Forum Member

Default Personal Emergency Response Vehicle

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been talked about before but I couldn't find anything so I figured I'd ask. It's recently been discussed at my department about turning my vehicle (A 2005 Ford Expedition) into an unmarked emergency response vehicle by adding in strobe lights throughout the vehicle and different emergency lighting as well as a siren... now I'm sure there are different laws for each state, but what is the common procedure for something like this, my other question to you is how does the insurance work with something like this? Because this is still my PERSONAL vehicle, but it will also be my personal EMERGENCY response vehicle. Thanks for the help.

-MrSmokeEater
    "Remember the 343."

Forum Member

Default Personal Vehicle

I will offer you this... if you are going to use your personal vehicle as first respon vehicle first check your state laws then check you department SOP / SOG. Once you have read and make sure that you understand the laws and sop's then you can go from there. Through my expiriences I have found that most places put the liability on you because you own the vehicle. Unless the department spells out in writting and you get to retain a copy of the document saying that you are covered by the department while responding to and from calls I would not do it. It places a lot of liability on you plus it is a lot of wear and tear on your vehicle. They are not going to be paying for the repairs on it so why do it. If there is that much of a need for emergency first response make the department purchase the vehicle.

C Fisher
    LGFD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmokeEater View Post
    Hi everyone, sorry if this has been talked about before but I couldn't find anything so I figured I'd ask. It's recently been discussed at my department about turning my vehicle (A 2005 Ford Expedition) into an unmarked emergency response vehicle by adding in strobe lights throughout the vehicle and different emergency lighting as well as a siren... now I'm sure there are different laws for each state, but what is the common procedure for something like this, my other question to you is how does the insurance work with something like this? Because this is still my PERSONAL vehicle, but it will also be my personal EMERGENCY response vehicle. Thanks for the help.

-MrSmokeEater
    "Remember the 343."

Let me get this straight...

Your FD wants to convert your POV into a stealth emergency response vehicle for the FD?

Are you going to allow others to use it when you are not driving it?
    Are the taxpayers paying for it?

I would let them... provided they buy it first..cash or certified check... they can then do what their little hearts contend.

If you let them convert it and it is still yours, it would be, in effect, an officially sanctioned "whackermobile"

I see nothing good coming from this...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-19-2007 at 04:23 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

If your department wants to "convert" your vehicle, they should have all the info necessary for you regarding insurance, state laws, etc. They should also cover all costs. Something just doesn't seem right here. Why on earth would you really need to "convert" your personal vehicle into an unmarked Christmas tree? Ask your chief any questions you may have, as there are different laws for every state, and different policies and procedures for every department.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

-MrSmokeEater
    "Remember the 343."

1. Check the state laws where you live.

2. Check with the city, town or county attorney about coverage.

3. Check with your own insurance company and be GROVERN by what they tell you.

4. Tell who ever had this pipe dream to get lost!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

-MrSmokeEater
    "Remember the 343."
    I would offer them the Buy It Now option. Why would you want to do something like this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Why just your car and not everyone's?

If you're the chief of the department or in a position that warrants a department owned take home vehicle, that vehicle should be fully marked AND PAID FOR BY THE CITY OR DEPARTMENT.

If you're just a volunteer with the department there should be no need to convert anything. Get a red light that plugs into the cigarrette lighter and all the proper papers to go with it to show you are legitimately able to drive such a vehicle.

And why does an FD need an unmarked car? So the fire doesnt know water is coming?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFW333 View Post

And why does an FD need an unmarked car? So the fire doesnt know water is coming?
    Now thats some funny stuff!

I in NO WAY agree with it, but I can tell you around here some departments give extreamly high level chiefs Deputy and Department Chiefs unmarked cars. I know as a fact, legal or not, that some of them live out of state and take thier cars home and respond in for huge incidents. This could be a problem if a trooper from State of X sees a fire vehicle from State Y running code in his city. I think mark them all and if you have to think twice about a policy or action with a MARKED car then its problem a bad idea.

Thread Information