Thread: Cpat

Forum Member

Default Cpat

I know there has been some discussion on here within recent months about CPAT prices going up. I guess I don't pay attention too much until it affects me (selfish bastard that I am).

How can they justify more than doubling the price of CPAT? I don't mind paying it if it will be taken for a longer period of time. Will it? I mean I last took it in November of 06'. I have applied in Meriden and they will only take CPAT after March 07'. What ever happened to taking it for a year after completion.

I know there is not much I can do, but I would at least like to know if I am paying $150- that it will be taken in December or Janruary if another town is hiring. Or will I have to pay another $150- to take it again.

$150- is a lot of money for a family of 4 with a single income.

Oh well, done whining. If anyone has some feedback that we might get some benifit from the increase please do share

Cheers
    Mark

MembersZone Subscriber

Your paying for proctors (although most if not all of them couldnt pass this test) to be there through the 2 orientations, 2 practices, and the actual test. Keep in mind that you can pass it on the practice shots if the conditions are right.

Forum Member

On the flip side less people will be willing to take the CPAT since the price increase. That potentially means less competition, and anyone who has applied to any fire dept. knows the competitive nature of the fire service. If you look at it that way it doesnt seem so bad.

Ryan

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure the six month life of a CPAT card is the standard set by CPAT. Depts may take a CPAT card up to a year (I've seen that done here in CT), but they are not required to.

As for benefits (beyond three possible attempts) of a more expensive test is you would hope less serious people would be deterred from taking the test.

@ $150.00 All I can say is study hard so you only have to take the CPAT once.

Smile Cpat

First off CPAT does not put a life on their cards..the life is set by the city that is requireing the card....The price is up for the reason that you now have 5 sessions instead of 2.....more chances for you to pass.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scotts48 View Post
    Your paying for proctors (although most if not all of them couldnt pass this test) to be there through the 2 orientations, 2 practices, and the actual test. Keep in mind that you can pass it on the practice shots if the conditions are right.
    Scotts - What do you mean? You can pass it in the practice/orientation?
    Please do tell
    Thanks
    Mark

Forum Member

Default CPAT at practice

If you go to one of the practice sessions and complete the course in the required time; you pass and get your certificate. You do not have to go back for the published test date. I passed on the practice test 2 weeks ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AXE471WFD View Post
    If you go to one of the practice sessions and complete the course in the required time; you pass and get your certificate. You do not have to go back for the published test date. I passed on the practice test 2 weeks ago.
    You got to practice it? We had an orientation day where we were able to put our hands on everything, we did not use the entire weight for the stairs (for one minute) and we were not allowed to see the search portion. A test run would have saved some grief for a few guys for sure (those who, for some reason couldn't understand the video or the spoken description of what we were to do and managed to screw it up by stepping outside a box or going around the wrong barrel). It costs almost $400 here for the written and CPAT.

Forum Member

Yes, if you pass on the practice test you dont have to come back. One difference is that if you pass on a practice day you dont get a certificate on the spot, they mail it to you. One thing to keep in mind is that factors like temperature and weather need to be within the requirements as if it was an actual test date. when i took the practice test it was 91 degrees. if it got to 95, we would of still did a run through but i wouldnt of counted if you passed, due to the fact that 95 is the cut off.

Higby916, where did you take the cpat? When i went down to orientation they urged everyone to try every station, esspecially the stairclimber in full weights for the whole 3:20.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD22 View Post
    Yes, if you pass on the practice test you dont have to come back. One difference is that if you pass on a practice day you dont get a certificate on the spot, they mail it to you. One thing to keep in mind is that factors like temperature and weather need to be within the requirements as if it was an actual test date. when i took the practice test it was 91 degrees. if it got to 95, we would of still did a run through but i wouldnt of counted if you passed, due to the fact that 95 is the cut off.

Higby916, where did you take the cpat? When i went down to orientation they urged everyone to try every station, esspecially the stairclimber in full weights for the whole 3:20.
    I've done the CPAT in a couple of cities in Ontario and neither city allowed us to see the search and neither city allowed a practice. We were allowed to touch everything and be comfortable with what was being asked of us, but no practice. One city didn't allow others to stand and watch either, you were taken into the gym one person at a time (a second was brought in while the test was being completed and you started right away). I guess it's good that you get to practice it, but kind of takes away from the "test", no?

MembersZone Subscriber

In a way thats what they want. Yes you get multiple attempts granted the conditions are right. It helps both types of people, the guy that would pass it normally but for what ever reason slips up during the test and then the "person" that couldnt normally pass it now has the chance x3. Its good and bad. I think it should be a one shot deal personally.

Forum Member

In a way thats what they want. Yes you get multiple attempts granted the conditions are right. It helps both types of people, the guy that would pass it normally but for what ever reason slips up during the test and then the "person" that couldnt normally pass it now has the chance x3. Its good and bad. I think it should be a one shot deal personally.
    Yup, me too. I watched a guy go around the wrong barrel with the hose (went around the equipment carry barrel). I felt sorry for him, but he went to the orientation, he watched the video before the test, he listened to the Capt tell him to follow the lines and arrows and to make a 90 degree turn at the barrel and in the heat of the moment he still went the wrong way. It's too bad, but I guess when the heat is on you have to be able to take it, right?

Forum Member

is there anyway i can move my cpat date back, i injured my foot and really havent been able to run or hit the gym at all for a few weeks. I know i vaugely remember reading something that said you can postpone it 2 weeks in advance?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD22 View Post

Is this true for all CPAT's?

The dept I'm testing with offered an orientation (which I attended) and a fully-timed practice session (which I took...8:40) and I'm scheduled next Friday for the official CPAT.

I can tell you, I was a little nervous at the practice session....so I really have no idea how nervous I'll be at the actual. But if I do something stupid, can I still technically pass since I received a passing time at the practice session?

I have to think that if I screw the pooch at the actual CPAT, I am out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jwarne2001 View Post

The dept I'm testing with offered an orientation (which I attended) and a fully-timed practice session (which I took...8:40) and I'm scheduled next Friday for the official CPAT.

I can tell you, I was a little nervous at the practice session....so I really have no idea how nervous I'll be at the actual. But if I do something stupid, can I still technically pass since I received a passing time at the practice session?

All i know for sure is that in Connecticut, you get an orientation, 2 practice tests and then the actual test. the practice test counts if you pass it and they tell you you dont need to come back. I'm not sure if it is this way in all areas.

Forum Member

Nope, like I mentioned, you get an orientation here and no practice. They give you ample opportunity to see it on video and walk through each station. Kind of like the written; they give you an idea of what to expect but don't show you the questions.

Forum Member

if you passed with a time of 8:40 on the practice you should be good for the actual test. just stay positive and stay in shape and you should do fine. the last time i took it i had about a second to spare...way too close for comfort but hey, a pass is a pass.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont my state taxes pay for the proctors? I would think they do in some way. I know it is paying for the electricity to run that building.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im sure the taxes are kicked in somewhere ie. building maintanence, electricity, gas , prolly some of the equipment. The cost of having so many proctors for all of the 5 dates is picked up by the application fee and prolly a small portion of taxes.

Forum Member

did anyone take and pass the practice test on june 2nd? and if so, have you gotten your card in the mail yet? they said 3 weeks, i guess they meant it because i havent gotten mine.

Thread Information