Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Red face Knoxville, TN Hiring Process

I recently applied to the Knoxville fire department. I passed the written and physical exam. What is the next step, when will I hear back, and how does the "RANKING" work? I've have been trying to become a fire fighter for 6 years and I'm hoping this is it. Any info. someone could supply would be great.

I guess no one has heard anything.

Forum Member

same deal. I've got my ranking but haven't gotten anything else yet. done the physical and written tests. supposedly the next step is background packet but don't know when.

Is the physical test still how many sit-ups you can do, how hard you can pull on a dynomometer, and hold long you can balance on that see-saw thing?

Forum Member

Yeah, same deal. We did the dynometer (sp?) first, measuring pulling strength. We did 3 which were avg. for our final score. Next was the situps in a min, then the stupid stabilometer. On that we did 1 example of 30 secs, then 3 for 30 secs which were avg. for our final score out of 30 secs. Boy was I terrible at that!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary615 View Post
    I recently applied to the Knoxville fire department. I passed the written and physical exam. What is the next step, when will I hear back, and how does the "RANKING" work? I've have been trying to become a fire fighter for 6 years and I'm hoping this is it. Any info. someone could supply would be great.
    If you have passed both the written and physical you can call Civil Service and ask them where you are at on the current list (i.e. #1, #49, #503, etc...). After that there is nothing else to do until they decide to move ahead with the hiring process (interview, background, polygraph and physical). Right now it's the 'ol waiting game.

Basically you are 'ranked' to see if you are given an interview. Civil Service has a rule which basically says if KFD hires 40 people, they would have to interview atleast 200 (5 per every position they are going to fill). So if you are in the top 175-225, I'd say you will be given an interview (when, who knows--but sometime soon as the goal is to begin a new class as soon as the current one graduates in September).

After the interview is when you are either given the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' to continue on in the process. If you are selected to continue, everything else in the process follows and things move along quicker.

So, long story short: If you passed both the written and physical you can call Civil Service and ask about your ranking. After that it's the waiting game until they say....

Hope that helps.

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all the information you provided. I'm ranked within that range. Hope I get an interview soon, I'll have to just wait and see.

Forum Member

Yeah, thanks for all the information! I should be in those qualifying for the interview as well so I can't wait to get some news from them! Thanks again though!

Talking Got IT

Got my packet in the mail today and I have to pick a date for an interview, anywhere between Oct. 13-21. I hope everything goes well. I really want this job. Please wish me luck!

Thread Information