Forum Member

Post ***Neck Burns***

I would like to know if there are any reported firefighter injuries that were a result of the protective coat failure. Specifically if there were any burns to the neck involving gear manufactured by Securitex/Stx Protective Apparel. The bunker gear style has no neck/throat flap just a collar with velcro.
    Last edited by Paul908; 06-16-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul908 View Post
    I would like to know if there are any reported firefighter injuries that were a result of the protective coat failure. Specifically if there were any burns to the neck involving gear manufactured by Securitex/Stx Protective Apparel. The bunker gear style has no neck/throat flap just a collar with velcro.
    Doesn't your nomex hood cover your neck?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have Securitex gear and as shi**y of gear it is ours has the flap you're talking about. And as xNinjaDolphinx says wear your hood.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xNinjaDolphinx View Post
    Doesn't your nomex hood cover your neck?
    Yes it does, the collar however is non-adjustable and acts like a funnel.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wear securitex, and have not had any issues with neck burns, getting hot, or water down my back, nor have I heard any complaints from the rest of the people in my crew who wear it.

Ours is Kevlar, however, and I don't like the durability of it, or lack of.

Forum Member

When we stop using fog streams for interior attack, the amount of steam burn injuries like these will dissappear. A message to you from the the Committee of Common sense urging you to bury the killer fog.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Forum Member

What does a fog pattern and water running down a collar have in common?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    What does a fog pattern and water running down a collar have in common?

They will both bring you to your knees! K.I.S.S. bring the ft-2 tip out for AFTER the fire. Smooth bore will prevent stupidity from burning the first hoseline team!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

jonnyirons2...

A combo nozzle is no more responsible for a steam burn than an axe is responsible for hitting someone in the head without someone operating it.

Training, training, training is the iissue. Our primary nozzle is a 200 at 75 combo nozzle and we train on only using the straight stream for interior fire attack. Guess what? No steam burns caused by use of fog inside of a structure. None.

The combo nozzle is just a tool and like any other tool it is the craftsman using it that determines the outcome of its usage.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Y'know how sometimes we see a new poster asking a leading question and go, "Reporter Alert! Reporter Alert!"?

Well, if ever I saw a post from a lawyer trying to scare up a class for a tort case, this is it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    Y'know how sometimes we see a new poster asking a leading question and go, "Reporter Alert! Reporter Alert!"?

Well, if ever I saw a post from a lawyer trying to scare up a class for a tort case, this is it.
    You know, I really had never thought about either of those until you said that.....I'll be on the look out more now.

Good eye!

Forum Member

Default Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post

No lawyer here just a guy with 2nd Degree burns to his neck.

Truckie

Smooth bore will prevent stupidity from burning the first hoseline team!
    Or training in the equipment you have, try it, it's all the rage. Not saying that's what happened to Paul908.
    Believe it or not, though what I'm about to say may be blasphemous, many fire departments around the United States manage to put out fires and keep there city from burning down with out smooth bores.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

No lawyer here just a guy with 2nd Degree burns to his neck.
    As asked before did you have your hood on?

Forum Member

Yes my hood was on full PPE

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought (which I hate to do) all structure firefighting gear had to have the collar and throat strap, NFPA thing. The stuff you are wearing would not happen to be a USAR type gear would it? Not sure what model of Securi-junk we had but it was horrible. I would not have given it to my worst enemy to use as a grease rag. A year or so ago there was a thread talking about Securitex and a lawsuit I believe.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

It looks hot in there

search securitex, you'll get the results your after.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    As asked before did you have your hood on?
    Hood on, collar up, earflaps down, zipper closed, whatever. Conventional turnout gear is not a proximity suit. It doesn't matter what you're wearing if it's limits are exceded, whether intentional or conditions suddenly turn crappy, you can get burned.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Hood on, collar up, earflaps down, zipper closed, whatever. Conventional turnout gear is not a proximity suit. It doesn't matter what you're wearing if it's limits are exceded, whether intentional or conditions suddenly turn crappy, you can get burned.
    I understand that! I've been there before. Seems like this person needs to explain more of what happened. I am glad though that he is ok!

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe his chin was in his chest as he was crawling allowing hot water to get on his neck. I've had that happen. Keep chin up and water will be deflected by helmet brim. Just a thought.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSHANK42 View Post
    Maybe his chin was in his chest as he was crawling allowing hot water to get on his neck. I've had that happen. Keep chin up and water will be deflected by helmet brim. Just a thought.
    No I was operating below an attic fire standing on my feet. The collar does not have a throat strap just a velco closure that completes the collar. It does not have any adjustment. When you wear the coat with your ear flaps down, the flaps end up on the inside of your collar. As a result of this combination a firefighter can end up with debris inside the collar.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of ours have enough velcro on the throat flap and collar to allow for proper adjustment and fit.

MembersZone Subscriber

So where you steam burnt, water burnt, radiant heat, debris burnt or what? I saw where you were under an attic fire.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

MembersZone Subscriber

What size ear flaps would be needed to fit over the collar? I believe all ear flaps fit inside the collar, and the helmet brim should keep stuff off your neck, unless you are looking down at the time. I am not trying to point fingers or anything, just an observation.

As far as Securicrap goes, our last turn out bid went to them, and NO ONE liked it. I have worn all sorts of gear throughout the years, (Cairns, Janesville, Globe) and by far Globe is the best in my opinion.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Here is one for you to look at...
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...Id=10&id=27650
    I just got a new coat back in Jan. and it has no problems with the collar. It actually has the DRD in the back neck and the collar on the front has velcro on both sides and a flap on the zipper that attaches to both sides of the collar. So mine at least has some prety good neck coverage. The only down side is that it can get annoying when you not on a fire wearing it cause it is always sticking up, but I'd rather be safe and burn free so I won't complain. Some of our guys have still had some color changes and minor burns thru the gear and our guys avg 2-3 a day for structures so the gear gets a workout here in Flint.

Thread Information