Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default LEPCs-Help needed please

Is anyone familiar with the LEPC for their area that could answer some questions for me? I have not had any luck with finding any information for the LEPC for this region. We have to interview the country head of the LEPC. I have a paper that is due shortly and I would greatly appreciate some help as I am currently banging my head against a brick. My textbooks provide very little information and the OES site for California is not much help either.

Here are a few of the types of questions I have:

Has the LEPC written and implemented a Hazardous Materials response plan?
    If so, when was it written?
    Who was involved in the writing of it?
    When the plan was last exercised?

There are more questions but I wanted to give you an idea of what kind of information I am looking for.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you are wiling to let me interview you, let me know. It would be via email (or maybe posting here!).

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I have chaired the LEPC here for the last 5 years. My experience is that many LEPCs exist on paper only.

Our LEPC wrote to original haz-mat plan in 1987. It stayed on various bookshelves and was never exercised. The last re-write occurred in 2000.

The original LEPC had over 20 members representing all local response agencies, the school system, town administration, and members of the public. We now have nine active members who come from local agencies, the regional health district, and town citizens.

We changed the role of the LEPC in 2004 and became the emergency management advisory council for the town. One of our functions is to receive the Tier II reports and act as the LEPC. We combined the haz-mat plan and the local emergency operations plan into a comprehensive emergency plan. I could not see the reason to have two separate emergency plans, one for haz-mat at certain facilities and another for anything else that could happen.

We are currently using parts of the EOP for major events. We just ran a functional exercise involving opening and using an emergency operations center with eight other towns last week.

Our plan is not a detailed as EPA requires, mostly because it is not practical. For example, the most common EHS in town is sulphuric acid in fork lift batteries. We do not have evacuation routes and notification processes in place in case a battery ruptures and spills 5 gallons of acid on a floor.

E-mail me if you would like more information.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 06-18-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can only speak for Kansas, but Ken is EVER so correct when he says some exist in name only. My former residence was a small county, and the LEPC was very active and we actually had exersizes. In my current MUCH larger community, I don't think we even have one.

Usually, the county or city emergency management director will have names for LEPC members. Depending on your area, it may be a very boring interview!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile thanks guys

Ken- you've got email. Thank you for your response.

tiredoldman-I think ours must be one of those that exists on someone's
    post- it somewhere as I can't find anything about it beyond the fact that the LEPC for this area is regional.

Ok, call me ignant....LEPC?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones:

Local Emergency Plannning Committee

A requirement from the Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know regulations.

Towns must plan for hazardous materials incidents. Companies using or storing chemicals above a certain quantity must report to the LEPC.

LEPC information
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Oh. We refer to it as our HazMat response plan.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the LEPC for their area that could answer some questions for me? I have not had any luck with finding any information for the LEPC for this region. We have to interview the country head of the LEPC. I have a paper that is due shortly and I would greatly appreciate some help as I am currently banging my head against a brick. My textbooks provide very little information and the OES site for California is not much help either.

Here are a few of the types of questions I have:

Has the LEPC written and implemented a Hazardous Materials response plan?
    If so, when was it written?
    Who was involved in the writing of it?
    When the plan was last exercised?

There are more questions but I wanted to give you an idea of what kind of information I am looking for.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you are wiling to let me interview you, let me know. It would be via email (or maybe posting here!).

Thanks
    I know the LEPC person from our county very well and will ask him if he inds talking to you. PM me if you want and we will go from there.

Thread Information