Forum Member

Default Durham DA Disbarred

In case anyone has been living in a shell today (as I should have been) Durham County (NC) District Attorney Mike Nifong is to be disbarred from the North Carolina Bar over the Duke LaCrosse case.

Living in Durham, I will just say that this guy should have saved time and money a long time ago. The LaCrosse player's attorneys are to seek criminal charges next week...........

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19264396/

http://www.newsobserver.com/
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 06-16-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    The LaCrosse player's attorneys are to seek criminal charges next week...........
    I hope they get them. What a POS.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I'm glad it is finally being dealt with.

The sad thing here is that it is not Really Nifong who will bear the ultimate burden. He just has to find a new job. It is the future legitimate cases of rape that will be that much harder to prove because of this whole fiasco. Public cynicism does not always fade quickly.

At least it might serve as a warning to the other aspiring lawyers who choose to sleep through ethics class.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Nifong's name is mud in North Carolina. He will be a Pariah.

He will lose his law license. The trial court judge who had the original case still retains jurisdiction adn can still file his own charges and mete out his own punishment.

And this is not some political hackarama like in other places. He will be in the news again. And he will write VERY LARGE CHECKS.

Lawyers will learn from this too.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

MembersZone Subscriber

After having worked in a prosecutor's office for 20 years, I came to realize that it is an awesome responsibility to have the power to deprive someone of their liberty and to essentially destroy a person's life. This is a responsibility that I never took lightly. I was never asked by a prosecutor to do anything untoward and I was never a witness to prosecutorial misconduct. However, it clearly happened in this case. This case will be used for years to educate prosecutors in what not to do.

The prosecutors I know would be totally repulsed by this behavior.

There is another interesting point. In NJ, Prosecutors (our equivalent to a DA or State's Attorney) are appointed by the Governor and approved by the legislature. They are not elected. I would argue that the behavior of Wifong was motivated solely by his desire to get re-elected and not for any crusdade for justice.

Forum Member

And this is not some political hackarama like in other places. He will be in the news again. And he will write VERY LARGE CHECKS.
    As well he should. One of the players I saw interviewed realized how fortunate he was to be an individual of means and resources. He was pretty pragmatic in his statements that he realized he would be facing jail time had he not been from an affluent family. I thought that should quite a bit of insight.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    As well he should. One of the players I saw interviewed realized how fortunate he was to be an individual of means and resources. He was pretty pragmatic in his statements that he realized he would be facing jail time had he not been from an affluent family. I thought that should quite a bit of insight.
    Quite true.

But consider the sheer number of overturned convictions where people spent years, if not decades, incarcerated only to be exhonerated by DNA or other means.

I suspect that prosecutorial misconduct may become a buzzword soon. What really p!sses me off is that the DOJ has not had any civil rights violations investigations brought into this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quite true.

But consider the sheer number of overturned convictions where people spent years, if not decades, incarcerated only to be exhonerated by DNA or other means.

I suspect that prosecutorial misconduct may become a buzzword soon. What really p!sses me off is that the DOJ has not had any civil rights violations investigations brought into this.
    An overturned conviction does not mean prosecutorial misconduct occurred. It is unfair to state that just because a person's conviction is overturned that some dastardly deed occurred.

IACOJ BOD

Just as it is to assume that they are innocent due to the overturning.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    An overturned conviction does not mean prosecutorial misconduct occurred. It is unfair to state that just because a person's conviction is overturned that some dastardly deed occurred.
    That's easy to say when you've never been unjustly convicted and incarcerated.

IACOJ BOD

Methinks George is talking about the prosecution doing illegal or immoral actions during the trial.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Not unfair. There has been a tremendous amount of these sorts of situations occurring in the past 5 years.

I am just stating that their may be more investigations into this. I highly doubt that it is not exactly an isolated incident.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Just as it is to assume that they are innocent due to the overturning.
    We are not talking about overturning a conviction based on some legal technicality here.

Forum Member

Thank god. I'm so tired of hearing about this case on the news by now. Finally, everyone can start thinking about moving on with life.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

He's fixing to find out what it's like to be raped by the justice system. I just hope the following legal proceedings are carried out correctly so he can't get out of his punishment.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Not unfair. There has been a tremendous amount of these sorts of situations occurring in the past 5 years.

I am just stating that their may be more investigations into this. I highly doubt that it is not exactly an isolated incident.
    It would be naive to think that prosecutorial misconduct does not occur. But, in my experience, it is extremely isolated. Remember, what you are talking about is a calculated, willful action to control and manipulate evidence and testimony in order to wrongly convict someone. That is a pretty high standard.

The overwhelming majority of cases that are overturned are NOT cases like the above. Those cases usually involve mistakes. Mistakes by a cop, a prosecutor, a defense attorney, a judge or combinations thereof.

No one should spend a second in jail for a crime they did not commit. But there is not a massive conspiracy in prosecutors offices to take innocent people off the street and put them in jail.

BTW, do you know how many incarcerated people did not do the crime they are in for? ALL of them. Just ask them.

Banned

However, in this case the DA witheld DNA evidence that cleared the men in question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Thank god. I'm so tired of hearing about this case on the news by now. Finally, everyone can start thinking about moving on with life.
    It will be around for a very long time. Between criminal and civil charges there is at least another year out of this.

Forum Member

Their affluent family's were able to provide the truth to the world, but a year ago it was that affluance that made them a target of many. The lottery of life is strange sometimes.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Banned

It will be around for a very long time. Between criminal and civil charges there is at least another year out of this.
    It will probably outlive that obnoxious useless Hilton thing. Get real, does anyone really care that the fool is going to jail???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Their affluent family's were able to provide the truth to the world, but a year ago it was that affluance that made them a target of many. The lottery of life is strange sometimes.
    No more ironic than the plight of Paris Hilton. She's finding out first hand that being a media hound can be a two edged sword.

Forum Member

Well, it seems that Duke has settled with these three gentlemen. I suspect that the Alumni Association will be hitting me up for money to help replenish the endowment and pay for the increased insurance costs.

Nifong is also set to step down July 13. The Governor (who originally appointed him to the position) has publicly stated that he should step down immediately.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1510319/

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/cri...ry/608283.html

Forum Member

Haha, a year? You underestimate the skill of attorneys.

This brings to mind a joke I read about a budding attorney joining his father's law firm and on the first day jumping for joy yelling 'DAD! DAD! I closed the Smith account!!' at which point his father yells 'You imbecile! I could have dragged that out another 10 years! Now what am I going to do for a nest egg!?'

Either way what the DA did was immoral, unjust, and just downright WRONG. I hope he gets some jail time.

Forum Member

Now they are piling on.

Not that I feel sorry for him.

Disbarred Duke D.A. stripped of badge

Forum Member

Now they are piling on.

Not that I feel sorry for him.

Disbarred Duke D.A. stripped of badge
    You have no idea what this has done around here. The legislature is fuming over him staying another month. He has embarrassed lawyers (most legislators being lawyers) and made a mockery of North Carolina. These folks are a bit peeved. They have waited a long time to have this case settled one way or the other, and they want to put it behind them and move on.

I feel sorry for him only in the manner that he allowed his own personal ambition to cloud his judgement. It happens to us all, but three students and one coach paid dearly for this. Let alone the reputation of Duke University, the State of North Carolina, and more importantly......The credibility of the Durham Police Department and the Durham County District Attorney's office.

I can guarantee you that Mike Easley (the Governor) will bend over backwards to find the finest, most intellecual, well-healed person to take over the office until the next election.

Thread Information