• IAFF

5 10.42%
  • IAFC

1 2.08%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-factors

Default Non-factors

What organization do you believe has been the biggest non-factor in the fire service?
    I'm going with the NVFC.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    What organization do you believe has been the biggest non-factor in the fire service?
    I'm going with the NVFC.
    Are you serious? You don't have a clue.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Ditto that! (to SPFDRum's post!)
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-14-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Brother SPFDRum...

I fear this topic will get ugly...and be divided along career and volly lines. Meaning once again my multiple personalities will come into play.

then perhaps or maybe but no I think I will sit this one out and just

Have a nice day!

FyredUp

Hey I am going to try and give you a call later tonight.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post I Dunno...........

Personal Opinion: I think a lot of people will jump on the Bandwagon and say NVFC. I understand that the NVFC has little to no money, compared to the IAFF, NFPA and IAFC, but it still seems to me that the NVFC is a Private Club type of operation.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Banned

Not this BS again. Haven't we beat the paid vs vollie thing to death yet.

Why can't we all just get along? Why can't we work together?

Are you serious? You don't have a clue.
    Yes I'm serious. I can guarantee I didn't post it for you to get you undies in a bunch. Yes, I have been a vollie firefighter on a fairly busy department,-on add- and this department had an arsonist that burned down our Fireman's Hall. So maybe I do have a clue.
    FyredUp my friend, yes it may get ugly, and I hope it doesn't fall into the vollie/career abyss. But the the failure to address the arson topic is so obvious it's painful.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 06-14-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Personal Opinion: I think a lot of people will jump on the Bandwagon and say NVFC. I understand that the NVFC has little to no money, compared to the IAFF, NFPA and IAFC, but it still seems to me that the NVFC is a Private Club type of operation.
    I asked this question in the other thread...

Didn't we learn a few years ago that the NVFC was actually an organization that was formed by and controlled by a large tobacco company? Also, didn't we go to war with them on here and then drove their rep out of town (so to speak)?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I asked this question in the other thread...

Didn't we learn a few years ago that the NVFC was actually an organization that was formed by and controlled by a large tobacco company? Also, didn't we go to war with them on here and then drove their rep out of town (so to speak)?
    As Arte Johnson from Rowan and Martin's Laugh In would say...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Yes I'm serious. I can guarantee I didn't post it for you to get you undies in a bunch. Yes, I have been a vollie firefighter on a fairly busy department,-on add- and this department had an arsonist that burned down our Fireman's Hall. So maybe I do have a clue.
    FyredUp my friend, yes it may get ugly, and I hope it doesn't fall into the vollie/career abyss. But the the failure to address the arson topic is so obvious it's painful.
    You lost me here sunshine. How does the most ineffective organization have anything to do with arson????

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    You lost me here sunshine. How does the most ineffective organization have anything to do with arson????
    The NVFC refuses to recognize the volunteer arson problem.. their 800 pound gorilla in the room.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

You know many arsonists have been career firefighters too, even the more famous......it's not just a vollie thing. Some people forget that.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    You know many arsonists have been career firefighters too, even the more famous......it's not just a vollie thing. Some people forget that.
    Bingo! And some "career" firefighters forget that they started out as volunteer firefighters once they start getting a paycheck.

And have any of you heard of Fire Corps and the Heart-Healthy Firefighter program? Both fall under the NVFC.

I just don't get the point to this thread, especially since all four organizations are vastly different and all of them work together!
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    As Arte Johnson from Rowan and Martin's Laugh In would say...
    Hey Cap.. one of us is showing his age. Either you for mentioning Arte Johnson and Rowan and Martin, or me for KNOWING who they are....?????

As for the point of the topic at hand, hopefully it wont go down to the "abyss", but I also agree: not really sure what the point is.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

NVFC. Simple question, what have they done this year?

and why is it that volunteers (of which I am one) are the first to bring up the paid/vollie thing?

It's a poll. Answer the question or not. It's that simple.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

While I agree with Bones that the point of the thread is to answer the question, I have to ask a question too.

How many of you folks actually receive regular correspondence from any or all of the mentioned organizations?

Through Fairfax County Fire Dept, I get fairly regular inputs from the NVFC, of which I usually share somewhere in the forums here. I was receiving regular email and magazine notifiers from NFPA until my subscription ran out during the spring. Not being a career geek, (no insult intended - I'm an ARMY geek) of course I will not receive msgs from the IAFF. And of course I am not a Chief, so that answers the last one too.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Really? Almost all of the firefighter arson arrest stories you see here on Firehouse.com have the person's name and "member of the "anytown Volunteer Fire Department"
    Check out the Firefighters and Arson thread, check out the "box score" I started, you will see the light... You may need to wear shades from the glare of that spotlight!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    While I agree with Bones that the point of the thread is to answer the question, I have to ask a question too.

How many of you folks actually receive regular correspondence from any or all of the mentioned organizations?

Through Fairfax County Fire Dept, I get fairly regular inputs from the NVFC, of which I usually share somewhere in the forums here. I was receiving regular email and magazine notifiers from NFPA until my subscription ran out during the spring. Not being a career geek, (no insult intended - I'm an ARMY geek) of course I will not receive msgs from the IAFF. And of course I am not a Chief, so that answers the last one too.
    Right, the point is to answer the question, but what does NFPA have to do with the other 3? The IAFC, IAFF, and NVFC work with/for firefighters, paid, volunteer, combo, whatever. NFPA works with guidelines. You really can't have NFPA in there.

And if one just takes a look at the NVFC website, you will see what they have done this year. Between the NVFC, Fire Corps, and Heart-Healthy FF, I get a decent amount of e-mail that is worth reading and forwarding. I would also suggest adding yourself to the CFSI e-list if you haven't already.

As I mentioned before, all the fire groups noted in the poll work together along with all the others that are too many to name. You can't knock one without knocking them all.

Imagine if we all worked together for a common cause or causes (firefighter funding, firefighter safety, fire prevention, LODD prevention, etc.) instead of pinning groups and peopel against each other?!? I suppose one can dream.

Forum Member

The answer to the poll question, as asked:

The NVFC is the least effective at accomplishing its stated mission. Easily.

That said, I think the stated mission of the NVFC may be the most ambitious.

As for what was apparently a subtext of this thread, "volunteer arson" has nothing at all to do with the effectiveness or lack thereof of the NVFC.

There have been many, many instances of career firefighters committing arson (ever heard of John Orr, or Fredrick Williams?), but in the recent past, career guys seem to have concentrated their efforts on sexual offenses.
    Last edited by randsc; 06-15-2007 at 10:49 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    The answer to the poll question, as asked:

The NVFC is the least effective at accomplishing its stated mission. Easily.

That said, I think the stated mission of the NVFC may be the most ambitious.

As for what was apparently a subtext of this thread, "volunteer arson" has nothing at all to do with the effectiveness or lack thereof of the NVFC.

There have been many, many instances of career firefighters committing arson (ever heard of John Orr, or Fredrick Williams?), but in the recent past, career guys seem to have concentrated their efforts on sexual offenses.
    Two people hardly amount to "many".

Do you have stats to back up your contention re: sexual offenses? Or are you just talking out of your butt?

Thread Information