MembersZone Subscriber

Default Charleston, SC multi LODD

At a press conference this morning, Charleston Mayor Joe Riley, has made the official announcement that we have lost 9 firefighters in this terrible fire.

More information will be forthcoming from the scene at www.sconfire.com

Please keep the fallen and the family and friends in your prayers during this difficult time.
    Last edited by sconfire; 06-19-2007 at 08:11 AM.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Last edited by Alex1137; 06-19-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Forum Member

Praying for the best, Cap

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

RIP Brothers.
    Last edited by erics99; 06-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Forum Member

Praying for the brothers in Charleston. God Bless.

Forum Member

Last reports indicate 6 to 7 killed and others unaccounted for... Rest in Peace Brother; please pray for the families of all Charleston ffs as I'm sure that there will be plenty of spouses dredding any knock or phone calls tonight

Forum Member

*_CFP INCIDENT > SConFire.com 911 *
    CFP8: U/D5 CHARLESTON **LODDs** PER A NEWS CONFERENCE BY THE MAYOR OF CHARLESTON: "6 TO 7 FIREFIGHTERS KILLED, OTHERS MISSING." SOURCES ON SCENE REPORT (4) FFs HAVE BEEN RECOVERED. EXTENDED OPERATIONS. (VAR O/S) [700] 9999/**

June 18, 2007 | Permalink | Comments (0)
    CFP8: U/D4 CHARLESTON *MULT ALM* SAVANNAH HWY. ONE FF HAS BEEN LOCATED ALIVE, CONDITION UNKN. SEARCH ON-GOING FOR OFFICER (803) [700] 89/**

CPF8: U/D3 CHARLESTON **MULT ALM w/ FFs MISSING** 1807 SAVANNAH HWY. 100+ FFs ON SCENE. M/A SUMMERVILLE, N CHAS, ST PAULS, ST ANDREWS. S/C ADDL LADDERS. NUM 5" LINES DN, NUM L/S/O, 2 AERIALS UP. BULK OF FIRE K/D. FFs ATTEMPTING RESCUE EFFORTS. (804FC O/S) [700] 89/**

CPF8: U/D2 CHARLESTON **MULT ALM w/ FFs MISSING** 1807 SAVANNAH HWY. (2) FIREFIGHTERS REPORTED AS MISSING NOW FOR 30 mins. ROOF HAS COLLAPSED. DEFENSIVE OPERATIONS. 15 ENGs, 2 LADDERS, ALL CHFs O/S. (803DIR) [700] 89/**

Forum Member

Dear God, Through the intercession of our patron, Saint Florian, have mercy on the souls of our comrades who have made the supreme sacrifice in the performance of their duty, and on all who have gone before us after years of faithful discharge of their responsibilities which now rest on ourselves. Give us Grace to prepare each day for our own summons to Thy tribunal of justice. Into Thy hands O Lord, I commend my spirit. Withersoever Thou callest me, I am ready to go. Merciful Father of all men, save me from all bodily harm, if it be Thy will, but above all, help me to be loyal and true, respectful and honorable, obedient and valiant. Thus fortified by virtue, I shall have no fear, for I shall then belong to Thee and shall never be separated from Thee.

Amen.

Forum Member

uh oh, this isn't good. my prayers will be with the Charleston Fire Department, and I REALLY hope the news is wrong, and the missing brothers turn up alive and well
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    Dear God, Through the intercession of our patron, Saint Florian, have mercy on the souls of our comrades who have made the supreme sacrifice in the performance of their duty, and on all who have gone before us after years of faithful discharge of their responsibilities which now rest on ourselves. Give us Grace to prepare each day for our own summons to Thy tribunal of justice. Into Thy hands O Lord, I commend my spirit. Withersoever Thou callest me, I am ready to go. Merciful Father of all men, save me from all bodily harm, if it be Thy will, but above all, help me to be loyal and true, respectful and honorable, obedient and valiant. Thus fortified by virtue, I shall have no fear, for I shall then belong to Thee and shall never be separated from Thee.

Amen.
    God bless them, Amen.

MembersZone Subscriber

RIP Brothers

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

We are praying for our Brothers and Sisters in Charleston.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

F*CK. RIP Brothers, hope they can find the others alive.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/...fighters_lost/

Firefighters lost
    By Nadine Parks (Contact)
    The Post and Courier
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Several firefighters are missing in a massive blaze that destroyed a West Ashley store Monday night.

Mayor Joe Riley held a press conference late in the evening after a blaze destroyed the Sofa Super Store and warehouse on Savannah Highway. The roofs of the business had collapsed and the site was reduced to rubble.

Riley had few details: "There are several Charleston city firefighters missing in this fire."

Firefighters from St. Andrews, North Charleston, Summerville, James Island and other agencies were on the scene to help in the search.

"They are in the midst of looking for their fallen firefighters," Riley said. "This is a tragic matter."

The firefighters are believed to be from three city of Charleston fire stations. When asked if any of the missing were presumed dead, Riley would only say that officials are in the process of notifiying families.

The Coroner's Office had personnel on the scene but could not be reached for comment.

At about 7:45 p.m., the front of the store collapsed and sent a roaring ball of burning debris rolling above about two-dozen rescue workers' heads.

Hundreds of onlookers were pelted with hot ash.

Mark Hilton of Ridgeville said he could feel the sting as a piece of ash went into an eye. He was mesmerized by the sight of the large furniture store and its adjacent warehouse ablaze.

"It was like a 30-foot tornado of flames," he said.

Riley said he believed all of the store workers made it from the building. At least one was taken to the hospital, he said.

At least two other firefighters were injured and taken as well, he said. Their conditions were not known.

Daniel Shahid, a salesman at nearby Morris Nissan, said he was working when a firefighter came inside and asked for towels.

The next thing you know, we were carrying hoses, directing traffic everybody from the dealership," he said.

He said he watched as firefighters brought four people out of the building.

"They were struggling. They were covered in black soot. They looked scared out of their minds."

Officials at the news conference had no answer as to whether a plume of smoke, which could be seen for miles around, was toxic. They only would say that it was a byproduct of the combustible furniture material in the store.

The store at 1807 Savannah Highway caught fire shortly after 6:30 p.m. About 30 employees work there daily, according to a business spokesman.

Sylvester Washington, an employee, had just left.

His parents had come inside to look at furniture. They then drove to a nearby neighborhood to look at a house. When they drove back by the store about 15 minutes later and saw the fire, Washington searched the crowd for his co-workers.

A frantic Toni Tyrrell arrived about 7:30 p.m. to look for her husband, Jonathan, who was working at the store Monday. She was concerned because he was not answering his cell phone.

Washington's father, Chase Sandred, watched as two firefighters leaped through ground-floor windows to escape to safety.

"I guess it was just too much for them," he said.

Dozens of firefighters from agencies around the region worked late into the night to control the fire. Savannah Highway was blocked by all the equipment. Rain began to fall at about 11 p.m., creating additional smoke during the rescue workers.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Riley referred to the missing firefighters as heroes. "This is a profession that we must never take for granted. There's a fire raging and they go toward it."

Reach Nadine Parks at nparks@postandcourier.com or 937-5573.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

False information in post
    Last edited by rookienc; 06-19-2007 at 02:20 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rest In Peace My Brothers

It hurt me bad when I heard one of the news stations tell the story, that one fallen brother called a MAYDAY and told Command to tell his wife he loved her.

MembersZone Subscriber

My heart sank as I received the first e-mail of this event tonight, and it just keeps getting worse.

Thoughts and prayers for the fallen, and those still missing.

What a terrible day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rookienc View Post
    Charleston had seven firefighters killed in a collapse in 1949, the department has lost a total of fifteen firefighters in the line of duty. Hopefully, tonight's events will add to that total as little as possible.
    Rookie... that was Charleston, WV not SC. It happened on March 4, 1949 at Woolworth's Five and Dime on Capitol Street, the most firefighter deaths in one blaze in state history.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Edited my previous post to reflect my mistake

MembersZone Subscriber

Jesus, prayers for the fallen brothers and their families.

Forum Member

What a terrible day. God Bless all the brothers in the Charleston Fire Department, thoughts and prayers are with the famililes of the fallen firefighters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post

Amen.
    Very, very nice!

My prayers as well are with all the Brothers and their families. God Bless the CFD!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

Terrible news, my thoughts and sympathies to the families, colleagues and department concerned.

Thread Information