Forum Member

Default HME / Ahrens Fox RK Aerial

Alright....I'm a long time post reader but this is my first post. So here it goes. Our department is currently looking at replacing our 100ft staight stick with a 100ft tower ladder. So far HME Ahrens/Fox w/ an RK platform have come in as the lowest. They are offering nummerous options / add ons that other MFGs were nickle and diming us to death with. Any Experiences or information on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Permanently Removed

HME makes a fine chassis. What you put on top of it is what is really going to make the difference though. Sometimes one needs to read specs very closely for compliance and look at fit, finish and overall quality. Sometimes low bid is competitive but sometimes there is more to it than meets the eye with the lowest bid and apparent free throw-ins. TL

Forum Member

My department has RK 75' sticks and RK 104' platforms. While their straight sticks perform well, I am less than impressed with their platforms.

The platforms have four section aerials. The last section is very narrow and the rails aren't that tall. Therefore, that last section isn't as stiff as many of their competitors. This allows the bucket to bounce around like mad. So you might want to spec a dramamine dispenser in the bucket.

If you are looking for a "stable" platform at height I wouldn't recommend RK.

We have also had a range of nuisance maintenance issues with the platforms and much of the time one of the 3 is out of service for one reason or another. But, IMO the 75' sticks have been performing great and would not discourage anybody from looking at them for a straight stick.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

My suggestion would be to demo one and form your own opinion.There are things that you have to see for yourself and everyone has an opinion on what makes a great aerial device,Get a demo and try it. T.C.

Forum Member

It's awful hard to beat a LTI platform

Forum Member

It's even harder to beat an Aerialscope!

Indestructible!!!

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post
    It's even harder to beat an Aerialscope!

Indestructible!!!
    I love our old Mack/Baker 75' Aerialscope, but what fire department can afford a new 95' SCOPE costing $ 950,000 & up !...

Forum Member

True, the best is usually more expensive.

'Tis the strongest aerial in the industry.

Forum Member

cwolf731-

Have you guys looked at Toyne at all? They will build on Spartan or HME chassis, and use RK aerials. Check this link for a new aerial for Carroll, Iowa- a 100 bucket with a 1500GPM pump and 300 gal of water, on a fairly short twin-screw chassis.......very very nice piece which I got to see in person.

http://www.toyne.com/delivery.asp?na...veries&did=114

Also, send an email (myfyrtrks@aol.com) or PM myfyrtrks here, he is an HME salesman, can answer your HME questions.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    cwolf731-

Have you guys looked at Toyne at all? They will build on Spartan or HME chassis, and use RK aerials. Check this link for a new aerial for Carroll, Iowa- a 100 bucket with a 1500GPM pump and 300 gal of water, on a fairly short twin-screw chassis.......very very nice piece which I got to see in person.

http://www.toyne.com/delivery.asp?na...veries&did=114

Also, send an email (myfyrtrks@aol.com) or PM myfyrtrks here, he is an HME salesman, can answer your HME questions.
    That is the same rear mount tower ladder that ( RK Aerials ) sells to ( Seagrave ) for build up on there chassis. A lot of companys use RK Aerial products !...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 10-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.

Thread Information