Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Can Canadian firefighters get hired in America

Brothers
    Im a Canadian Professional Firefighter, and my wife has a job opportunity in Ohio. Anyone know how a Canadian Firefighter can get hired in the U.S? Is there a transfer available? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

yours in fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Look into IFSAC. If you can get your IFSAC certs, some states in the U.S. will grant reciprocity for IFSAC seals. In your case, I don't specifically know if Ohio is an IFSAC state. I do know that Texas is one though.

Best of luck.

Forum Member

Ohio is not an accreditate state fire program. Nothing will transfer here for fire. You may or may not be able to transfer EMS certifications since we use national registry. I don't know how that may effect Canada. Unfortunately you will need to takke fire school over again to be certified in Ohio. Also, be aware that depending on what part of Ohio you are looking at, medic certifications are necessary for jobs. This is a great time to be looking for jobs. The DROP program is starting to see a bunch of guys retire everywhere. This year will be a great year to be taking tests here.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

jb, no offense bro, maybe things have changed, but,

I had Marines in my reserve unit whose DoD IFSAC certs were transferred to OH, and others who were already OH firefighters and were given DoD reciprocity. Ohio is listed as an IFSAC member. Here's the Ohio fire academy website, contact them to be sure.

http://www.com.state.oh.us/sfm/fmac/

Quote Originally Posted by STFDladder5 View Post
    Brothers
    Im a Canadian Professional Firefighter, and my wife has a job opportunity in Ohio. Anyone know how a Canadian Firefighter can get hired in the U.S? Is there a transfer available? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

yours in fire
    First you have to get a green card. No work visa, no job.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    First you have to get a green card. No work visa, no job.
    Yup, once he has that he will be like and other Jose, Jacque, or Henri who wants to go through the hiring process.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unless you come in like I did - with a foreign employment assignment. But on a serious note, I agree with Dennis, no visa, no employment. Except maybe as a volunteer???

**Yep, I just had to plug that one in. **
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by STFDladder5 View Post
    Brothers

yours in fire
    Not sure about Ohio. Here in Texas we hire from all over. As long as you can legally work in the US you would be elligable to test, get hired on, trained, and certifited. We have a number of fire fighters from around the globe. You would be required to go threw the academy no matter what your experience.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking I thought your foreign assignment was in CA?

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Unless you come in like I did - with a foreign employment assignment.
    Yes, you Canadian chaps work so hard in the Embassy. Always off to one embassy ball or another, off early on Friday, just cuz, day off for National Maple Syrup Day......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    jb, no offense bro, maybe things have changed, but,

I had Marines in my reserve unit whose DoD IFSAC certs were transferred to OH, and others who were already OH firefighters and were given DoD reciprocity. Ohio is listed as an IFSAC member. Here's the Ohio fire academy website, contact them to be sure.

http://www.com.state.oh.us/sfm/fmac/
    That must be a new thing. A few years ago we were looking at moving and Ohio was not IFSAC, so they would not take my certs. Will miracles never cease. We have had guys at our place have to retake fire school in the past.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Upn further review..... The grandfather application says that training must have been recieved prior to 12/31/02 to be elgible. This probably means that they will still have to decide whether or not they will accept it. I recommend would calling the state and ask them directly.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post
    Yes, you Canadian chaps work so hard in the Embassy. Always off to one embassy ball or another, off early on Friday, just cuz, day off for National Maple Syrup Day......

Yep. And dont forget the golf tournaments too. "National Syrup (read CANADA) Day" is coming up on 29 June - for some reason we are not celebrating it on 1 July as everyone back in Canada will be. I guess the Washington calendar is a few days ahead of the rest of the world. heehehhee
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information