Thread: 24-72 Shifts

Default 24-72 Shifts

Our dept. currently works a 24 on 48 off schedule. I would like to talk to somebody who works a 24 on 72 off schedule. Two concerns are how is leap year worked and how does Christmas rotate ? Does it rotate evenly if leap year is "adjusted"? Thanks.

Forum Member

We make no adjustments to worry about holidays, if your group is scheduled for the day, you work. It evens out eventually. I worked the same exact holidays this year as I did last year. Younger guys with no kids will offer to work for the guys with kids, if even for 4 hrs so they don't miss out on Christmas. Nobody takes it off because we're paid double time and given an extra day off for working on the holiday, so it's really like triple time.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep!..............

Callaway's job is like most depts in this area - What comes up is what you work. 24 and 72 is the best thing out there, unless you can get 24/96, as far as I'm concerned. A VERY few have ever disliked 24/72 in this area, for one reason - most folks live an hour or more from work. My station is in central Maryland, but one of my Medics lives in Virginia, and one lives in Pennsylvania. Both say that this shift has allowed them to have a much wider choice of where to live, for various reasons. No one with a long commute has ever had a problem relieving on time, in fact they do better than the "Locals' in some cases.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We don't get double time or an extra day off but it's like callaway said. If it's your day you work. Leap year, Christmas, ground hogs day whatever you just keep going with the schedule.If you're supposed to work Christmas then you're off New Years Eve, or visa versa. Decide which one you want off and if you're working swap for the other, a holliday for a holliday. Or they both might fall during your 72.. . . hwoods you hit that right with the Locals. Those are the "minutemen"...

Forum Member

As far as I know everywhere in the fire service is the same: if you are scheduled to work a certain day you work it, if your department allows trades and you can do so then you would have choices. But the job you signed on for does not recognize holidays or weekends or any other days. My first schedule was 24/48, then we went to 24/48-24/96 with a 4-platoon system. I then went to the dreaded office schedule of 5 8-hour days. The current shift schedule now is 48/96, too many people complained about having have a debit day under the 24/48-24/96. I personally didnt mind the 24/48 shift, but then again I loved coming to work.

Forum Member

I have worked 24/72. I have also worked a different 24-hour variant shift.

1-1-1-5. Working 24s, you do one on, one off, one on, five off.

Another variant is 1-2-1-4 working 24s. All work out to 42 hours per week.

And all the holidays average out. It is your job, you deal with it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

i want the 0/365 schedule... where I get paid for NOT coming to work. Anyone got an idea where I can get one of those?

Banned

Does anyone do 8 hour shifts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    i want the 0/365 schedule... where I get paid for NOT coming to work. Anyone got an idea where I can get one of those?
    Yeah....Um, ya gotta work one of the shift variants before you can retire adn get your dream schedule.

Of just get SSI disability.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information