Thread: Interesting?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Interesting?

I caught a very little bit of this on the news this morning - only enough to know there was a "problem" with a patient, somewhere. But this is....

911 Call: Ignored Woman Dies On ER Floor
    Chief Medical Officer Ousted In MLK Emergency Room Death Aftermath

POSTED: 12:14 pm EDT June 14, 2007

LOS ANGELES -- Family members of a woman who died after she lay bleeding on the emergency room floor of Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital said that the hospital could and should have saved the woman's life.

Edith Isabel Rodriguez, 43, died of a perforated bowel on May 9 at Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital. Her death was ruled accidental by the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

Relatives said she was bleeding from the mouth and writhing in pain for 45 minutes. Experts have said Rodriguez could have survived had she been treated early enough. The head of the county's Department of Health Services, which oversees the facility, has called her death "inexcusable."

"I'm more than angry. I'm shocked not thinking that a hospital can actually do this to a person," said the victim's sister, Columba Avena.

"They treated her like she was a nobody just like an animal and waiting there to die," said brother Javier Sanchez.

County officials said Rodriguez's last minutes were caught on tape by a hospital security camera, but officials are refusing to release that video.

"A dozen people were in the room and nobody got up to help. The janitors came over to help clean the vomit of the victim. They did a diligent job cleaning up the vomit, but they didn't take one look at her. It's a complete moral human breakdown that I cannot understand," said L.A. County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky.

On Tuesday, the Los Angeles Times' Web site posted audio from two 911 calls that were released by the county Sheriff's Department under the newspaper's California Public Records Act request.

In them, callers pleaded for help but were referred to hospital staff instead.

A call to a sheriff's spokesman seeking comment was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Rodriguez's boyfriend, Jose Prado, used a pay phone outside the hospital to call 911 at 1:43 a.m.

"I'm in the emergency room. My wife is dying and the nurses don't want to help her out," he said in Spanish through an interpreter.

"What's wrong with her?" a dispatcher asked.

"She's vomiting blood," Prado said.

"OK, and why aren't they helping her?" the dispatcher asked.

"They're watching her there and they're not doing anything. They're just watching her," Prado said.

The dispatcher told the man to contact a doctor and then said paramedics wouldn't pick up his wife because she already was in a hospital. Later, she told Prado to contact county police officers at a security desk.

A second 911 call was placed eight minutes later by a woman bystander who requested that an ambulance be sent to take Rodriguez to some other hospital for care.

"She's definitely sick and there's a guy that's ignoring her," the woman told a different dispatcher.

During the brief call, the dispatcher argued with the woman over whether there really was an emergency.

"I cannot do anything for you for the quality of the hospital. ... It is not an emergency. It is not an emergency ma'am," he said.

"You're not here to see how they're treating her," the woman replied.

The dispatcher refused to call paramedics and told the woman that she should contact hospital supervisors "and let them know" if she is unhappy.

"May God strike you too for acting the way you just acted," the woman said finally.

"No, negative ma'am, you're the one," he said.

The chief medical officer at the hospital has been replaced as part of the investigation.

The reported ouster of Dr. Roger Peeks comes as the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors grapples with recent federal findings that the hospital continues to endanger patients, raising the possibility that it may have to close down.

The ouster follows a finding last week by the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services that determined emergency room patients had been placed in "immediate jeopardy" of harm or death.

Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital was formerly known as Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center. The name was changed as part of a reorganization after years of problems including patient deaths blamed on sloppy nursing care and hospital mismanagement that has threatened its federal funding.

The ousted chief medical officer Peeks, brought in three years ago to help overhaul medical operations at the long-troubled facility, was placed on "ordered absence" Tuesday, but health officials decline to elaborate on the action, calling it a confidential personnel matter, the Los Angeles Times reported.

County officials named Dr. Robert Splawn, chief medical officer for the health department, as interim chief medical officer at King-Harbor, according to The Times.

County supervisors Wednesday bluntly discussed preparations for a possible closure of the public facility in Willowbrook.

They directed health officials to return in one week with an update on all the state and federal inspections the hospital has undergone. County supervisors also want health officials to submit a report on what will happen if federal regulators shut down the hospital.

Last week, the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services determined emergency room patients had been placed in "immediate jeopardy" of harm or death.

That finding was made following an LA Weekly story that detailed how Juan Ponce, a man with a brain tumor, waited four days in MLK-Harbor's emergency room when he needed to be transferred to another hospital for life- saving brain surgery.

CMS also separately determined the hospital violated the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act in the case of ER patient Rodriguez.

Once county health officials receive an official letter from CMS administrators, which is expected this week, they will have 23 days to fix problems at the hospital or risk losing federal reimbursements. Federal inspectors are expected to make their follow-up visit in mid-July.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

AND of course this is a media report, so ....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssstt.....over here
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=91503
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssstt.....over here
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=91503
    Ooopsss.. Thanks Dennis. I'm a little slow today... getting ready to go on a weeks leave starting at 11:00 today WWWOOOOHHHOOO

Going to Ocean City for a few days starting Monday.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ooopsss.. Thanks Dennis. I'm a little slow today... getting ready to go on a weeks leave starting at 11:00 today WWWOOOOHHHOOO

Going to Ocean City for a few days starting Monday.
    I will be house hunting in Dewey/Rehoboth this weekend, hopefully will have the family beach house by the end of the year. Have fun at the beach, don't get any presents from MD's Finest on Rt. 50
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information