Thread: Leather

Forum Member

Default Leather

I am desperately looking for a leather helmet, and I am wondering what the difference is between a Phenix leather, and a New Yorker? Any help is appreciated. I'm leaning to the New Yorker as my partner has one.

Forum Member

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...met+pic+thread

I have had both. I currently have a Phenix and love it!

The last few pages of the thread above have several TL-2s and good info about them.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Thanks for the assistance.
    Firefighter II/EMT-Intermediate, ECFR, NC

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but who we know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice."
    Chief Edward F. Crocker, FDNY

Member IACOJ

Forum Member

What are the price differences between the two?

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but who we know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice."

Member IACOJ

Forum Member

Phenix TL-2...$429 with Bourkes and a shield made to your order.

Cairns N5A...$450 plus the cost of a shield.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Great, thanks for the info. I believe that I am going to go with the N5A Natural. I don't like the idea of spending that much money, and my paint chipping off, plus I wear a different color helmet at one of the department's I work with. That should solve that issue. My partner at my FT FD has a N5A, and I really like it.

Member IACOJ

Forum Member

You'll be very happy with it.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I recently bought a Cairns N6A Deluxe model ( ESS goggles, Bourkes, and carved eagle) from The Fire Store and it was $599.99 shipped. The N5A and N6A are identical externally; the only diff being I believe the N6A has an extra lexan dome over the impact cap to satisfy NFPA. The Fire Store are great to deal with if you're going to go with Cairns, they have them in stock, and shipping is fast.

Forum Member

I am going to purchase the lid through thefirestore.com as one of my departments has payroll deduction to order things through them.

Member IACOJ

Forum Member

Exclamation

Oh yeah?

One brand CARINS!!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

New Yorker- Heavy/ for looks
    Cairns-PERFECT

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

alpha, the New Yorker is made by Cairns...
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDjr1 View Post
    alpha, the New Yorker is made by Cairns...
    oops. i meant the 660c.

so what i meant to say,

new yorker-heavy/ for looks.
    cairns 660c-perfect

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by alpha4 View Post
    oops. i meant the 660c.

so what i meant to say,

new yorker-heavy/ for looks.
    cairns 660c-perfect
    *pimp slaps alpha*

Oh, I know you just didn't go there.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I have used the N5A, old style, and the new and improved? N6A.

I would take the old N5A hands down over the N6A, mostly due to weight. The difference with the new N5A and N6A is negligible.

Personally I wouldn't lay that kind of money out for a leather helmet. Buy a traditional look alike from Cairns or Morning Pride or Paul Conway or Chieftan or anyone and save yourself about 200 bucks.

Sorry leather heads, almost $500 is too much for a helmet. Besides if you buy a look alike you still have enough money left to buy a pair of leather boots!!

FyredUp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Sorry leather heads, almost $500 is too much for a helmet. Besides if you buy a look alike you still have enough money left to buy a pair of leather boots!!

FyredUp
    Or you can be in a department that issues leather boots, thus leaving you the money to buy a leather lid .

Forum Member

Look for an old Cairns N5a on Ebay, get it refurbed by Chris at Signal50.com I have an n5a made in 2001 and its a big difference from my N5's that I have from the late 70's and early 80's. I believe 1992 models to be the best looking.

Forum Member

Okay, prepare for a dose of blasphemy.

Someone please explain to me why a leather helmet at more than twice the cost is better than a look a like composite helmet.

No hype, no tradition, no because it's cool...facts on what makes it better. I am dead dog serious about this.

FyredUp

Forum Member

I guess it just depends on your likes and dislikes. I would have never been able to afford a leather with a young family. But mine was a gift from my Mother, Wife and Uncles. Both of my uncles are on the "job" and my grandfather was also. It has always been a family tradition in my family that if you pass the academy you get a leather helmet as a graduation gift. I agree with an above post the leather boots are so worth it though.

Forum Member

Someone please explain to me why a leather helmet at more than twice the cost is better than a look a like composite helmet.

No hype, no tradition, no because it's cool...facts on what makes it better. I am dead dog serious about this.

FyredUp

It's kind of like the difference between a $15,000 Harley and a $2,000 Vespa scooter: both have 2 wheels, both have handlebars, both have a motor, and both will get you from point "A" to pont "B"...but what would you rather have your friends see you on? LOL

Yeah I know, you wanted a no BS answer, but I quite frankly don't have one...i think it's a personal choice of how much money you think is too much to protect your gourd

Some Guy

I have a Phenix that I bought a few months ago. I can't tell you how much I love it. I had an old New Yorker before. This is by far my helmet of choice. I love that I can bend it as I see fit.

I used to work for FDNY as a civilian employee. My old helmet is from the quartermaster there. I just noticed a few days ago that it says property of FDNY inside. I wonder if I am in trouble.
    This space for rent

Forum Member

FyredUp

I can answer your question with one word...Tradition!

Any helmet will protect you. Everyone in the fire service knows that. A leather helmet simply continues the tradition of the past, into the present. That's the reason why I will always wear one.

Why are there still bells on some brand new apparatus...Tradition. They do virtually nothing to alert motorists compared to present day warning devices, yet they carry on the tradition from years gone by. Our newest truck even has one.

Far too many traditions in the fire service have gone by the wayside in recent times. Some perhaps, for the better. Others, not necessarily so. I want to preserve and carry on as much of the tradition as I can. Wearing leather is an easy one.

When I'm long since dead and buried, my girls will have my leather helmets to do with as they please. Maybe if they show them to their own kids some day, they can say with pride that their daddy loved the fire service, and that he carried on the long-standing tradition of wearing leather lids when he was a fireman.

LEATHER FOREVER!!!!!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Some Guy

Far too many traditions in the fire service have gone by the wayside in recent times. Some perhaps, for the better. Others, not necessarily so. I want to preserve and carry on as much of the tradition as I can. Wearing leather is an easy one.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Outstanding
    This space for rent

Forum Member

Tradition? That's it? Not better protection, not proven longevity, not anything safety related. Tradition...

I have worn leather helmets. Both an old style N5A and an N6A. While they were nice helmets I would take the N5A over the N6A any day. It was lighter, fit to my head and sat lower on my head with no modifications necessary. The N5A lasted about 10 years before it was junk the back brim cracked and broke, I did maintain it, kept it clean and painted the bare spots. The N6A lasted 5 years and I had to have the shell replaced for the exact same thing and when it happened again in about that same time frame I just said screw it and bought a look a like composite helmet. Which has served me well for 5 years now with no signs of damage or distress.

Go ahead and buy the leather helmet if you have that kind of money laying around. As for me I have other things that are more important to me than a $500 cow on my head with no more justification for it than it is tradition and it looks cool.

I am no tradition hater, I agree that too many have died. But the mention of bells on apparatus is another example of why? If you are moving it from an old rig, that's cool. But to buy something like that that admittedly is only for show seems counterproductive in today's tight budgets.

Sorry to rain on the parade...just one man's opinion.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Tradition? That's it? Not better protection, not proven longevity, not anything safety related. Tradition...

I have worn leather helmets. Both an old style N5A and an N6A. While they were nice helmets I would take the N5A over the N6A any day. It was lighter, fit to my head and sat lower on my head with no modifications necessary. The N5A lasted about 10 years before it was junk the back brim cracked and broke, I did maintain it, kept it clean and painted the bare spots. The N6A lasted 5 years and I had to have the shell replaced for the exact same thing and when it happened again in about that same time frame I just said screw it and bought a look a like composite helmet. Which has served me well for 5 years now with no signs of damage or distress.

Go ahead and buy the leather helmet if you have that kind of money laying around. As for me I have other things that are more important to me than a $500 cow on my head with no more justification for it than it is tradition and it looks cool.

I am no tradition hater, I agree that too many have died. But the mention of bells on apparatus is another example of why? If you are moving it from an old rig, that's cool. But to buy something like that that admittedly is only for show seems counterproductive in today's tight budgets.

Sorry to rain on the parade...just one man's opinion.

FyredUp
    Your not raining on my parade...No way, no how. And your always more than welcome to share your opinion. That's what this is all about...Opinions.

So far as the money for the helmet goes, I can blow about that much on a night or two out with the wife and family, or on some new tool for my shop that I want, more than I need. Fortunately, I am in a financial position where the cost of a few leather helmets is not an issue. I'm (we're) not rich by any measure, but I'm not that poor either. Besides, I can work one O.T. shift and pay for a new leather helmet, leather boots and still have enough left to fiil my truck with fuel.

If the cost of leather is the only issue, by all means, buy plastic. What it all boils down to value. Value is a purely subjective thing. I value carrying on this tradition more I do than a few hundred bucks.

With regard to the bells, I don't spec out the units, but considering a 3/4 million dollar truck has a bell added, the extra cost is basically negligible.

Stay safe!
    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information