Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 307
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default hello has anyone heard

    anyone heard if nashville fire has hired anyone yet the physical test was given on 6/4/07 anyone knowhow long it usually takes for them to start interviews??????


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37

    Cool

    lol wel i guess noone knows hopefully someone will soon though

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    35

    Default

    nothing will happen until after the budget is passed. Fiscal year start July 1st.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    94

    Default

    I was also wondering about the next phase. Does nfd interview everyone that passed both test aor do they make up the list based on just your scores then interview those selected for the next class, and how do they notify you. does everyone that tested recieve a notice of their status or just those chosen for an interview. Also, do they just base your final standing before the interview on just yoyr two scores or do they factor things like education, experience, and location. I keep hearing different things from different people. Would just like some clarification. Also i was told that the ladder climb was pass/fail, then what was up with them writing your time down if you passed, does your ladder climb time factor into your score.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    11

    Default NFD process

    They will interview enough to cover the class numbers that will be hired. For example; if the class is going to be 40 new hires they will probably interview 50 or 60 and make conditional offers for employment. Rumor is they are only wanting to hire those with active EMT or Paramedic licenses. As far as the ladder climb time documentation, I don't think the time counts for anything other than documentation that you had a passing time. Always keep in mind that nothing will happen until after the new budget is in place and on top of that Metro is really SLOWWWWWWW!

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Thankx for the info eng32. Will they let everyone know what their number is regardless if they are chosen for an interview or if you dont get an interview you can assume your high on the list. Also do u know if your status on the list is just based on your written, pat and emt status scores. Also if they just wanted already license emts and medics then why did they advertise the position as fire recruit with no minimum qualifications as a medic or is that just a political technicality so they can say they did test for fire recruit after 3 years.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default good question

    ya know thats a good question but i sure hope that they arent requiring emt to get in bc its very hard to get emt license when you work a full time job 7 to 6 and have a wife that is in school full time also but dont get me wrong my hat is off to everyone who does have emt . good luck everyone.......

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rblad07 View Post
    ya know thats a good question but i sure hope that they arent requiring emt to get in bc its very hard to get emt license when you work a full time job 7 to 6 and have a wife that is in school full time also but dont get me wrong my hat is off to everyone who does have emt . good luck everyone.......
    Although it's not required for an EMT license, half the academy time is obtaining your EMT certification. Applicants who already have their license stand a better chance than those who don't have one. If you are a minority, I believe you hold a better chance than anyone, licensed or not.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default whats the best way???

    could anyone give me some info on the best way to get emt licenesed without going through the academy i live in hohenwald tn nearest school is columbia state i think not sure of any other schools that give it.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Motlow St. may have a class and I think they use to have one in Clifton. But, Columbia St may still be your closest

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Columbia State closed their medic program for good. I don't know if they still have an EMT program or not.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmns27 View Post
    Thankx for the info eng32. Will they let everyone know what their number is regardless if they are chosen for an interview or if you dont get an interview you can assume your high on the list. Also do u know if your status on the list is just based on your written, pat and emt status scores. Also if they just wanted already license emts and medics then why did they advertise the position as fire recruit with no minimum qualifications as a medic or is that just a political technicality so they can say they did test for fire recruit after 3 years.

    Sorry it took me a while to respond to your questions, I've been out of pocket for a few days. You should get a letter informing you of your place on the eligibility list. I don't know how they chose who to interview. Your scores are averaged and you are placed on the list accordingly. They do advertise the Fire Recruit position with no minimum requirements, however; they do prefer to hire a class who already have an EMT license because of the up front cost savings for the government. They can get a recruit on the streets 8-10 weeks faster if the are already an EMT. On a brighter note, I heard they are going to hire non EMT applicants for this class. Recruit training will be a minimum of 16 weeks, half being EMT licensure and half fire training. Passing of EMT is mandatory and a condition of employment. It's 80% of what we do. Let me know if I can help you any other way and Good Luck!

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EngrMedic32 View Post
    Sorry it took me a while to respond to your questions, I've been out of pocket for a few days. You should get a letter informing you of your place on the eligibility list. I don't know how they chose who to interview. Your scores are averaged and you are placed on the list accordingly. They do advertise the Fire Recruit position with no minimum requirements, however; they do prefer to hire a class who already have an EMT license because of the up front cost savings for the government. They can get a recruit on the streets 8-10 weeks faster if the are already an EMT. On a brighter note, I heard they are going to hire non EMT applicants for this class. Recruit training will be a minimum of 16 weeks, half being EMT licensure and half fire training. Passing of EMT is mandatory and a condition of employment. It's 80% of what we do. Let me know if I can help you any other way and Good Luck!
    I had EMT two years ago (new POC dept., does not do medical) so I could easliy pass and get it again....and I currently have FF1/FF2/FESI 1. Does Nashville/Tenn., accept look at ProBoard certs., as a good or bad thing?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ********

    IACOJ

    ********

    "Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    I had EMT two years ago (new POC dept., does not do medical) so I could easliy pass and get it again....and I currently have FF1/FF2/FESI 1. Does Nashville/Tenn., accept look at ProBoard certs., as a good or bad thing?
    Unfortunately the only thing they give credit for is EMT, paramedic, and/or a college degree. Unlike many cities, Nashville does not give credit for prior FF training and certificates. I guess they just want to brainwash you in to our firefighting world. There have been many FF's hired from other cities and they have to go through the academy just like someone that's never seen a hose and nozzle. Not that I agree with this, but it is what it is, and will continue to be so. Most Florida depts. require you to be state certified as a FF and EMT or paramedic prior to applying. I can see the purpose in requiring EMT or Medic licensure, it's just cost effective to hire individuals with this prior training and this has been the standard for the past few years. But as I said, it appears they are going to hire individuals without any training for the upcoming class. I've been told that it is not going to be a large class, aprox. 25. The easiest way in for the past 6 years is through the EMS Division. I know some people have only done a year or so on the Medic Unit before getting to cross-train and transfer to the firefighting division. This is one advantage to being in a large dept., in that there are lots of opportunities to do different things. It's all good and we have a great department to work for, we are moving forward at a pretty good pace. We're not perfect, but we're working on it. It's a great city, and the best job in the world!

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default really hope to hear

    I dont know about yall but i sure hope to hear something soon one way or another . anyone know if it will be in the early part of july or later part ???? or july at all???

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    12,000 Feet Cooking...
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alsmedic1 View Post
    Columbia State closed their medic program for good. I don't know if they still have an EMT program or not.
    I don't think so. Where did you hear this?
    FOR HE WHO SERVES HIS FELLOWS IS OF ALL HIS FELLOWS GREATEST

    IACOJ

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default still there

    they still have the classes posted on their webstie

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default

    If you can go to CSCC. The instructors there are awesome. Danny Fleming was the instructor a few yrs ago and did an awesome job. He only had 1 to not make it when he instructed the class I was in several yrs ago. He turned out some of the best EMT's around. Most of them are still in the medical field today. If you go to CSCC you will not be sorry. As for Metro they are slower than molasses. also I heard rumor and that is all I will call it is rumor, That Columbia Fire Dept. is going to hire a few within the next few months. Memphis is going to start the process for 20 I heard. But that was rumor.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Just talked to an instructor faculty @07:30, on June28th. There IS an EMT and Paramedic ptogram at Columbia and Franklin. Paramedicstarts at Columbia in August.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default anyone

    any one know the status on nashville fire??????????????

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Portland FF/EMT's heard anything yet?
    By iamacheetah in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
  2. Columbus,OH...Anyone heard about upcoming hiring?
    By ffighter172 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 05:05 AM
  3. Have you heard this?
    By Airborne in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts