Default SD EMT Moving to Nashville

Hi guys. I have been reading all of your postings here. It sounds discouraging. I am finishing up my EMT School out here in San Diego and Will be moving to Nashville in Feb. 09 with my wife. My main goal was to be a firefighter out here, but she is dead set on being a Nurse at Vanderbilt. I support here in all she does so we will be moving. Any suggestions, tips, advice on what I should do to help better my odds of landing a job sooner than later around the Nashville area FD. Will my EMT certification out here be basically no good and I will have to start fresh out there? Should I go to Paramedic school out there and if so where? Do you think I would have a better chance of landing a job FF in California than Nashville? Any information that you guys could provide me would be greatly appreciated. Also, I can't wait to move out there as I have been in San Diego my whole life. I am ready for the slowed down pace that you guys seem to have. Thanks again and I hope to hear a lot of information.

Forum Member

it`s all about insurance lability, f you work for a FD you will inhale smoke wich may lead you to lung cancer and other problems, an if this where to happen you are covered, but if you smoke and get lung cancer or something else "you" would go after the dept. for benefits, then they will decline you b/c tobacco use, then you file a law suit and so on, at least thats how it worked in FL, but its all politics at the end.

Forum Member

Default obad

Send me a PM when you get a chance, I can at least give you some insight on Vanderbilt- what area of nursing is your gf interested in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by obadiah007 View Post
    Hi guys. I have been reading all of your postings here. It sounds discouraging. I am finishing up my EMT School out here in San Diego and Will be moving to Nashville in Feb. 09 with my wife. My main goal was to be a firefighter out here, but she is dead set on being a Nurse at Vanderbilt. I support here in all she does so we will be moving. Any suggestions, tips, advice on what I should do to help better my odds of landing a job sooner than later around the Nashville area FD. Will my EMT certification out here be basically no good and I will have to start fresh out there? Should I go to Paramedic school out there and if so where? Do you think I would have a better chance of landing a job FF in California than Nashville? Any information that you guys could provide me would be greatly appreciated. Also, I can't wait to move out there as I have been in San Diego my whole life. I am ready for the slowed down pace that you guys seem to have. Thanks again and I hope to hear a lot of information.
    Don't expect too much of a slow down if you want on with Metro NFD. A good buddy of mine that works downtown is on an Engine Co. that runs 250+ runs per month easy. If your EMT is through the national registry, you might just have to go through a reciprocity class to get your TN license. Columbia State and Vol State Community College have paramedic programs.

Vanderbilt is a great hospital. NFD's and my agency's medical director is an ED there. Their flight program is awesome.

There are several other good paid FD's in the area. Consider Smyrna FD, Murfreesboro FD, Franklin FD, and Brentwood FD to name a few.

Default New EMT From San Diego Moving to Nashville

Thanks SGT. That is very encouraging. When you said don't expect too much of a slowdown do you mean that they won't be cutting back but should be hiring more? I was reading on here that you are waiting for a Federal grant to be able to spend some more money on the FD's. Did you get it yet? Also, Do you guys hire EMT's or would you rather have Medics? I am just trying to find out which road would be the best to get me on with the fire dept. I am 29 and started to feel that I was becoming too old, but then I am hearing that a lot of people are finding out this is what they want to do in their 30's and are getting hired on so that was assuring. I am about a year out before I move there, but is there anything that you could suggest that would help me prepare myself before I get there so I don't waste a lot of time while I am out here? I will be Nationally Registered as an EMT when I am done with my program here. Do you guys require EMT's to have been on an ambulance for a period of time before you will accept them. Any information all of you guys could provide would be so helpful. I had my goals all mapped out for here in San Diego, but now it seems as if I will need to start all over as far as gaining resources so I can attack this as prepared as possible.
    You guys are all so helpful and willing to help a brother out and that is one more reason I cannot wait to become a FF. The brotherhood is like no other. Thanks again and I hope to hear froim you guys soon.

Sincerely,
    Tommy

Forum Member

Question Any news?

Seems like there are still a lot of us keeping an eye on this board, just wanted to know if Wilson or others had heard anything. Will number of retirements affect anything number wise? I would think this being a list hiring, they would go back to it-(though I had heard that 42 selected was to make sure they had about 25 in the class), so that if we don't make it this time, it would improve our odds for the next academy, as that would mean that many more getting knocked out of the way-so then there might be a chance for those of us who aren't already more qualified than half the FD. Thanks

Forum Member

Question

Last edited by Titaniac; 01-08-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: delayed double post...

Forum Member

All I've heard is that 13 of the original 42 have been rejected for drugs and/or tobacco use, which was never mentioned but that's another argument. My guess is that they expected that and they probably won't bother picking 13 more names off of the list. If they intend on filling those slots, my guess is that they already have, but I'm sure someone here would have heard about it. My source also tells me that they are going to hire more in the fall of this year. I've heard from two different sources that they were going to hire more the second time, like 60 or more. That's what I've heard. Most of the information I've been getting has been fairly accurate so far, so I'm not going to hold my breath, but I will remain hopeful. I'm just going to take this opportunity to put myself in a better position to get hired in the future.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by obadiah007 View Post
    Thanks SGT. That is very encouraging. When you said don't expect too much of a slowdown do you mean that they won't be cutting back but should be hiring more? I was reading on here that you are waiting for a Federal grant to be able to spend some more money on the FD's. Did you get it yet? Also, Do you guys hire EMT's or would you rather have Medics? I am just trying to find out which road would be the best to get me on with the fire dept. I am 29 and started to feel that I was becoming too old, but then I am hearing that a lot of people are finding out this is what they want to do in their 30's and are getting hired on so that was assuring. I am about a year out before I move there, but is there anything that you could suggest that would help me prepare myself before I get there so I don't waste a lot of time while I am out here? I will be Nationally Registered as an EMT when I am done with my program here. Do you guys require EMT's to have been on an ambulance for a period of time before you will accept them. Any information all of you guys could provide would be so helpful. I had my goals all mapped out for here in San Diego, but now it seems as if I will need to start all over as far as gaining resources so I can attack this as prepared as possible.
    You guys are all so helpful and willing to help a brother out and that is one more reason I cannot wait to become a FF. The brotherhood is like no other. Thanks again and I hope to hear froim you guys soon.

Sincerely,
    Tommy
    I am not employed with NFD, but we work closely with them (at the Airport). Having your EMT license is a good start if you want to get on with NFD. I am not sure if you have to put time in on the ambulance first, but it is definitely a possibility. There are quite a few people reaching retirement age so I'm sure they will still hire again within the next 24 months. Just start the process as soon as you get out here and keep an eye on this website.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a question maybe someone might could help with. I recently got my emt-iv in tn. I am looking to move out of state where they use emt-I 85 standard. The only diference b/w emt-b and emt-i 85 i can find is iv starts and some advanced airways, everything that an emt-iv in tn is certified in. Then why do we take the nremt test for basic. Ive been tring to find a way i can get my emt-i certfication without having to go to another class. Ive tried to explain to the state board that the tn emy-iv cert is basically that of emt-I 1985 standard. They dont seem to understand and only see that i am nremt-b cognitive tested, which is real ticker, b/c it means i may have to shell out more money and time to get my emt-i cert even though in tn emt-iv equals that of emt-I 85. Anybody know why Tn tests on the cognitive test for nremt as basic but train under the 1985 emt-I protocols.

Forum Member

I have sent an email to state EMS to obtain the answer, but I have a feeling we are still testing at the EMT-B level.

It seems that on the surface, a TN EMT-IV can do all the same skills as an EMT-I(85), (at least according to wikipedia ) but depending on individual states (and possibly the national registry), an I(85) can do more. I checked the NREMT website and they do give a written test at the I(85) level, but I'm not sure if it consists of more than what the TN EMT-IV learns in the TN curriculum. If it is, that would explain why we are still being tested at the EMT-B level. I believe that our training has to be equal to or greater than the training/objectives set forth in the 1985 USDOT EMT-I(85) curriculum.

I was trained on the EMT-B curriculum in 2001 and upgraded to EMT-IV a couple of years later. I had to pass a practical exam involving IV therapy, but I did not have to take another written exam. This would probably suggest that we are still testing at the NR EMT-B level.

***Upated: Read next post...
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 01-11-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Member

You need to get in touch with Donna (G)Tidwell with state EMS. I spoke with her today and she is definitely the contact person regarding this issue when TN EMT-IV's are moving out of states that only recognize the I(85).

Her email is donna.g.tidwell@state.tn.us
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 01-11-2008 at 06:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks very much. I will definately send her an email.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you know the process of challenging the test. Is it up to the state that your going to or up to the nremt board. What is the process.. do i have to just do the skills practical and take the written test, then how do i get proof that i am I-85 equivaent. I am also an RN and was told by several other medics in the state that im moving that all i have to do is challenge the board for the test, but when i ask the state board they tell me i have to have proof of training at the I-85 level, which is bogus b/c first im already an rn and secondly as discussed earlier i have tns emt-iv course. I think they are just wanting money out of me. Anyways has any one heard of someone challenging the boards for certification and if so what state and how.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsmns27 View Post
    Do you know the process of challenging the test. Is it up to the state that your going to or up to the nremt board. What is the process.. do i have to just do the skills practical and take the written test, then how do i get proof that i am I-85 equivaent. I am also an RN and was told by several other medics in the state that im moving that all i have to do is challenge the board for the test, but when i ask the state board they tell me i have to have proof of training at the I-85 level, which is bogus b/c first im already an rn and secondly as discussed earlier i have tns emt-iv course. I think they are just wanting money out of me. Anyways has any one heard of someone challenging the boards for certification and if so what state and how.
    It will depend on the state. The best answer I can give you is to get with your Program Director (@ the school where you took your EMT) and Donna with state EMS. Together they will be the ones to help get the answer you need about obtaining the I85. It may just require some proof of training from the course you took or you may have to take the NREMT I(85) exam. Talk with Donna first. That's where you find the right answers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the advise Sgt., but it looks like i will have to take an intermediate course. Both program director, donna, and region director in GA. told me i would need proof of emt-i 85 training, which means all that skills check off sheets and stuff, which my instructor says they can not fill out on the I-85 level even though we train on the protocols b/c technically the course is only a basic course with "extended skills" thus the cert as emt-iv. Thanks for hooking me up with the right people to talk to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsmns27 View Post
    Thanks for the advise Sgt., but it looks like i will have to take an intermediate course. Both program director, donna, and region director in GA. told me i would need proof of emt-i 85 training, which means all that skills check off sheets and stuff, which my instructor says they can not fill out on the I-85 level even though we train on the protocols b/c technically the course is only a basic course with "extended skills" thus the cert as emt-iv. Thanks for hooking me up with the right people to talk to.
    This is also new to me and others I work with. It's good information to know if we ever wanted to practice out of TN. Good luck.

Forum Member

Default Metro Tobacco use Policy.

I havent been checking the boards lately but thought I might be able to clarify the tobacco use policy. I was lucky enough to be one of the new fire fighter recruits chosen for metro's class starting on Feb. 19th. During our orientation Metro's medical director explained that the NFPA standards for new firefighters are different than the NFPA standards for existing firefighters. The NFPA standards do not recommend hiring new firefighters who "use tobacco" and the way they explained it, it doesnt specify whether it is chewed, dipped or smoked. Thats why you wouldn't be recommended for hire if you tested positive for tobacco use. The way I understand it, the requirements are higher for firefighter candidates or recruits than for current or existing firefighters. Stay safe.

Forum Member

how do they test you for tobacco anyways?

Forum Member

They test your urine. It is my understanding that they were going to send our urine to a lab for a nicatine screening.

Forum Member

Default the tobacco test

I had never heard of a fire department testing for smoking. I personally don't smoke. I did just have tests done for life insurance, including a urine test. They test for nicotine, which can be detected if someone has smoked (regularly?) within 60 days.

Hey I don't smoke, I'm begging to be on Nashville Fire Department. Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by farkingfireman View Post
    I had never heard of a fire department testing for smoking. I personally don't smoke. I did just have tests done for life insurance, including a urine test. They test for nicotine, which can be detected if someone has smoked (regularly?) within 60 days.

Hey I don't smoke, I'm begging to be on Nashville Fire Department. Maybe one day.
    It seems to me in nashville and other metro depts. it doesnt matter whether you smoke or not to get hired but rather whose a$% your blowing the smoke up.

Forum Member

anyone here been through the emt class at columbia state that can give me some info on its schedule or suggest a good school that has emt training thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rblad07 View Post
    anyone here been through the emt class at columbia state that can give me some info on its schedule or suggest a good school that has emt training thanks
    MTSU also has a good EMT-IV program. Their instructors are paramedics from Rutherford County. Normally they tend to hire students from their classes. They are a little more flexible schedule wise, only having classes on Mon & Wed nights (6p - 9p).

Columbia & Vol State hold classes several days a week, but you are not in class as long. Since MTSU is only 2 nights a week, it lasts approximately 9 months.

Vol State:

http://www.volstate.edu/EMT/

MTSU:

The link for MTSU does not seem to work but you can contact them at 615-898-2462.

Columbia State:

http://www.columbiastate.edu/degrees/health/emt.htm
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 02-14-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Forum Member

anyone got any good ideas or reccommendations on some good jobs while trying to get EMT??????

Thread Information