Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsmns27 View Post
    I will give nashville the credit that no one seemd to know what the h$**L is going on with recruitment. I first moved here four years ago going on that i was told by hr and fire personnel a hiring process would be in spring 2006,and county residents would be chosen first and here it is summer 2007 and have not even done interviews and still yet when you ask someone you get a different response each time. One person tells me they will only interview those chosen for a class, another tells me they will interview all in the outsstanding group, another tells they will only interview 100. When you ask HR they tell you it is up to the fire department when to and how to choose interviews, but when you ask the a fire personnel they tell you it is up to hr to finalize the list. Would somebody that actually knows facts please post a reply as to when they anticipate starting interviews and how will they choose who to interview. Thanks

Well the only thing I can say is just wait and see. There are over 600 people on the outstanding list. They can jump anywhere on the outstanding list and hire the top 1 or can jump to number 600. And if you moved here just for being told something then that is your fault just relax and wait and see what happens.

MembersZone Subscriber

When your told my a metro government department on several occasions bu email and phone and person, both fire and hr, that a hiring process would be done in 2006 one would probably assume that they were telling the truth. I think my moving up here was going on what i thought were people that new what was going on, obviously i was wrong. Your response too basically told me nothing else, but in fact told me soemthing different as well. This was a first time i heard the number 600 seeming ive heard everyother number from other people. When one plans their future, they hope they are getting accurate information. I can see now i was fooled that is why i may have seemed a little POd in my thread.

Forum Member

When your told my a metro government department on several occasions bu email and phone and person, both fire and hr, that a hiring process would be done in 2006 one would probably assume that they were telling the truth. I think my moving up here was going on what i thought were people that new what was going on, obviously i was wrong. Your response too basically told me nothing else, but in fact told me soemthing different as well. This was a first time i heard the number 600 seeming ive heard everyother number from other people. When one plans their future, they hope they are getting accurate information. I can see now i was fooled that is why i may have seemed a little POd in my thread.
    I can understand your frustration. Yes the number is definately in the 600. I have a bud that is 680 and he made 7 out of 10 so therefore he is on the outstanding. One other thing bro never trust government and dont get your hopes up. Keep testing and moving forward you will land the job. If your not on the job now look into other cities around nashville also.

Shoot me a PM
    Last edited by Kjohnson24; 07-14-2007 at 10:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Welcome to Metro. If your lucky enough to get the job, be sure you have a good mask. Nashville smoke screen's are notorious. Been there. Done that. Got several hats.

Forum Member

I will tell you that nearly 10 years ago I was one of 450 applicants who tested. They (NFD, HR, whoever) were only going to interview those that scored 8 or higher. There were those who were minorities or with high "politics" who did not score 8. Know what they did? Interviewed all 450 applicants. I was in the interview process all of about 3 minutes. It was sad.

You guys heard of the THP shake-up because of all the heavy politics? I swear to you THP doesn't have anything on NFD.

Don't get me wrong, if you can get hired, it's a great department with good pay. I'm happy where I am now, and I would much rather have an agency hire me because of my potential and not because of my race/sex, or who I know. Alot of good people are getting passed over because of the wrong reasons. I wish all you folks the best, but if the hiring process hasn't changed since I tested, the odds are against you.

Forum Member

Default Metro Frustrations

I just wanted to let you know, your not alone in your frustration. I tested with Metro and recieved my letter in the mail with my grade based on the written and physical agility test. I have no idea if work history, experience or anything else weighs into the equation as you cant get any answers from anyone from either Metro HR or Metro Fire. I scored a 10 out of a possible 10 points and it stated that I had tied for the rank of 1. As of today, I still haven't heard anything about interviews. When I called Metro HR and inquired, they said they didnt know how many people would be hired or when the interviews would be. (Sound familiar?) I am an EMT-IV with over 4 years paid firefighting experience and had a coworker with almost the exact background test with me. He scored 8 out of 10 and was tied for the rank of 186. I've heard rumors that there were 300, 400, and up to 600 people on the outstanding list, so who knows. (You had to score 7 out of 10 to make outstanding) Metro HR did say that there were over 1500 applications for the Fire Recruit positions. I have heard rumors that they plan to hire approximately 20 firefighters and that there may be a class scheduled for October, but these are only rumors. Funny thing is, I have talked to 2 other people who said they knew someone who was tied for the rank of 1. Hell, there may be 50 people tied for the rank of 1. If anyone has any more info, I would appreciate it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter113 View Post
    I just wanted to let you know, your not alone in your frustration. I tested with Metro and recieved my letter in the mail with my grade based on the written and physical agility test. I have no idea if work history, experience or anything else weighs into the equation as you cant get any answers from anyone from either Metro HR or Metro Fire. I scored a 10 out of a possible 10 points and it stated that I had tied for the rank of 1. As of today, I still haven't heard anything about interviews. When I called Metro HR and inquired, they said they didnt know how many people would be hired or when the interviews would be. (Sound familiar?) I am an EMT-IV with over 4 years paid firefighting experience and had a coworker with almost the exact background test with me. He scored 8 out of 10 and was tied for the rank of 186. I've heard rumors that there were 300, 400, and up to 600 people on the outstanding list, so who knows. (You had to score 7 out of 10 to make outstanding) Metro HR did say that there were over 1500 applications for the Fire Recruit positions. I have heard rumors that they plan to hire approximately 20 firefighters and that there may be a class scheduled for October, but these are only rumors. Funny thing is, I have talked to 2 other people who said they knew someone who was tied for the rank of 1. Hell, there may be 50 people tied for the rank of 1. If anyone has any more info, I would appreciate it.

There are 31 people tied for 1st with a 10 out of 10. Hope that helps (read the posts above).

MembersZone Subscriber

Not too be a pessimist but today i heard something more news and of course its different from what ive heard before now. I talked to a metro cop who knows someone in the training division and he told me that the word from them is that this up coming class regardless of score will be made up mostly of minorities and those with political pull. After this class of approximately 20 they will return to doing all classes thereafter as crosstrained as before, those from ems crosstraining for fire. He said this was cost beneficial and is how they will get all fire hires from then on until they start another list in 3 years. He said the list is mandated by civil service laws that a new list must be made every 3 years but it does not require them to hire off of the list for every class, thus comes in the crosstraining. Therefore he advised me that the person telling him this info stated that the best bet from now on into the future for someone that wants to get into the fire division is too work in ems preferable as a paramedic for a few years and then apply to crosstrain into the fire division. Not to be discouraging but this does not sound to good for those that are ranked say 100 or higher like myself, but as others know what you hear may be totally not what is planned.

Forum Member

How did you come to the conclusion that there are 31 people tied for 1st? I'm just curious and not trying to be a smart a**!

Forum Member

best bet from now on into the future for someone that wants to get into the fire division is too work in ems preferable as a paramedic for a few years and then apply to crosstrain into the fire division. Not to be discouraging but this does not sound to good for those that are ranked say 100 or higher like myself, but as others know what you hear may be totally not what is planned.
    Well as you know there is a mayors race going on right now. There will not probally be any hiring till after the mayors race and depending on who gets it is how the hiring will go. You can bet that who ever gets it that the fire chief will be gone and that more than likely the cross training will be stopped and if you want to get on fire side then you will have to be hired off the list and the EMS side will have to go through same testing and be hired off list also.

Forum Member

Speaking of the upcoming Mayoral Election, I recently had a conversation with a Captain from Metro. This conversation took place in the Hermitage Home Depot between two people that had never met before, one of them being a Captain with Metro the other being someone trying to get on with Metro, so for what its worth, he said that they were only hiring 20 people initially and that they would hire another 40 after the administration changes. That sounds pretty good to me, but what if the new mayor doesn't want to hire 40 more. I'm not sure it's safe to speculate on what the new mayor will do. I guess it depends on who gets elected. Which brings me to another thought, anybody know anything about Buck Dozier? He's got the endorsement of Metro PD and FD. I'm not suggesting anyone vote for this guy, but he is a former Metro Fire Chief. That could be a good if someone like him gets in, but then again who knows...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanj003 View Post
    There are 31 people tied for 1st with a 10 out of 10. Hope that helps (read the posts above).
    How do you know there are 31 people tied for 1st?

Forum Member

Default Too many rumors.

I actually spoke to a Metro firefighter today who said there were 8 people tied for the rank of 1. I didn't inquire about the source of his information, but he said he also had a friend that also tied for the rank of 1. I would also like to know where the 31 number came from. I also heard from yet another person that there is a Rookie class scheduled for October and that Metro had only been approved for 17 new hires. All unconfirmed information.

Forum Member

From the way it sounds, their hiring standards have not changed in the last 10 years. Pity....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter113 View Post
    I actually spoke to a Metro firefighter today who said there were 8 people tied for the rank of 1. I didn't inquire about the source of his information, but he said he also had a friend that also tied for the rank of 1. I would also like to know where the 31 number came from. I also heard from yet another person that there is a Rookie class scheduled for October and that Metro had only been approved for 17 new hires. All unconfirmed information.
    ~
    FOR ALL OF YOU INQUIRING ABOUT THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE TIED FOR 1ST:

My 'information' comes from the simple fact that I am tied for 32nd with a '9 out of possible 10' ranking points. There are no 'half points' awarded (i.e. 0.5 pts).....therefore.....The only possible score better than mine is a 10 out of 10, thus there are only 31 others above the 9 out of 10 ranking. Make sense?
    ~
    As to the guy who 'heard' that there were 8 people tied for first either talked to someone that could not do simple math or just decided to make that number up....who knows?.?.?.
    ~
    I hope that helps.

Forum Member

~
    FOR ALL OF YOU INQUIRING ABOUT THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE TIED FOR 1ST:

My 'information' comes from the simple fact that I am tied for 32nd with a '9 out of possible 10' ranking points. There are no 'half points' awarded (i.e. 0.5 pts).....therefore.....The only possible score better than mine is a 10 out of 10, thus there are only 31 others above the 9 out of 10 ranking. Make sense?
    ~
    As to the guy who 'heard' that there were 8 people tied for first either talked to someone that could not do simple math or just decided to make that number up....who knows?.?.?.
    ~
    I hope that helps.
    I'm no rocket scientist, but that can't be right. Someone has to be ranked 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,etc. I too am tied for 32nd with 9 out of 10 and there's no telling how many of us are tied for 32nd. So one can't assume that there are only 31 individuals that ranked higher than 32nd nor can one assume that everyone that ranked higher that 32nd is tied for 1st.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wilson247 View Post
    I'm no rocket scientist, but that can't be right. Someone has to be ranked 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,etc. I too am tied for 32nd with 9 out of 10 and there's no telling how many of us are tied for 32nd. So one can't assume that there are only 31 individuals that ranked higher than 32nd nor can one assume that everyone that ranked higher that 32nd is tied for 1st.
    Please go back and read your post and then reconsider your question. I understand what you are 'trying' to say but you do not understand the concept. Let me break it down for you further:
    ~
    Clearly there are 31 people ahead of the 32nd TIE that you and I and probably over 100 others are tied for. So, with that being said, positions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31 all have a possible "10 out of 10 points" for a score--and are TIED FOR THE TOP RANKING OF #1. That's why there are no rankings of 2nd, 14th, 23rd, etc...because the top 31 people all have the highest score available with a 10 out of 10.
    ~
    Then NEXT highest score is a 9 out of 10 points. That is what I scored and you scored and 3 other guys I know--all of whom are ranked 32nd. There may very well be 100-150 people who have a 9 out of 10 ranking thus TIED FOR THE POSITION OF 32nd. This is also the reason that you have not heard anyone say they are 33rd, 45th, 64th, etc....because all of those people have a possible 9 out of 10.
    ~
    Any clearer?

Forum Member

Please go back and read your post and then reconsider your question. I understand what you are 'trying' to say but you do not understand the concept. Let me break it down for you further:
    ~
    Clearly there are 31 people ahead of the 32nd TIE that you and I and probably over 100 others are tied for. So, with that being said, positions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31 all have a possible "10 out of 10 points" for a score--and are TIED FOR THE TOP RANKING OF #1. That's why there are no rankings of 2nd, 14th, 23rd, etc...because the top 31 people all have the highest score available with a 10 out of 10.
    ~
    Then NEXT highest score is a 9 out of 10 points. That is what I scored and you scored and 3 other guys I know--all of whom are ranked 32nd. There may very well be 100-150 people who have a 9 out of 10 ranking thus TIED FOR THE POSITION OF 32nd. This is also the reason that you have not heard anyone say they are 33rd, 45th, 64th, etc....because all of those people have a possible 9 out of 10.
    ~
    Any clearer?
    I see what you're "trying" to say and if you're right there are 154 tied for 32nd. Seems to me that if 10 out of 10 gets you tied for 1st, then 9 out of 10 would get you tied for 2nd.

Forum Member

I see what you're "trying" to say and if you're right there are 154 tied for 32nd. Seems to me that if 10 out of 10 gets you tied for 1st, then 9 out of 10 would get you tied for 2nd.
    No, it would not get you 2nd. First of all, how would you have the SECOND HIGHEST POSSIBLE SCORE (9 out of 10) and still be ranked 32nd? Next, what people have in front of you does not determine your ranking--as long as they are all higher scores than you. For example.....let's say that there were 'quarter-points awarded' such as a 9.75, 9.50, and 9.25 (NASHVILLE DOES NOT DO THIS BUT LET'S SAY THEY DO JUST FOR ARGUEMENT SAKE). If out of those 31 people with scores higher than you and me all had some combination of those scores (such as five people with a 10/10, five people with a 9.75/10, ten people with 9.50/10, and eleven people with a 9.25/10--FOR A TOTAL OF 31 PEOPLE AHEAD OF YOU), then you and I are still in the 32nd spot FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THERE ARE 31 OTHER PEOPLE WITH BETTER SCORES ABOVE US.
    ~
    Any clearer? I know it it hard to see it since there are no 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on.....; however, those 'spots' are taken up by a 'tie for first'.
    ~
    Please tell me you understand. Call Civil Service if you do not believe me; but, in this case I know that I am right.
    ~
    Anyone else care to elaborate?

Forum Member

No, it would not get you 2nd. First of all, how would you have the SECOND HIGHEST POSSIBLE SCORE (9 out of 10) and still be ranked 32nd? Next, what people have in front of you does not determine your ranking--as long as they are all higher scores than you. For example.....let's say that there were 'quarter-points awarded' such as a 9.75, 9.50, and 9.25 (NASHVILLE DOES NOT DO THIS BUT LET'S SAY THEY DO JUST FOR ARGUEMENT SAKE). If out of those 31 people with scores higher than you and me all had some combination of those scores (such as five people with a 10/10, five people with a 9.75/10, ten people with 9.50/10, and eleven people with a 9.25/10--FOR A TOTAL OF 31 PEOPLE AHEAD OF YOU), then you and I are still in the 32nd spot FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT THERE ARE 31 OTHER PEOPLE WITH BETTER SCORES ABOVE US.
    ~
    Any clearer? I know it it hard to see it since there are no 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on.....; however, those 'spots' are taken up by a 'tie for first'.
    ~
    Please tell me you understand. Call Civil Service if you do not believe me; but, in this case I know that I am right.
    ~
    Anyone else care to elaborate?
    Look man, I'll take your word for it, really, I'm not trying to cause any trouble, but it seems a lot like going around your a## to get to your elbow. It reeks of "government"!

Forum Member

Default Been sipherin'

Based on Jonathon's scoring methodology and the info in this forum, this is the breakdown I've come up with:

There are 31 people tied for the rank of #1 with a score of 10 out of 10
    There are 154 people tied for the rank of #32 with a score of 9 out of 10
    There are 493 people tied for the rank of #186 with a score of 8 out of 10
    There are __?__ people tied for the rank of #680 with a score of 7 out of 10

That would include all the people who made the outstanding list. I couldn't figure the numbers for the people who scored 7 out of 10 due to the fact that no one has posted the rank for someone who scored 6 out of 10. I know it seems like a stupid way to score applicants, but I guess it makes sense to someone. (Just not me.) I hope this helps and doesn't start another argument. Peace.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfiremedic View Post
    Welcome to Metro. If your lucky enough to get the job, be sure you have a good mask. Nashville smoke screen's are notorious. Been there. Done that. Got several hats.
    See! ! ! Get your mask !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfiremedic View Post
    See! ! ! Get your mask !
    OK, now I understand what you were saying!

Default First post

Look man, I'll take your word for it, really, I'm not trying to cause any trouble, but it seems a lot like going around your a## to get to your elbow. It reeks of "government"!
    Hey this might help you understand what Jonathan is saying. Here is a typical Leaderboard from a golf tournament. Notice how the "places" are assigned. There is no 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, or 13th. That's because 7 guys are tied for 7th. Not trying to be a dick, I know sometimes I need to see an example to understand. Good luck getting on.

1 Vijay Singh 68 65 68 - -3 F -12 201
    T2 Steve Allan 64 68 70 - -1 F -11 202
    T2 John Mallinger 66 66 70 - -1 F -11 202
    4 Hunter Mahan 62 74 67 - -4 F -10 203
    T5 Pat Perez 68 70 66 - -5 F -9 204
    T5 Jim Furyk 69 66 69 - -2 F -9 204
    T7 George McNeill 70 69 66 - -5 F -8 205
    T7 Bob Heintz 69 69 67 - -4 F -8 205
    T7 Glen Day 67 70 68 - -3 F -8 205
    T7 Tom Pernice Jr. 68 68 69 - -2 F -8 205
    T7 Bo Van Pelt 66 70 69 - -2 F -8 205
    T7 Brandt Snedeker 67 68 70 - -1 F -8 205
    T7 Ryan Palmer 67 67 71 - E F -8 205
    T14 Bob Tway 69 71 66 - -5 F -7 206
    T14 Paul Gow 70 69 67 - -4 F -7 206
    T14 Troy Matteson 67 71 68 - -3 F -7 206
    T14 Shigeki Maruyama 69 69 68 - -3 F -7 206
    T14 Steve Marino 70 66 70 - -1 F -7 206
    T14 Dicky Pride 68 68 70 - -1 F -7 206
    T14 Cliff Kresge 70 65 71 - E F -7 206
    T14 Michael Putnam 66 68 72 - +1 F -7 206
    T14 Tripp Isenhour 65 68 73 - +2 F -7 206
    T23 Mathew Goggin 68 70 69 - -2 F -6 207
    T23 Daisuke Maruyama 68 69 70 - -1 F -6 207
    T23 Charlie Wi 66 71 70 - -1 F -6 207
    T23 Brett Quigley 68 68 71 - E F -6 207
    T27 Mike Weir 71 70 67 - -4 F -5 208
    T27 Brian Davis 70 70 68 - -3 F -5 208
    T27 Stephen Ames 70 69 69 - -2 F -5 208
    T27 Briny Baird 69 69 70 - -1 F -5 208
    T27 Ted Purdy 68 69 71 - E F -5 208
    T27 Camilo Villegas 68 68 72 - +1 F -5 208

MembersZone Subscriber

Curious, does anyone know anything about when clarksville might be taking applications. I know they got a SAFER grant last year for 15 positions, but i never saw anything on their human resources about taking applications. Also when is the new nashville mayor suppose to take office.

Thread Information