Thread: Knoxville?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thanks....cmfireguy and kfdengine6

Thanks for the ansewers to my questions. I just cant help to be nervous about the rest of the process. I know that my drug test is clean and I just had a background check through the TBI for my medic license. So to be totally honest the only thing I think would hold me back is the polygraph. I know I shouldnt stress but, It stinks to be so close but still so far away. Also davesoutside post about the background packet, there are a few things that have changed from my original packet....(example: I was not married at the time of the last packet and now I am..... and on the last packet I had no other apps. in with other departments and now I do just in case this job doesnt work out I will have something to fall back on.) Will they give me a chance to change these or not. I really want this job, and dont want to let this oppurtunity for me or any others that are working towards KFD to slip through our fingers just because of what a computer says. I know they want the truth and that is important but its hard to swallow that you can pass this whole process and jump through the hoops they make you and a few words at the wrong time can keep you from getting hired.

Forum Member

What will happen is when you go to the Police Department for your Polygraph. He will make you fill out another questionaire exactly like the one you have to turn in. At the end of it there will be a place for you to add something if you forgot it. BUT, BE AWARE. The Examiner will have a hay day and question why you left it out and all that stuff. Just tell the truth. As you can tell very few people make it through the polygraph. It is a very tough and stressful plolygraph. He had me in the Room for 3 hours. there are camera's in each corner of that room. He will leave the room and tell you he has been paged downstairs. but I really think he just goes into the next room and watches you on the camera. Just teasing. I am not sure what he does. Just be prepaired to be there a while.

Anyway. Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Question??

Yesterday I met a fireman whose been w/ knoxville for 5 years. When he took his polygraph his results said that he did not pass. He was then turned over to a appeal board for review, where he explained the ansewers they failed him on. He ended up getting hired. How often does the appeal board reverse your failing status? Also when he took his poly he said he was only there for about an hour, but someone posted that they were there for like 3, so wich is the better time frame for being there? One last thing in earlier posts cmfireguy you said that they ask you questions from your packet, and, kfdengine6 said they ask you some that are on the packet and some that are not, please if you dont care clarify that. Once again, Thanks!!

Forum Member

When does the rest of the testing take place? Just curious if/when I will get called as an alternate. Did they give an estimated starting date at the info workshop?

Forum Member

Default My previous post

I got the answer to my previous post today when the city called me and asked me to come to an info workshop and continue the testing process. I don't know when I go because they left a message on my phone that I got too late, so I have to call Friday morning for details.

Forum Member

Well they ask you several diffenent questions. He will ask you most of the questions on your packet. Then he will ask you other questions, Like do Other people see you as an honest person. Questions like that. It's pretty simple and straight forward. Like i said earlier No sweat just be honest. If for some reason you do fail the polygraph. The examiner will send a letter over to the Fire Department and you will sit infront of the board if they question something or if they want to know more about it. I don't know what all happens in the board because I didn't have to go in front of the board. Anyway. Just be honest and you will be fine.

The Projected start date for the Academy is March. If you haven't received a letter at this point you are probably on the alternates list. It could be up until January or February before you are contacted to attend the workshop. It just depends on how many people fall out of the process.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

Default Testing

I got my call that said I was accepted. I just have to complete the rest of the testing. Brandon- when is your poly scheduled? If your background is clean, then don't sweat it. They try to be your friend and then they switch to intimidate you. I did it when I got hired with the FD here in FL. Answer honest and stick to it. I am supposed to go in Dec. Let me know how it goes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Any news

Been a couple days since my last post, just wandering if there is any word on how the process is going so far? I know from the info workshop that alot of the guys are starting through the rest of the process. I hate the waiting game. I do not do my polygraph or medical exam till the 28th. How soon do they normally get back with you about your results from that stuff? I hate to beat a dead horse on this topic but Im sitting here sweating saying to myself "did you forget anything". You know it is hard to think back at some of the stuff you did when you were younger. But, Oh well Ive about come to the conclusion that if they really want you then they will hire you no matter what. If I pass then great if not better luck to those on the reserve list. Fortunately enough I am a paramedic and as short as the state is on medics I might find a firefighter job elsewhere. But it would be really nice to work for KFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Forgot a question

None of my references I listed on the back of my packet have received the letters they send out, When do they normally send those out, or should I call to see if somethings up. Just wandering. As always, Thanks for the info.

Default Academy

Does anyone here know the schedule for the academy?

Default Academy

Does anyone here know the potential schedule for the academy?

Forum Member

Default Answers

They don't normally don't send those reference checks out until you have completed the all the process. Don't panic. It's normal. The city likes to take things one day at a time.

As far as the Academy it is still planning around March or April.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Forum Member

Default Cmfireguy question...

Hey, do you know anyone on the dept. that might know what's up with the process pertaining to out-of-towners? I haven't heard anything and I'm thinking it's getting closer and closer to March/April and I'm not getting anything in the mail...

MembersZone Subscriber

Question QUESTIONS for cmfireguy?????

Well I took my poly and med exam on the 28th and passed them both.(according to the poly examiner and the doctor) I know that The background check is left. Ive said before I just had a TBI background check back in August for my medic license and im a medic now so its clean, i know. My reference letters are also turned in. What else will happen? I seen on the sheet they gave me in the info workshop they have a "background review panel." Whats that all about? If your good to go by the background check by the TBI then surely they wouldnt knock you out because of something they dont like this far into the process. That sould have been done before the interview. If you can explain that part of the process that would be great. Also how long estimating till Ill get the letter saying ive passed everything? Like I said Ive passed everything so far and my references are in so I hope that will speed things up. As always thanks for the insight!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davesoutside View Post
    Hey, do you know anyone on the dept. that might know what's up with the process pertaining to out-of-towners? I haven't heard anything and I'm thinking it's getting closer and closer to March/April and I'm not getting anything in the mail...

Daveoutside,

I actually work for the City Fire Department. If you have not been contacted at any point you probably are on the Reserve List. Which means you basically have to wait for someone to fall out of the process. It mayb be after christmas before you find anything out. If you get a letter to come to the workshop they will do all three exams while you are in town. You will definately find something out. The city will NOT "leave you hanging". Hope this helps you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandon32251 View Post
    Well I took my poly and med exam on the 28th and passed them both.(according to the poly examiner and the doctor) I know that The background check is left. Ive said before I just had a TBI background check back in August for my medic license and im a medic now so its clean, i know. My reference letters are also turned in. What else will happen? I seen on the sheet they gave me in the info workshop they have a "background review panel." Whats that all about? If your good to go by the background check by the TBI then surely they wouldnt knock you out because of something they dont like this far into the process. That sould have been done before the interview. If you can explain that part of the process that would be great. Also how long estimating till Ill get the letter saying ive passed everything? Like I said Ive passed everything so far and my references are in so I hope that will speed things up. As always thanks for the insight!

Brandon,

The city does their own investigation as well as a TBI investigation. If your TBI Investigation came back clear with your Paramedic. What the City will do is take Investigators and go to where you live and Talk to your Neighbors, and some family members and anyone of your past employers. They just want to make sure your a good guy. Nothing to worry about. If you have gotton through the poly and the Medical I would say your good to go. Since you already have a medical license. They first 8 weeks will be manual labor for you. The first 8 weeks will be EMT class. You will be doing Hose Testing and Ladder Testing, and odd ball stuff.

Forum Member

Default Question to Cmfireguy

Like you said above, if I have my paramedic license, then the first 8 weeks will be odd jobs. Well what about if I have FF2 already? The director of the TN Fire commssion e-mailed me back and said my FL cert is reciprocal to TN. I still have not had anybody explain to me why certified/experienced FF's go through the fire academy. If I get this job though, I'm not going to complain because I want to get on with KFD. I'm sure I will learn some new things and be reminded of the stuff I forgot. I still have to do my poly, drug and medical exam next week, but that will all be clean.

Forum Member

Default 3rd on the reserve list...

I called the Admin offices this past Monday and she said I'm 3rd on the reserve list. Are my chances pretty good that I'll be contacted?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davesoutside View Post
    I called the Admin offices this past Monday and she said I'm 3rd on the reserve list. Are my chances pretty good that I'll be contacted?

Davesoutside,

Yes, you still have a good chance to get in. Basically your waiting for 3 candidates to drop out of the process.

Simple as that.

Good Luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CNSR58 View Post
    Like you said above, if I have my paramedic license, then the first 8 weeks will be odd jobs. Well what about if I have FF2 already? The director of the TN Fire commssion e-mailed me back and said my FL cert is reciprocal to TN. I still have not had anybody explain to me why certified/experienced FF's go through the fire academy. If I get this job though, I'm not going to complain because I want to get on with KFD. I'm sure I will learn some new things and be reminded of the stuff I forgot. I still have to do my poly, drug and medical exam next week, but that will all be clean.

CNSR58,

First of all let me tell you I feel your pain. I started the Fire Service in 2000 in Charleston, SC. I moved to Knoxville because my wife is from here. I asked the same questions thinking I was too good to go back through another Academy being that I was already medically qualified and have my FF II.

However,
    What you will develop with the other candidates during the Academy is something that you will cherrish for the rest of your career. Also the simple explaniation to that would be that the Fire Department wants to make sure you are going to do things the way they want it done. Granted it may be the same way, but how does the Training Staff Know that unless you go through the Academy. If you have your FFII already the best thing you can do for yourself and for your classmates is to STEP UP and become a leader.

Sorry to be so blunt about it but that is the way it is. The Training Staff will look to you as to someone to "Teach" the candidates. If your certificates do transfer you will not have to take the State Written Exam when the other students do.

Any other Questions feel free to contact me.

Forum Member

Default Academy question cmfireguy

I thought I had read somewhere that after completing the academy you will be tech level hazmat and VMR. Is that true? I think what is going to be the hardest part about going through fire school again is the mon-fri 9-5 or whatever the hours are.

Forum Member

Exclamation Everyone Can Be Replaced...everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by CNSR58 View Post
    To echo CMFireGuy, you will get more out of the academy than just HAVING TO GO. It's more than a requirement and I'll tell you this: if it is a big deal having to go through the academy, there are plenty of other guys who would kill for your spot!

I will tell you this too, a very GOOD way to get a very BAD reputation even BEFORE you start the academy is by coming into it with an attitude like that! The minute you start thinking that you do not have to go through the academy because you are 'more qualified' than the next, trust me, your instructors AND the guys on the job will be there to make sure you know just who you are...not even the rookie yet!

Good luck.

(What's up Medley?)

-KFDEngine6.com
    www.KFDEngine6.com

Forum Member

What's up Bell.

You still playing football?

What do you think about getting a basketball team going??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmfireguy View Post
    What's up Bell.

You still playing football?

What do you think about getting a basketball team going??
    Football, baseball, & hockey.....I'm always up for basketball too.
    www.KFDEngine6.com

Forum Member

Default Response to engine6

Engine6- I apologize for my previous post regarding the academy. I think it was either typed or interpreted wrong. In no way am I complaining, having an attitude or assuming I am too good for it. I realize there are plenty of people that want to be in my shoes, that is why my next line was... I'm not going to complain, I want to work for KFD and I am sure I will learn some new things in the academy. Again I apologize, I just did not understand why the city required people with emt and fire certs to go through the school a second time.

Thread Information