I received a page early yesterday afternoon advising that there would be a news cast regarding this ....

Baby Delivered On Dulles Toll Road. Mother, Baby In Good Condition At Hospital

POSTED: 12:41 pm EDT June 12, 2007
UPDATED: 7:29 pm EDT June 12, 2007

FAIRFAX, Va. -- The Fairfax County Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department helped deliver a baby boy Tuesday morning, authorities said.

Michelle and Norman Cruz said they were not expecting their little bundle of joy until July 8, but their son decided to make an early and very dramatic entrance into the world Tuesday morning.

Having gone through labor once before with daughter Alexi, Michelle said she knew by 7:15 a.m. that she needed to hit the road. But, caught up in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic on the Dulles Toll Road by 8 a.m., Norman dialed 911.

At about 9 a.m., Michelle Cruz said she was traveling eastbound on the Dulles Toll Road near Hunter Mill when she could feel the baby start to come.

"The way that everything was going, it was happening so fast. It's like that gut feeling you know. I had a feeling he was coming out now. My whole thing was, 'Please someone come and give me drugs,'" said Michelle.

"It was crazy - definitely a special delivery," she said.

Fairfax County Fire and EMS crews were soon on the scene.

The mother and her child were taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital.

"I was supposed to follow him to the hospital and like a minute later the guy said, 'The baby will be here any minute,'" said Norman. "I said, 'Any minute?!' Then he walked back to the ambulance and walked back to me and said, 'It's a boy.' I was like, 'WOW!'"

"We don't get the chance to deliver too many babies on the side of the road, on the toll road, during rush hour, so it was a rare occurrence, but it went very well. Everybody did a stellar job," said emergency response personnel Capt. Kathleen Stanley.

Tuesday afternoon, the crew who helped deliver the baby came by the hospital, where they found mother and baby in good condition.

The baby, Javan Anthony, was 5 pounds, 13 ounces. Michelle said that she originally planned on having five children but as of Tuesday, she said, she may be rethinking that plan.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

I was hoping they would interview the crew who attended, but either I missed that part somewhere along the news cast - it was paged that three news stations would carry it - or they never went into that much detail.

WELL DONE "C" SHIFT!