Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Does Your Station Have Detectors/Alarm System In Case Of Fire?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we have a alarm system in our station.

57 72.15%
  • No, we don't have an alarm system at this time.

20 25.32%
  • We are thinking/talking about it.

2 2.53%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Your Station Protected???

After reading a comment by GeorgeWendtCFI about having a fire detection system in your fire station promted me to start this. So he deserves all the credit for it, he just got my wheels spinning. We have a lot of money invested in all of our equipment and maybe it will get some people thinking.

As stated in the other thread, do some searching here.

Also to note, firehouse.com had a poll on their home page last year. Email them to see if you can get their final results. From what I remember, the results were not encouraging.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually for lack of a better answer I voted that we have an alarm. In actuality we have no alarm system but the building is fully sprinklered and I'll call the water motor gong the "alarm". Additionally we have single station Smokes and CO detectors throughout the "house" area.

Forum Member

Are we protected? Sure. We have an engine and five firemen sitting there 24 hours a day to protect our house!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Are we protected? Sure. We have an engine and five firemen sitting there 24 hours a day to protect our house!
    Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for...

MembersZone Subscriber

so you don't run any calls at all then?!!! since you are there 24 hrs. a day!!

With the exception of those who can build 8 million dollar fire houses, look around the country... Alot of fire houses are pre 1970 or earler. Think of the cost to retrofit them with sprinklers and alarms... If you put a alarm in a unmaned pull barn who will hear it, alot of places don't have conpanies to monitor them 24/7 in their area... Look at most metro citys, some still have 50 year old fire houses..... yes we can look at it and say cost/gain but also look at location and practitcality.....
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Forum Member

No. And the issue isn't just alarms. The next firehouse I am in that is fully code compliant may well be the first.

This is a particular bit of fire service hypocricy that has always bugged the hell out of me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Small voly, no phone we are either having a meeting or on a call, the rest of the time no one there to hear an alarm
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Banned

I thought you ran calls? Why would you have an engine that neveer leaves the fire house? Five fireman??? 4 to play cards and one to serve refreshments??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    No. And the issue isn't just alarms. The next firehouse I am in that is fully code compliant may well be the first.

This is a particular bit of fire service hypocricy that has always bugged the hell out of me.
    I don't have a problem adding alarm systems. But how about pushing for alarm systems that don't produce false alarms. I find that smoke detectors and fire alarm systems produce too many false alarms, and the problem there is that people start assuming every alarm is a flase alarm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    With the exception of those who can build 8 million dollar fire houses, look around the country... Alot of fire houses are pre 1970 or earler. Think of the cost to retrofit them with sprinklers and alarms... If you put a alarm in a unmaned pull barn who will hear it, alot of places don't have conpanies to monitor them 24/7 in their area... Look at most metro citys, some still have 50 year old fire houses..... yes we can look at it and say cost/gain but also look at location and practitcality.....
    Get down to Lowes. GE has a wireless detector "system" for about $150 that will dial whatever phone # you input and play recorded fire message. Including dialing your dispatch center. Only problem is the diesel's will set off the detectors so have to unplug phone line before starting the trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    I don't have a problem adding alarm systems. But how about pushing for alarm systems that don't produce false alarms. I find that smoke detectors and fire alarm systems produce too many false alarms, and the problem there is that people start assuming every alarm is a flase alarm.
    LMAO, isn't that the truth! Every time we get a call for an alarm at the ******* (insert annoying location here) I groan and make the run to look around and wonder what's the point of most times we go there..... I'm just picturing the looks on the guys' faces when we start getting false alarm calls to our own barn!!! LMAO
    Are we supposed to just send in a small crew to look for the fire before we let guys in to gear up or what's the protocol for that alarm?????? Mutual aid?
    "SC fire, NEMI calling for mutual aid response to check out our hall before we can go in and get our bunkers....." LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    The biggest problem is lack of maintenance. If the property owner chooses not to properly maintain the system, give them some "financial incentive" to do so.. like a fine for every system malfunction or non legitimate alarm.

The "cry wolf" syndrome can be handled with public fire education.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Alarm system and fully sprinklered.

I voted no because it's the most correct answer. My station does have smoke detecotrs but doesn't have a monitored alarm system. My fire department has a mix of buildings with the oldest being built in the early 1960's and the latest is currently being constructed. All new buildings have a monitored fire alarm system and sprinkler system. As to the "false alarm" the alarm system activates for a reason whether its an actual fire, cooking, a malfunction, or whatever. Instead of ****ing and moaning about "false alarms" try finding out what is causing it and suggest a solution, it worked us. Same deal with the lack of monitored fire alarms and sprinkler systems in firehouses across the U.S. don't just **** and moan how about suggesting a solution.

Alarmed for smoke, heat & CO
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one house with a burglar alarm and fence around the parking area. In fact many of our stations have barb wire topped fences around the parking. Many others without park inside behind the rigs in the "bad" parts of town!

MembersZone Subscriber

All volly, alarmed for Heat/Smoke to ADT.

Neighboring department has it set up that thier tones drop when the fire alarm goes off, no voice though. SO if the pager goes off, and you hear nothing, it's the firehouse alarm!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The biggest problem is lack of maintenance. If the property owner chooses not to properly maintain the system, give them some "financial incentive" to do so.. like a fine for every system malfunction or non legitimate alarm.

The "cry wolf" syndrome can be handled with public fire education.
    Actually, I've seen brand new systems have the same issues. Matter of fact, our local elementary school still has the problems.

Thread Information