Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish and codes

Forum Member

Default Amish and codes

There is a bit of a controversy brewing up in our neck of the woods over the Amish and a local codes officer. Apparently they have built several homes, moved a house and refuse to install smoke detectors.....all with no contact with the local codes officer. They claim, they are separate from the world and their religion separates them from the government codes we "Engish" follow.

Now the Amish have been in the area for quite a few years with only a little flap about the orange triangle being a "decoration" on thier buggies, but that was resolved with some silver reflective tape. Apparently this is a new group, (Scwartzentruber?) and they are more resistive to outside influences. We have a few families who have moved into our district in the past couple of years, but no problems with them that I'm aware of.

For those who have an Amish presence in their communities, how do you handle code enforcement and such? Are they exempt on religious grounds?

Forum Member

Its called natural selection. If they are dumb enough to have 15 kids and no smoke detectors then who are we to tell them what to do. Oh wait, laws are there to protect those that can not protect themselves.

I know in Pennsylvania (where an extremely large Amish population exists) the Pa. UCC (uniform construction code) which adopts the ICC Code Series with exemptions and deviations, has provisions within Act 45 or 92 (cant remember which) that exempts "members of religious sects" from minimal electrical requirements.......Not sure, though, if SD's are part of this.

That aside, though I would never reccomend to anyone not to have SD's, I bet if you did a study of fires in amish homes, that the occurances are low.......They have been using candles, fireplaces, etc for hundreds of years and probably have virtually no fires. If they dont want Sd's, let them be.....
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Laws are laws no matter who they affect. If I don't believe in murder, can I get away with it?

job security

plus....
    off topic....

i'm against mother in laws having smoke detectors.... anyway we can make that into a law?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    823112ICC Code Series with exemptions and deviations, has provisions within Act 45 or 92 (cant remember which) that exempts "members of religious sects" from minimal electrical requirements.......
    Good thing we have that "seperation of church and state". It kills me that we specifically say we have a clear seperation then we continue to let churches be tax exempt and have code exceptions specific to religous places of worship. I guess the feeling is that whoever your god is will protect you better than the Code? Funny thing, church fires rarely end well. Must be testing the parishoners faith?

MembersZone Subscriber chadf652's Avatar

This is little off topic but can someone tell me what this means example- Tanker 5 Do you have traffic?? I know it might be a stupid question haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool wow

Quote Originally Posted by chadf652 View Post
    This is little off topic but can someone tell me what this means example- Tanker 5 Do you have traffic?? I know it might be a stupid question haha
    um, wow.......this on not a little off topic, this one's beyond left field.....are you serious? You're asking this question in someone else's thread about enforcing fire codes for the Amish. Your question has absolutely nothing to do with the thread except that it pertains to firefighting.......oh, and just out of curiosity, have you ever used or talked on a radio before?

So much for the old saying, "The only stupid question is the one not asked".
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Or in his case, "There are no stupid questions.....just the idiots asking them."
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Banned

Hey not for nothing, but I just had some of the wired smoke detectors installed as part of my repairs from the fire I had. At this time they do not work. They started beeping one night at 4 am, I couldn't get them to stop and I was in no mood to mess with them. So I pulled them down and unplgged them. Seems when I did that I broke them. Can't they make a reliable smoke detector that only goes off when there is really smoke in the house. I can understand why people have smoke detectors that don't work. Or why they don't want them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Hey not for nothing, but I just had some of the wired smoke detectors installed as part of my repairs from the fire I had. At this time they do not work. They started beeping one night at 4 am, I couldn't get them to stop and I was in no mood to mess with them. So I pulled them down and unplgged them. Seems when I did that I broke them. Can't they make a reliable smoke detector that only goes off when there is really smoke in the house. I can understand why people have smoke detectors that don't work. Or why they don't want them in the first place.
    Most of the hard wired detectors that I've seen have a battery back up in them. I would think if I had a faulty detector I would be getting it repaired or replaced rather quickly.

You claim to be an intelligent firefighter, and this is the best way you can handle a smoke alarm activation? Are they also CO detectors? Probably was a lack of oxygen in the area.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    You claim to be an intelligent firefighter, and this is the best way you can handle a smoke alarm activation? Are they also CO detectors? Probably was a lack of oxygen in the area.
    OOUUUCHHH
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Dday,look carefully:The trolls trolling and you've just been had. T.C.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Most of the hard wired detectors that I've seen have a battery back up in them. I would think if I had a faulty detector I would be getting it repaired or replaced rather quickly.
    It wasn't really defective, it was picking up a false positive. It was a humid night, we had a fire in the fireplace outside. Windows were open. It was picking up something. At 4am I was just wanting to sleep. So I disconnected them.

Talking

It wasn't really defective, it was picking up a false positive. It was a humid night, we had a fire in the fireplace outside. Windows were open. It was picking up something. At 4am I was just wanting to sleep. So I disconnected them.

Oh god!

Put up your umbrella's cause here comes the **** storm.

...You know...I'm not even going to get into this.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Someone is asking if Tanker 5 has something to say on the radio. Either that or it was on an aviation channel and air traffic control was asking if they could see another airplane. In either case, I'm not sure what it has to do with smoke detectors or HotTrotter being a retard.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Amish

I Would Tell The Amish If They Are Exempt From The Codes Good Luck And Call Me If They Have A Fire.

Wait I Forgot, They Don't Have Phones. Good Luck With That!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

So HotTrotter,
    You think they were getting a false positive? And you went back to sleep after disconnecting them.

me thnks with the fire in the fire place out side that there might have been something on the inside, Either from the smoke or ETOH.

In Post #2 jonnyirons2 stated "Its called natural selection" I guess that works for firefights also.

And now you can not get them to work.

All I can say is be safe
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information