MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dsmns27 View Post
    Curious, does anyone know anything about when clarksville might be taking applications. I know they got a SAFER grant last year for 15 positions, but i never saw anything on their human resources about taking applications. Also when is the new nashville mayor suppose to take office.
    There was talk that Clarksville was going to give the SAFER back. The new Mayor came in and decided he didn't want to be saddled with the old Mayor's plan.
    I never heard what the final outcome was on it.

Forum Member

Default Been Sipherin' on the Metro Numbers

According to Jonathon's methodology of scoring, this is the breakdown I came up with:

10 out of 10 gets you tied with 31 others for the rank of 1.
    9 out of 10 gets you tied with 154 others for the rank of 32nd.
    8 out of 10 gets you tied with 493 others for the rank of 86th.
    7 out of 10 gets you tied with ???? others for the rank of 680th.

All of the above would be in the OUTSTANDING category according to Metro.

I hope this doesn't create more confusion or controversy.

MembersZone Subscriber

According to the Civil Service Rules in Nashville(if they still go by them). 20% of the list is in Outstanding, 30% is well Qualified, and 50 % is in the Qualified category.

Now if they go by this, somewhere in the 8-10 range is where the outstanding stops.

I had read earlier there have been 800-1500 apps, which is a pretty far spread. So your 20% range could be 160 to 300 in the outstanding range.

We know there are 32 in outstanding. If that's 20%, then 10% is 16. 100% would be 160. Does this sound right?

Can anybody that is still working there verify the ruling.

Forum Member

Honestly there is way too much concern about the civil service written/agility test scores. If you are not what they are looking for, it doesn't matter what you scored. Those that normally get hired with NFD are either a) minority or b) have family/close friends in high ranks with the department (or politicians). If you don't fall under (a) or (b), you may have a shot if you scored a 10 and already EMT licensed. That's what I would put money on anyway.

Forum Member

Smile

Well, I guess that settles it!

MembersZone Subscriber

New and different news of course. A fellow work employee whose uncle is a captain with nfd told me yesterday that he told her that they have already interviewed those chosen for the up coming class. As you all know we,ve heard something different from about everybody on here. Just wondering if anybody else can vouch if this is true.

Forum Member

Personally, I have no idea, but somehow I just don't think that is true. However, we have been warned about Metro's smoke screens!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    There was talk that Clarksville was going to give the SAFER back. The new Mayor came in and decided he didn't want to be saddled with the old Mayor's plan.
    I never heard what the final outcome was on it.
    Clarksville did hire the 15 from the grant plus two more to fill in holes. They came on board last month.

Forum Member

Default Haven't Heard Anything

I tied for the rank of 1 and I am a licensed EMT-IV and I haven't heard anything about Metro interviews yet. I talked to another guy who tied for the rank of 1 last week and he hadn't heard anything about interviews yet either. He and I aren't (a) a minority or (b) related to anyone with rank, so I hope that didn't dictate who got or gets an interview. It would be sad if the top 31 of over 1500 didn't even get an interview just because they didn't "know" anyone. If anyone hears anything about Metro Fire Recruit Interviews, please post...... Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where did clarksville post the job announcement, b/c i religously checked their government website and job posting and never saw an announcement for the position. This also sounds like some fire department inside politics.

Forum Member

Default Metro Interviews

Metro has not started interviews as of yet. This isn't rumor. Straight from Metro Administration.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you know if they plan on interviewing everyone in the outstanding group. If they are planning on a class in two months then why the wait, they must be only interviewing a few, b/c i see it highly impossible to interview some 600+ in the outstanding group and have a class hired by october.

Forum Member

Default No one knows.

I agree. If the rumors are true that they plan to have a class in October, you would think they would have already started the interview process. The hiring process is lengthy considering once the applicants are chosen a contingent job offer must be made and accepted, background checks performed, etc. before the list is even established for the rookie class. I personally spoke to Chief Halford's secretary who said they don't know anything about interviews yet and she referred me to Metro HR. Metro HR said they didn't know when they would be and it was completely up to Metro FD. Sound familiar? I currently sit on an interview panel at another dept. and can't see them interviewing everyone in the outstanding category, considering it is so large, but who knows. It is Metro and it seems that they make up the rules as they go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter113 View Post
    I agree. If the rumors are true that they plan to have a class in October, you would think they would have already started the interview process. The hiring process is lengthy considering once the applicants are chosen a contingent job offer must be made and accepted, background checks performed, etc. before the list is even established for the rookie class. I personally spoke to Chief Halford's secretary who said they don't know anything about interviews yet and she referred me to Metro HR. Metro HR said they didn't know when they would be and it was completely up to Metro FD. Sound familiar? I currently sit on an interview panel at another dept. and can't see them interviewing everyone in the outstanding category, considering it is so large, but who knows. It is Metro and it seems that they make up the rules as they go.
    Guys, look, the rule of thumb is for any major metropolitan city-run government--THE FIRE DEPARTMENT IN PARTICULAR--is that whatever so called 'date' they give you for hiring a class in, ADD SIX (6) MONTHS TO THAT. Sorry to be so blunt but that is the way it is. I would stop calling. They will interview you if you have the scores. As far as interviewing just the minorities--they will not do that. The interviews will be around 5 minutes long. They will either give you a thumbs up or a thumbs down to continue throught the process (you won't know however until you recieve notification in the mail). This is the way they get 'who they want'. Be patient.

Forum Member

There was never a "hiring date" given. At the written exam, the HR rep that was present was asked by an applicant when they would begin hiring. He said there would be no hiring before the fall. Not October, not November, but "the fall". So it very well could be 6 months from now, but I don't think it will be that long.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wilson247 View Post
    There was never a "hiring date" given. At the written exam, the HR rep that was present was asked by an applicant when they would begin hiring. He said there would be no hiring before the fall. Not October, not November, but "the fall". So it very well could be 6 months from now, but I don't think it will be that long.
    I do. Ever worked for another large Metro city in Tennessee? It will be at least after the first of the year.

Forum Member

Maybe they will wait until about June of next year... That would be better for me anyway. At least we know the list is suppose to be good for 3 years.

Forum Member

--------------
    Last edited by wilson247; 08-09-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanj003 View Post
    I do. Ever worked for another large Metro city in Tennessee? It will be at least after the first of the year.
    Have you worked for Nashville? I didn't think so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wilson247 View Post
    Have you worked for Nashville? I didn't think so.
    Because Nashville is any different? Come on, get real. Don't get all upset because I told you something you didn't want to know. Maybe it's best for you if you just hold out hope that they will begin calling people next week or the week after that. But for reality's sake, go on with your life. You will get a letter and/or an email when it's time to interview. There is no need to get hostile with people on here. A question was asked and so I put in my two cents OUT OF EXPERIENCE (which is a lot more of a base that most have here!) Take it or leave it. Read above and in other posts if you don't belive me...But Nashville is not in any hurry--THAT, I believe, everyone can agree on!

-That is all. Good Day sir.

Forum Member

___________________.
    Last edited by wilson247; 08-11-2007 at 02:27 AM.

Forum Member

The Metro Civil Service Board just approved the Fire Recruit List today. A step in the right direction.

Forum Member

I dont mean to sound stupid but what is the fire recruit list?

Forum Member

any word on how many were approved for the class??

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont know if anyone else saw this but during the mayoral campaign they ran an article about mayor candidate claims. This was in the tennessean on buck dozier. For those that dont know he was the former nfd fire chief running for mayor and endorsed by nfd. This was the analysis and response from fire personnel to his claims. Copieed and pasted exactly from the newspaper:
    BUCK DOZIER

CLAIM: In Dozier's ad "Up Close," he says that "911 dispatchers, police, firefighters and paramedics are understaffed. Their resources are stretched too thin." Dozier is a former Nashville fire chief.

ANALYSIS: The Metro police department has 73 unstaffed positions, which have resulted in longer response times, according to a Tennessean analysis. RoxAnn Brown resigned from her position as 911 director earlier this month after criticisms of ambulance responses.

Deputy Fire Chief Kim Lawson said there are "very few vacancies" on the fire department staff. The department is focused on future paramedic positions, she
    said.

"We're looking for additional staffing, but at the level we're at now, we're actually in pretty good shape," District Chief Charles Shannon said.

Note Chief lawson's comments. May explain the long process and why no one has heard anything.

Thread Information