Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tallest aerial

Forum Member

Default Tallest aerial

Curious as to what the hight of the tallest aerial made is. The tallest I've seen has been 110 ft. Is that just an industry standard type thing or are taller ladders made?

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Question Not absolutely sure

I seem to remember reading about a 250 ft T.L made in Japan--any further info?

Correction--Metz-203ft
    Last edited by 2andfrom; 06-14-2007 at 03:03 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Here is the current mother of all aerials:

http://www.bronto.fi/brochures/02_AboveAll_F101HLA.pdf

101 METER Bronto
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Smeal makes a 125 ft. stick.
    Brass cajones to climb it are not included.

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    Here is the current mother of all aerials:

http://www.bronto.fi/brochures/02_AboveAll_F101HLA.pdf

101 METER Bronto
    I remembered seeing an article on that several years ago. That's an "E-Ticket" ride, to be sure!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Do the rescue cages that the Tokyo Fire Brigade hangs below their helicopters count? 'Cause those could be called a couple of thousand feet aerials. They can spray water and pluck victems......
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Default E-one

E-one used to make a 135' straight stick. Dunno if you ca special order it anymore, it's not on their website.

Here's a picture of one in DC, looks to be a reserve...it's an'89.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think its a loaded question... able to be used here or not? NFPA ratings and all would probably stop that monster Bronto from being "fire service" approved here with a 400 kg basket capacity, but that is one impressive SOB. I think I'd need a beer or two to ride up in that one. 331 feet, wow.

I think Smeal does the highest currently in production American built stick, like previously mentioned. The E-One 135 footer, last I heard, wasn't produced anymore.

Metz, I'm pretty sure, has sold a 120 footer here in the states, and has a 175foot straight stick available. I don't know if the 175 is rated for use here per NFPA requirements or not.

Sutphen's Magnum is a 110 foot mid mount platform. The Bronto is available here to 134 feet.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Metz just delivered three 53M(175)foot sticks to Dubai.They make an even bigger one but I have to go research it to tell you what it is.I'll try to look it up tomorrow. T.C.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

South Padre Island, TX operates with a 1996 Pierce Arrow with a 174' Bronto SkyLift on it. Nice rig, I've been to a 174' in it, very stable platform.

Forum Member

Calavar

Forum Member

I don't see why a 400kg rating would be an issue for NFPA...that works out to 881 lbs. More than enough to have two fully geared up firefighters as well as a civilian with some weight to spare.

Aerial apparatus are mandated by NFPA 1901. When an aerial is tested for its weight rating it will be set up with an empty waterway, while at full extension in a horizontal position. A platform aerial such as this one would be required to withstand 750 lbs of weight while being evaluated. Based on the Bronto ratings, this leaves a buffer of 131 pounds. Based on the other specs of this aerial, it would meet and exceed every NFPA 1901 specification for a platform aerial. There is no reason why it could not be used here in the States.

There are already numerous Bronto's in service across America, as BoxAlarm187 pointed out, there are 174' platforms in service in many parts of the country, as well as Bronto HLA platforms at 167', and Bronto RLP's at 134' and 114'. There are lots of options, and currently E-One is building the chassis for these Bronto's out of Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I think its a loaded question... able to be used here or not? NFPA ratings and all would probably stop that monster Bronto from being "fire service" approved here with a 400 kg basket capacity, but that is one impressive SOB. I think I'd need a beer or two to ride up in that one. 331 feet, wow.

I think Smeal does the highest currently in production American built stick, like previously mentioned. The E-One 135 footer, last I heard, wasn't produced anymore.

Metz, I'm pretty sure, has sold a 120 footer here in the states, and has a 175foot straight stick available. I don't know if the 175 is rated for use here per NFPA requirements or not.

Sutphen's Magnum is a 110 foot mid mount platform. The Bronto is available here to 134 feet.

MembersZone Subscriber

E-One does still offer the 135' aerial despite it not being offered on their web site.

Just a thought.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by FF21CFD View Post
    I don't see why a 400kg rating would be an issue for NFPA...that works out to 881 lbs. More than enough to have two fully geared up firefighters as well as a civilian with some weight to spare.

Aerial apparatus are mandated by NFPA 1901. When an aerial is tested for its weight rating it will be set up with an empty waterway, while at full extension in a horizontal position. A platform aerial such as this one would be required to withstand 750 lbs of weight while being evaluated. Based on the Bronto ratings, this leaves a buffer of 131 pounds. Based on the other specs of this aerial, it would meet and exceed every NFPA 1901 specification for a platform aerial. There is no reason why it could not be used here in the States.

There are already numerous Bronto's in service across America, as BoxAlarm187 pointed out, there are 174' platforms in service in many parts of the country, as well as Bronto HLA platforms at 167', and Bronto RLP's at 134' and 114'. There are lots of options, and currently E-One is building the chassis for these Bronto's out of Florida.
    I stand corrected. For some reason I had a flawed rating in my head... I researched everything else I typed. That'll teach me...

My apologies.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

off With Your Head!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    off With Your Head!
    All you Toyne lovers are sooo quick to judge!

Permanently Removed

Actually I do not think the Bronto in the link could ever go NFPA 1901. No doubt impressive but without seeing the load chart I bet it is limited in configurations not realized by US makes simply due to its height. Many other things in 1901 that would disqualify a European machine like that one. Everything from control station layout and operation to stability requirements.

Sure there are FDís in the states running non NFPA 1901 aerials Ė some probably Brontos I suppose because NFPA 1901 is a "guideline". Just a choice they make if they buy an aerial that complies with 1901 or not.

The reason US aerials will never get that tall is because of our standards, codes, and safety requirements in the US - just a different market.

Just more to consider than dry tip load, but it sure is the mother of them all. TL

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking Long time ago!

As a ex(very ex)Ladder operator I think I might be changing my underwear every time I "played" with these big babies!

Calgary Fire Department has a 164 ft bronto
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.firehall.com - check it out

Forum Member

Waiting on the arrival of 2 of these ladders to replace ladder's 1 & 7. They are both 125 ft.

Thread Information