Forum Member

Default Firehouse Barbers

I was reading the bios on the brave men lost in the Charleston tragedy and one struck a nerve.
    To many of his fellow firefighters, Capt. Billy Hutchinson was more than just a veteran fire captain with three decades of service under his belt - he was also their barber.
    This brings back memories. My first haircut as a boy done by someone other than my mother was a firehouse barber. My grandfather, a retired district chief, had taken me along when he got his cut and convinced me I could use a trim.

We had another in the company I was involved in, although didn't often get a chance to use his services for cuts. But Don and I did plenty of other adventures together (sorry for dropping that wrench on your face, Don).

So tell us your firehouse barber memories.

MembersZone Subscriber

This reminds me of the time we had a fire. So its like 2 pm and i am cutting my hair. Pager goes off. People start calling on radio in route. No to many so i drop the trimmer and go Hair half cut. I put a hat on so i can sneak into the station. I make the truck and after the fire we are hanging out. I forgot about my hair. So i go to sign the run report and chief goes "man i know you are wierd but WTF is with the hair" After about 5 minutes of getting some good laughs in i was finally allowed to go home.
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work at a career house, and many times half a head of hair has gone out the door on a call. Only probolem is the we work in an area where we respond to many sport players and local celebs houses. Luckily we have been able to cover it up well thus far.
    This is a good tradition and benefit at my station....
    Oh, btw, I am the barber.

Forum Member

On my old department,we had a very good paramedic who was stricken with breast cancer with the attendent side effect of losing her hair from the chemo.
    As a sign of solidarity,I took my clippers with which I cut my own hair(think of the opening scene of'Full Metal Jacket')and offered to buzz all comers.
    Not too many people took me up,even though I had lots of cleaner handy but it was appreciated by our sister who is now in remission.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    On my old department,we had a very good paramedic who was stricken with breast cancer with the attendent side effect of losing her hair from the chemo.
    As a sign of solidarity,I took my clippers with which I cut my own hair(think of the opening scene of'Full Metal Jacket')and offered to buzz all comers.
    Not too many people took me up,even though I had lots of cleaner handy but it was appreciated by our sister who is now in remission.
    We had a guy on shift whose wife came down with cancer (and ultimately lost the fight) and our entire shift went bald to show our support.

Thread Information