart.
    I'm a big proponent of live fire training. But is has to be done right. It takes alot of work to make the structure safe and compliant. It takes a lot of people on the teaching side of the class to make sure things are done safely. It takes gathering the needed apparatus, air supply, etc. But in the end, it's worth it. I say that if you think live fire training is too expensive (by way of time to prepare, number of people needed to do the burn, the work involved, etc.) then you need to check out the price of ignorance when it comes to sending a firefighter into a building that is on fire without the benefit of previous live fire training.
    Be safe.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by LFD2203 View Post
    I'm a big proponent of live fire training. But is has to be done right. It takes alot of work to make the structure safe and compliant. It takes a lot of people on the teaching side of the class to make sure things are done safely. It takes gathering the needed apparatus, air supply, etc. But in the end, it's worth it. I say that if you think live fire training is too expensive (by way of time to prepare, number of people needed to do the burn, the work involved, etc.) then you need to check out the price of ignorance when it comes to sending a firefighter into a building that is on fire without the benefit of previous live fire training.
    Be safe.
    To hammer home LFD's excellent points, please check out this list of Lairdsville threads and do some reading, if you aren't already familiar with the name Brad Golden.

If that doesn't convince anyone who needs convincing of the importance of conducting safe, compliant live fire training, nothing will.

Sleep with angels Bradley, we'll NEVER FORGET YOU!

http://forums.firehouse.com/search.php?searchid=344326

Revised later to add: Maybe you can find some threads on that list with the type of advice you're looking for. Sorry I can't help, as I'm not a firefighter. I just wanted to come back to clarify that in case you thought my post was a bit abrupt, not related to what you asked.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 06-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

All live burns are 1403 compliant.

SOPs were written up. SOPs are followed.

The chief, who is reponsible, sees to that.

MembersZone Subscriber Edward Hartin's Avatar

Default Compliance is Not Enough!

Compliance with the provisions of NFPA 1403 is necessary, but not sufficient. This standard does not provide any guidance on what knowledge, skills, and experience live fire instructor should or must have. The only requirement is that the "authority having jurisdiction" says you are qualified. Most states do not have live fire instructor training or a standardized qualification process. In many cases, I suspect states that do focus to a large extent on what the standard says and how to comply (important stuff). However, live fire instructors must also have a solid understanding of fire behavior and fire dynamics beyond that usually provided by firefighter or fire officer training.

For example: Section 4.3.7 of NFPA 1403 (2007 edition) states "The instructor-in-charge shall assess the selected fire room environment for factors that can affect the growth, development, and spread of the fire". This section is focused on acquired structures, but the same language is included in the sections of the standard dealing with burn buildings. However, firefighters and fire officers do not commonly receive training in assessment of factors such as ventilation profile and its influence on fire development and the heat release rate required for flashover, and fuel characteristics such heat release rate and the influence of variations in configuration.

Live fire instructor training must focus not only on compliance, but also on developing understanding of fire dynamics and application of this knowledge in the context of live fire training.

Read "Live Fire Training: The Missing Link" in the Training Academy section of this web site for additional information on this important issue.
    Ed Hartin, MS, EFO, MIFireE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hartin View Post
    Compliance with the provisions of NFPA 1403 is necessary, but not sufficient. This standard does not provide any guidance on what knowledge, skills, and experience live fire instructor should or must have. The only requirement is that the "authority having jurisdiction" says you are qualified. Most states do not have live fire instructor training or a standardized qualification process. In many cases, I suspect states that do focus to a large extent on what the standard says and how to comply (important stuff). However, live fire instructors must also have a solid understanding of fire behavior and fire dynamics beyond that usually provided by firefighter or fire officer training.

For example: Section 4.3.7 of NFPA 1403 (2007 edition) states "The instructor-in-charge shall assess the selected fire room environment for factors that can affect the growth, development, and spread of the fire". This section is focused on acquired structures, but the same language is included in the sections of the standard dealing with burn buildings. However, firefighters and fire officers do not commonly receive training in assessment of factors such as ventilation profile and its influence on fire development and the heat release rate required for flashover, and fuel characteristics such heat release rate and the influence of variations in configuration.

Live fire instructor training must focus not only on compliance, but also on developing understanding of fire dynamics and application of this knowledge in the context of live fire training.

Read "Live Fire Training: The Missing Link" in the Training Academy section of this web site for additional information on this important issue.
    I know NC is very strict on making sure qualified instructors are conducting the burns and should billy bob decide he's been in for 50 years and knows enough and the OSFM catches him that department should go ahead and get ready.
    I thought that this was the case every is it not?

Forum Member

Are you talking about 1403 complance with live burns? I guess I read your question differently than the others. In NC you also as a FF have to have your 1403 to be an interior FF. This meaning that the state requires all fire chiefs to sign off on their members that they have met the required training classes to be an interior FF. Around here there are a few different ways that you can meet those requirements. One way is to take the required FF 1 classes like forcible entry, ventilation, hose streams and appliances, fire control, fire behavior, ladders, ppe and a few others. The other way is to attend a weekend accademy that meets the state's standard like Rookie School ( I think it is now called Essentials School) that is taught once a quarter at the Wake County Fire Training Center. It is 2 weekends long and covers all the material that the state puts forth that a FF must know to be an interior FF. This school has been going on for years. All of the departments around here have an SOG or SOP that says that their rookie FF's must attend this school and be 18 years of age.

No matter if you were talking about the 1403 I just explained or the one about live burn all it takes to enforce either is a Chief with a set of balls that is willing to take a stand and say "From now on this is the way it will be done!"

Forum Member

Every year, usually in the summer, my department has a three day Rookie School. All topics required for 1403 compliance are covered in a classroom and practical setting. The chief is responsible for seeing that every person who goes into a burn, training or otherwise, is 1403 compliant. Rookies are not allowed to go into a structure fire until they have completed Rookie School.

Thread Information