+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Knoxville?

Forum Member

Default Yhea...

I understand you don't work for the Dept.. If you can see, I keep putting "question for cmfireguy" on the subject line of each of my posts. Not saying that with an attitude, just making sure you don't think I'm an idiot...

Forum Member

Default Oh

Well I look stupid, sorry. I hope you get the information your looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Just a few questions

cmfireguy,

If you dont care to pass out more info about the rest of the hiring process. (i.e. Interview, background, and especially the polygraph). Anything will be a great help. I am presently a paramedic in TN, I have taken the states basic firefighter 56hr. course, and have my live burn 24hr. at the states academy, and am HAZ-MAT operations level. Will these things help me through the interview because I have absolutely no pull in the City of Knoxville. Any indepth info would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Questions for cmfireguy?????

cmfireguy,

Any additional info you could give would be great as fir as the rest of the hiring process(i.e. background, Interview, and especially the polygraph). I am currently a TN paramedic, I have taken the the states basic firefighter 56hr course and 24hr live burn at the states academy, and I also am HAZ-MAT operations level. Will any of these help me along because I have no pull in the City of Knoxville. Any indepth info would be great. THANKS

Forum Member

Default Process

As far as the process goes. Read my earlier comments. Just wear you "Sunday" Suit. Be honest. It's great that you are a paramedic. That will give you a big boost. But as far as the fire and the Hazmat, you will have to take it all over in the Academy. For the polygraph, be honest. If you get your background packet in the mail, the polygraph examiner will review that and ask you some similar questions. That's about it with the polygraph, Once you get the Ok from Civil Service. Start running. I am telling everyone that this Academy is the best around. It was my Third and by far the best.

Any other questions feel free to contact me.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Default Packet

I got my packet and sent it off last week. Looking forward to the interveiw and other pointers would be great. Does anyone know how long the interveiw is?

Forum Member

Default Interview

The Interviews are blocked for 10-15 minutes. The Interview is the toughest part because after you leave the room. The Interview committee will go around the room with either a thumbs up or down. If you get a thumbs up then they will place you on the contact list or the reserve list. Did you keep a copy of your background packet? They will ask you a few questions on the packet, and if you get to the Polygraph, you will have to fill it all out again to see if there are any discrepencies.

Good Luck.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Interv.

A buddy and I have a interveiw October 1. Good luck to everyone who has one.

Forum Member

Default Question for Cmfireguy...

Do you know if Knoxville will let you buy prior military time back?

Forum Member

That is a good question,

Yes, The City does give you an option to buy out It is very expensive though. I could be wrong on this, I think they only allow you to buy 5 years. but anyway, Since it is a requirement to attend the Fire Acadmey in Knoxville. They have set up a program where the Military will give you money for attending classes with in the Academy.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Question Question cmfireguy

What type of questions will be asked at the interview? What do I need to prepare myself for? Thanks for your help.

Forum Member

Hey good luck with your interview on Oct 1st. Mine is then too actually. And, to second Zachary's question, what kind of questions should I prepare myself for? Zachary- I know you are coming from out of area, have you got a place to stay or are you making it a one day trip? Let me know cause I'd be happy to help since I'm in Knoxville. Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Hotel

A buddy and I are staying at a hotel a few exits before downtown Knoxville, probably about 10 minutes away. We are driving in from Memphis Sunday and leaving after the interview, thanks for asking though man. What time is your interview on Monday?

Forum Member

my interview is scheduled for 4. what about you?
    Let me know if you need more directions or anything to help in Knox Vegas. I live about 3 miles from the office.

Forum Member

Default Time

My interview is at 10:15 AM. Yeah... it would be great if you could tell me how to get there. Thanks

Forum Member

Exclamation

No problem.

First off, the interview is at 900 Hill Ave Suite 430 correct?
    If Not, please let me know where it is and disregard the directions below!

Like I said before, I'm coming from right downtown so I don't even have to jump on the interstate. BUT, you will be coming the interstate and one thing that you need to know is that James White Pkwy is closed which is probably the way that mapquest is telling you to go. To be honest, it's going to be a pain if you don't know your way around because they got a bunch of roads on east side of the city closed and stuff. But, here's what I'd do:

Take 40East to exit 388A which I believe is Central Street. You'll see it coming up because the exits right before it are for UT and then the highway will narrow. Get off at 388A and go south or continue south and you'll go over some railroad tracks through the Jackson Ave intersection and then take a left onto E Summit Hill Drive. It should be your 4th or 5th large intersection. This should all be in about 1/2 mile or less. Go down E Summit Hill Drive until you get to E Hill Ave (a mile or less) take a right and then you'll see the business center on the left. Doesn't look governmental at all. keep straight thro there and it'll be the 2nd/last building on right and the office should be right there on the corner.
    This is what I'd do because James White is closed but with other possible road closures, it'd be good to have a map or at least print one off of the city.
    If you want, send me an email at khunter2@gmail.com and I'll give you my phone number so you can call me should you get turned around and have like 5 mins before the interview- damn that would suck.
    Good luck with it!

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the directions, they helped. I went the night before just to make sure I would find it.

I think my interview went pretty well, let me know how you did. Do you know how long it might be till we hear something?

Forum Member

No problem, glad they helped. Actually, my interview is tomorrow at 4, not today. You said it went pretty well, is there anything you can tell me to help me out? What kind of questions etc? Thanks!

Forum Member

Default Questions

It really didn't seem like an interview. It's in a conference room with about 6 people and they ask you questions about your application packet and see if you know what all goes along with being a fire fighter. They ask you if your aware of the working schedule and if you are aware that it's your responsibility to clean the fire house. If you can handle being away from your family, questions like that. It's not what I expected at all. Because the questions were so vague I'm not sure how they go about making the decision if you are on or not. I guess it's their first impression and how you present yourself. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Hey guys, had my interview Tues; I think it went pretty well. I was surprised by the lack of real subjective questions, instead had all those "yes/no" questions. It was kinda interesting because I'd be getting used to the "yes/no" questions and they'd throw me a real question or the "which way is east question?". All and all, I guess okay. I hate panel interviewing like that.
    Not sure when the next thing will happen. I guess it's the medical prescreening or background investigation? Probably be notified via letter on our interview status. Good luck and let me know if you hear anything.

Forum Member

Default Should I have?

At the end of the interviews they ask, "are there any questions you have for us?" and I didn't say a word...

Should I have?

Before my interview I was hopeful about possibly getting hired but I'm starting to wonder... it sounds like you have to go through two or three hiring sessions before you get picked up. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Forum Member

Hey Guys,

It looks like your interviews went pretty well. I told you all that the questions were very in general. It's all on first impression. After you left the Office the Assistant Chief went around the room with either a thumbs up or down. A thumbs up meant you were put on a list. A thumbs down meant Thanks for applying maybe next time. They are still in the process of interviewing, They are interviewing 110 candidates for 24-26 positions. The interviews wrap up Next Friday. From there they will go from your written exam of who gets put on the List or the Reserve List. If your on the Reserve list down panic. They usually select people from the reserve list because candidates usually don't pass part of the background. It Looks like the Middle of March or April for the Academy.

Good Luck, sorry it's been a while since I've replied.

If you need anything feel free to ask.

Forum Member

Dave,

Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times to get into the Academy, Fortunite for me I was selected my first time Interviewing. I had prior Experience though. Anyway, As far as the Interview goes you always want to ask questions. It's nothing to really worry about, but you want to sound interested in the City. For Instance, I asked Does the City of Knoxville have a 5 year master plan. Are there plans for additional stations. Little questions like that to make them think you are really interested. I hope everything turns out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by davesoutside View Post
    At the end of the interviews they ask, "are there any questions you have for us?" and I didn't say a word...

Should I have?

Before my interview I was hopeful about possibly getting hired but I'm starting to wonder... it sounds like you have to go through two or three hiring sessions before you get picked up. Does anyone know if that's the case?

MembersZone Subscriber

Question question for cmfireguy

Hey thanks for your help w/ ansewering our questions. I think I speak for all of us. My interview went really well. They really like the fact that I was a licensed paramedic. I hope that helps me get selected. I do have a question for you, you said in your last post that if you are selected that then they will "go to your written exam", what do you mean. Are they going to go to our scores? Reason I ask is I had just gotten off my 24 on the ambulance and was ran like a scalded dog, so I was really tired and only scored in the 80's. Just wondering if that will hurt me. Also, How long do they normally take to get back w/ you on the interview. Thanks again for your help!!!

Forum Member

Default new guy to the forum

Hey guys, I just found this forum and I too am involved in the process. I guess waiting like the rest to find out about my interview, which was unlike any other fire interview I have done. I am a fireman in FL hoping to move to TN next year. Does anybody else work for another department? I'll make sure I post when I get the letter, good news or bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information