Default Civilian to military

I just finished my firefighter 1&2 classes and am looking for a career position. However, looking at these forums, it looks like getting a career position would be like winning the lottery. Have any of you gone from civilian to military firefighting? I know lots of you have done the opposite. I have already put in 8 years in the Army reserve as a medic, so I do know what I am getting into. I would like to see if I could get into the Air Force (if they would accept prior service in this field) as a Firefighter.(I have had enough of Army tents and porta-potties!) I am 32 years old and I have a wife and 3 children. Would this have a bearing on whether or not I could get in? Or should I just see what I can do about finding a spot in a civilian department? I have been a part-time member with a rural dept for 2 years now, and really enjoy the work. Thanks in advance for the comments.

Forum Member

Try applying for Federal Firefighter jobs. www.usajobs.opm.gov, series 0081.

Permanently Removed

Better yet, go to the real source-

http://www.ntis.gov/jobs/jobsearch.aspx

Forum Member

With your experience as a medic and volunteer time you might already have the ingrediants to gain a badge. I would learn how to use your experience in taking a firefighter interview and test the waters.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

CaptBob,

I have applied for a position for a mid-size department and I plan on seeing how that goes. The application deadline is tomorrow. I just want to have a "contingency" plan if it falls through. I will probably be in touch with you if I get farther than the written test on this one. The pickings are slim here, and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Test, test and yes test!

Taking one test is not a true test of your capabilities. Going into the military probably won't improve that average. Take every test you can get to. The more tests you take, the better you get at taking tests. Then, when the test comes along that you really want you're ahead of the curve and won't be stumped by a question you haven't heard before.

The biggest thing that will improve your changes between you and a badge is to learn how to take a firefighter interview which is like no other testing process.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

CaptBob,

I will take as many tests as I can. However, I am working on this one right now, and this is the one I want. These jobs come up so infrequently, that I want to do my best. As a first time taking the test, what can I do to give myself the best chances? Has anyone out there gotten hired on their first try? Do I just figure that this is a learning experience, or do I go after it the best I can? Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

Forum Member

Default First Time OUT!

As a first time taking the test, what can I do to give myself the best chances? Has anyone out there gotten hired on their first try?

We see candidates hired on their first try all the time. The secret is being prepared before you show up by learning how to take a firefighter interview; which is like no other interview.

You dont want to waste an opportunity. Youre looking for a seamless no surprises interview. Not getting stumped on one or more questions that could put you out of the running.

You can find possible oral board questions here: http://www.eatstress.com/thirty.htm

Take those questions and practice with a recorder. Using a tape recorder to get your timing, inflection, volume, where to cut out material, get rid of the uh's and other pause fillers, or to find out if you really sound like Donald Duck. You need to get married to your hand-held tape recorder. You need to hear what the oral board is going to hear out of your mouth. It's narrows the distance between you and the badge you're looking for!

First time out?

A very excited candidate called with a great story recently on a Friday. At age 23 Steve decided he really wanted to be a firefighter. He had no education or experience. Where to start? A couple of firefighters told him to be able to test at many agencies he need to first become an EMT.

While taking his EMT one of the instructors told him about this web site. He learned how to take a firefighter interview even though he had never taken his first test. Two months later he had got his EMT cert and signed up for his first test. He made it through the written, agility and was invited to his first oral board. Two weeks later he was invited back to his first chiefs oral. Next thing he was called that hes an alternate for those being considered for the next academy. One of those going for his medical was DQd because of lung capacity.

On Monday, Steve gets a call asking if he can complete his psych and medical that week? Oh, yea, he can. On that Friday when Steve called me he just got off the phone from HR asking him if he could start the academy the next Monday. WOW! His wife got a job offer the same day in the same city. Double WOW!

Shhhh. Dont tell Steve its not possible to get hired on his first test with just an EMT. Hes busy in the academy working hard towards badge pinning graduation day.

You can find more first time out candidates here:
    http://www.eatstress.com/testbest.htm

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information