Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoxville?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Ansewers!!!!

hey guys, ansewering your questions--- I recieved certified letter in the mail Friday the 26th of this month. But the postal service first tried to deliver it the 19th. It told me that I was selected to continue through the process and the first step is a mandatory info workshop on Friday the 2nd. I dont know what it is about, but I hear there is a drug test after. To ansewer someone elses question , I am from east Tennessee. I dont know if there is more than one workshop. That would be a question for cmfireguy. I wish you guys luck and hope you get your letter soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CNSR58 View Post
    KFDengine6 I like the website. Do any of the other houses have their own website that you know of? Also, looking at the station staffing... what are the differences with FF/Master/Senior? Is it education, years of service, pay?
    None of the other houses have sites yet...there are a few that are working on getting them up. As far as different ranks go, we have FF (private), Senior FF (Assistant Driver--can ride the back or drive), Master FF (Driver), and Fire Officer (Captain). FF to SFF = 2 years, SFF to MFF = 2 years and MFF to Captain = 2 years. That is assuming that tests are given in that time period and in order. The time table above is just when you are elidgible to test for the next rank. If they offered promotional tests every 2 years for each rank, we would move fairly quick. But, like with anything, if you do well and test well on promotional tests, you will move up...it's like that anywhere.

-www.KFDEngine6.com
    Last edited by KFDEngine6; 11-02-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

Default Zachary615

I was worried too after reading brandon's posting. Nov 2 isn't much notice, so I called and found out that civil service already mailed the letters to the ones who were selected to move on. There could still be hope for you if you call. I found out I was on the alternate list and only need 1 person to fail a portion of the test to continue in the process. They told me that last year they went through all 15 alternates.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandon32251 View Post
    hey guys, ansewering your questions--- I recieved certified letter in the mail Friday the 26th of this month. But the postal service first tried to deliver it the 19th. It told me that I was selected to continue through the process and the first step is a mandatory info workshop on Friday the 2nd. I dont know what it is about, but I hear there is a drug test after. To ansewer someone elses question , I am from east Tennessee. I dont know if there is more than one workshop. That would be a question for cmfireguy. I wish you guys luck and hope you get your letter soon.

Nope, there shouldnt be more than one workshop. This is just to say congrats, give you some information, give you more things to fill out, the formalities basically.

Letters go to the guys that are selected, FIRST. Then, letters go out the rest saying, THANKS FOR YOU INTEREST, PLEASE TRY AGAIN NEXT YEAR. But, the alternate list is a good thing, there are ALWAYS people that do not make it throug the polygraph or the background and most times the alternate list is exhausted as well just to fill the holes left from the ones that fail out of the process.

-www.KFDEngine6.com
    Last edited by KFDEngine6; 11-02-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

Default Info for Out-of-towners

I started sweatin' bullets when I didn't get a letter for this Friday's workshop so I called to see if I needed to be there on Friday if, by chance, there was a possibility that the Post Office was late getting me the letter... She said that the human resource dept. is working on co-ordinating a day that people living far from Knoxville will be able to come and do EVERYTHING in one day (polygraph, urinalysis, etc.) that is IF you're one of the selected candidates. She said that info has yet to be sent and will be shortly. She also said you'll get a letter either way...

Just thought I'd share...

Default davesoutside

So does that mean the out-of-towners still have a chance at a workshop? It's Wed. and still no sign of any letter, even a rejection letter. Same can be said for a buddy of mine who interviewed, nothing yet. Again we are from Memphis so maybe we will get a letter referencing a different workshop. If not there's always next year. Thanks for the info. Please keep me updated on any new news.

Forum Member

Default Out-of-towners still have a chance...

Yhea, I talked to Vikki and she said they're co-ordinating it so if you live out of the area, you'll get a letter asking you to come in and do the workshop thing and all the other things at the same time. Just like when we took the civil service test and physical agilities test on the same day. All the locals had to do it two separate days. I bet because there will be such a LARGE number of people from K-ville, there's not enough time for them to do all the things in one day like they can with us, since we're a select few... And yes, she said you'll get a letter whether you're wanted or not. So I would wait for your letter... and I got the impression that they've yet to send them out because they're trying to figure out how they're going to co-ordinate all the paperwork and tests.

Default davesoutside

Davesoutside- Thanks for the info. Let me know when you get your letter. How far away are you from Knoxville?

Forum Member

Default No problem...

I live in Jacksonville, Florida... raised in Cleveland, Tn. though. The wife grew up in Knoxville, too. We're hoping to be moving back to God's country soon!

Default Move

I know. My wife and I have been wanting to move Knoxville for about 3 years now. Getting this firefighters postion would give us a reason to. I've been trying to get on with Memphis but they are only in need of medics right now and I only have my EMT. Well good luck, and again keep me updated if you hear or receive anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question questions....kfdengine6

I just got back from the info. workshop. It went exactly like you said it would(formalities). One thing that really concerns me is the HR rep. kept saying "if you pass the polygraph". She said that they started w/ 30 people last year and droped 15 during the polygraph. That was the reason for all 15 alternates getting in last year. Like i've said in my previous posts, I told the truth to the best of my ability. I have done some mild drugs and took some money from my parents when I was younger,and stole some road signs, but, thats about it. I did tell them about it in my background packet. What kind of questions do they ask you? Im just curious because it seems like a stretch that the original 15 last year failed and all 15 alternates passed the polygraph. Any heads up would be great. Also I heard that they will ask you "Have you done anything to get you disqualified from the hiring process". What are the asking for because that seems to be a pretty open ended question? Thanks for the ansewers!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up For those still waiting......

Hey guys, When they were handing out the packets to everyone today there were a total of 26 people there, but, there was still alot of packets in the box. I dont know if there were supposed to be more people in the room today or if those packets were for alternates. I am really not sure....but you never know.(if you get what im saying)Good luck guys!

Forum Member

Default Update

Hey guys sorry its been a while since I've been on. There may be another mandatory meeting depending on the need. IF you received a letter for the mandatory meeting, all you have to do is pass the 3 reqirements and your into the Academy. that easy. the polygraph is not to gig you. he will just ask you questions that you submitted on your packet that they had you filled out. Pretty Simple. Just don't LIE. They really don't care what you did prior just tell them. and be honest about it.

If you haven't received a letter yet don't panic quite yet. It just means your on the alternates list, and you will get a letter when your selected to continue or if all of the positions have been filled.

They have slotted for 27 positions into the academy. Any other Questions?? I will be checking on a daily basis from here on.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandon32251 View Post
    I just got back from the info. workshop. It went exactly like you said it would(formalities). One thing that really concerns me is the HR rep. kept saying "if you pass the polygraph". She said that they started w/ 30 people last year and droped 15 during the polygraph. That was the reason for all 15 alternates getting in last year. Like i've said in my previous posts, I told the truth to the best of my ability. I have done some mild drugs and took some money from my parents when I was younger,and stole some road signs, but, thats about it. I did tell them about it in my background packet. What kind of questions do they ask you? Im just curious because it seems like a stretch that the original 15 last year failed and all 15 alternates passed the polygraph. Any heads up would be great. Also I heard that they will ask you "Have you done anything to get you disqualified from the hiring process". What are the asking for because that seems to be a pretty open ended question? Thanks for the ansewers!
    -www.KFDEngine6.com

Tell the truth. They will ask you things both from what you put on your information packet other questions that are not on the packet. For the most part, they have heard it before if you have done it--just tell them about it. Also, last year, they pulled more than 15 alternates because having a group of 45 (30 original and 15 alternates) were not enough to field a class of 30. They kept pulling names until they got 30 qualified people. That's how it happened. And they do ask you open ended questions--just be sure to answer them entirely. Knoxville's polygraph is probably one the most indepth
    around but as long as you answer honestly, you won't have a problem, and that's the type of person KFD is looking for.
    Last edited by KFDEngine6; 11-02-2007 at 11:14 PM.

Forum Member

Default Question:

If I something to add to the questionnaire pertaining to STEALING something, should I and will they give me a chance to? I've stolen stuff when I was a kid and TOTALLY forgot about it... That junk was over 13 years ago! Other than that, I don't really have alot of bad stuff to declare... Should I speak up or no?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thanks....cmfireguy and kfdengine6

Thanks for the ansewers to my questions. I just cant help to be nervous about the rest of the process. I know that my drug test is clean and I just had a background check through the TBI for my medic license. So to be totally honest the only thing I think would hold me back is the polygraph. I know I shouldnt stress but, It stinks to be so close but still so far away. Also davesoutside post about the background packet, there are a few things that have changed from my original packet....(example: I was not married at the time of the last packet and now I am..... and on the last packet I had no other apps. in with other departments and now I do just in case this job doesnt work out I will have something to fall back on.) Will they give me a chance to change these or not. I really want this job, and dont want to let this oppurtunity for me or any others that are working towards KFD to slip through our fingers just because of what a computer says. I know they want the truth and that is important but its hard to swallow that you can pass this whole process and jump through the hoops they make you and a few words at the wrong time can keep you from getting hired.

Forum Member

What will happen is when you go to the Police Department for your Polygraph. He will make you fill out another questionaire exactly like the one you have to turn in. At the end of it there will be a place for you to add something if you forgot it. BUT, BE AWARE. The Examiner will have a hay day and question why you left it out and all that stuff. Just tell the truth. As you can tell very few people make it through the polygraph. It is a very tough and stressful plolygraph. He had me in the Room for 3 hours. there are camera's in each corner of that room. He will leave the room and tell you he has been paged downstairs. but I really think he just goes into the next room and watches you on the camera. Just teasing. I am not sure what he does. Just be prepaired to be there a while.

Anyway. Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Question??

Yesterday I met a fireman whose been w/ knoxville for 5 years. When he took his polygraph his results said that he did not pass. He was then turned over to a appeal board for review, where he explained the ansewers they failed him on. He ended up getting hired. How often does the appeal board reverse your failing status? Also when he took his poly he said he was only there for about an hour, but someone posted that they were there for like 3, so wich is the better time frame for being there? One last thing in earlier posts cmfireguy you said that they ask you questions from your packet, and, kfdengine6 said they ask you some that are on the packet and some that are not, please if you dont care clarify that. Once again, Thanks!!

Forum Member

When does the rest of the testing take place? Just curious if/when I will get called as an alternate. Did they give an estimated starting date at the info workshop?

Forum Member

Default My previous post

I got the answer to my previous post today when the city called me and asked me to come to an info workshop and continue the testing process. I don't know when I go because they left a message on my phone that I got too late, so I have to call Friday morning for details.

Thread Information