Forum Member

Talking Houston FD Questions.

Just had few questions for those in the HFD and past experiences they had...

tomorrow is the CSE and I was wondering how long the hiring process could take, i heard a rumor that an academy class could start at the end of the summer and if it was possible to get into that one. also, how does the cpat, poly, and interview go to schedule, can you take them on your own time?? the site says they are at your own discresion because out of towners can complete it in 3 days at least.

thanks

Forum Member

I think the hiring process is faster. It took them a year to get me after they ranked all of us.
    Looking at your post date I see that today was CSE (Cadet School Entry? Classified Simpleton Examination?) so my lack of information is even less helpful than I had anticipated. Good luck.

Forum Member

Well it didnt take me that long at all however I have heard some people say that. I think overall it took me around 3 1/2 months. Around a month for each step. As for the out of town thing there is a way to expedite the process however there are somethings that your not going to be able to do right away. The process works kind of like a ladder process. You do step 1 and once everyone gets passed 1 if your name is still in you do 2 then so on. Talk to the recruiters up there but some of them are good for nothing. So if you call up there ask for Mr. Kennison. He was mine and did an excellent job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Houston FD

How do you like it over in houston? Where are you from? Did you work anywhere before? any differences. I am about to test over there.

Thanks, Chris

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman06 View Post
    How do you like it over in houston? Where are you from? Did you work anywhere before? any differences. I am about to test over there.

Thanks, Chris
    I like it in Houston. I am from my mommy's tummy. I worked at St. Christopher's, Casa Ole, Dante's, Glass Depot, Temp and A&I Fasteners before working with Houston. When I lived in Kodiak, I delivered the Kodiak Daily Mirror. HFD is very different from all these places. I don't think there were fire trucks or hygeine in any of my previous jobs, expecially Casa Ole.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I lived in Kodiak, I delivered the Kodiak Daily Mirror.
    Assuming you arent joking, would that be Kodiak, as in Alaska?

Forum Member

I love working for Houston. I consider myself extremely blessed to be a houston firefighter. Its great when your making fires and good when your not. So you cant complain ya know. Im still amazed they actually pay me for it. Plus right now Im in the middle of my 5 days off. I think the schedule is one of the best. But thats just my opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    Assuming you arent joking, would that be Kodiak, as in Alaska?
    Yes. I am too large to live in a tin of tobacco.

Forum Member

God bless Casa Ole, especially the one at I-10/Federal.

FYI: HFD does not run a "cpat".......

Just be sure that you can run a mile and a half in 13:07 or less.

Forum Member

testing period is over, test was kind of a joke. i dont think the physical one will be though, do they do the mile last, probably going to my hardest part because i hate running, i was a sprinter so anything over 200 is too long.

how grueling is the polygraph and oral interview part?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kdollar View Post
    testing period is over, test was kind of a joke. i dont think the physical one will be though, do they do the mile last, probably going to my hardest part because i hate running, i was a sprinter so anything over 200 is too long.

how grueling is the polygraph and oral interview part?
    Yeah the run will be last but the pat is overall pretty much a joke too. The polygraph isnt that bad especially if you never have done or sold drugs or robbed an old lady. You will get a list of questions that they will ask before hand and you answer them on paper then when you go do your poly they just see if the answers changed any. Worst comes to worst you fail for some odd reason and you just pay and take it again. There really is no actual oral interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry to hijack this thread...quick question for the Houston FFs....how do you all like the Morning Pride/American Firewear Sleevemate gloves? What about the version that has the kevlar backing? Sorry about the off topic question, but I figured you HFD guys would be looking.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cap6888 View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread...quick question for the Houston FFs....how do you all like the Morning Pride/American Firewear Sleevemate gloves? What about the version that has the kevlar backing? Sorry about the off topic question, but I figured you HFD guys would be looking.

Stay Safe
    We call them "gauntlets" and they work great. The first four years of my career I didn't have them and burned my wrists multiple times. I haven't burned them once with the gauntlets.

Thread Information