MembersZone Subscriber

Default Curse of the black pearl...

So, it's more than likely just rumor that an applicant can be "black-balled" after having failed a psych test... there may be some truth to it, but overall, it seems that such a thing exists more in rumor than in reality. However, I want to take this psych test seriously... Has anbody failed this test before? Has anyone passed it on their 2'nd try? Can anybody say what has hurt them or helped them on this portion of the process? I want to prepare! Thanks!

Forum Member

What the hell are you taking about? Coherence, please ...

Forum Member

You can't prep for a psych evaluation. You can only try to fake one. IU wouldn't reccomend that. A psych evaluation is just a shrink analyzing you, and getting a feel for how crazy you are.

I do know people however, who have failed psych evals in one place, and then got hired on in another.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this is just me (because I have never taken a psych eval. before) but how hard can a psych eval be that you fail it?? If it’s just an eval of your personality and sense of mind then how can you fail that? And if you do shouldn’t that be a clue?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I really want to agree with you Kev... I've just heard the statistics are; many people (40% actually) of people who take the psych test fail it. This includes people with or without credentials... EMT-P, FF II, Fire Science degrees, you name it... what seperates it from a lot of other things, it's like Jerry said... you can't prepare for it. So, I'm just hoping for more details about it, a little more direction... i'd hate to fail it, knowing I've worked as hard as I have at everything else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaybo77 View Post
    Well, I really want to agree with you Kev... I've just heard the statistics are; many people (40% actually) of people who take the psych test fail it. This includes people with or without credentials... EMT-P, FF II, Fire Science degrees, you name it... what seperates it from a lot of other things, it's like Jerry said... you can't prepare for it. So, I'm just hoping for more details about it, a little more direction... i'd hate to fail it, knowing I've worked as hard as I have at everything else.
    Shwaybo77, I don't think it's something that you can actually "study" for. I'm guessing there are different types. The one that I am familiar with and have taken was just a mulitple choice type questionaire that was then evaluated. If I remember correctly (it's been a long while so things might have changed) it asked a lot of things about how you would rate your feelings to a particular situation. I seem to remember a question about driving a car and how often do you think of crashing and dying while driving: Never, Sometimes, Once in a while, Often, All the time. Correct answer is? No idea. "Never" makes you seem like a suicidal maniac and "all the time" makes you a depressed psycho? Pick in between? No idea. Please excuse me while I call my shrink now.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

I've been involved with a study for alcohol/ drug use/dependancy for ASU since I was about 8 yo ( I'm 30 now) it's a study to see how likely someone will become dependant on drugs and alcohol.

basicly it's a psyche test that you take every year/3 years....
    one thing I've noticed is its the same 20-30 questions asked in a different way, and maybe changing one thing in it to fit the situation.

this is a bad example but it would be something like this.

do you speed while driving?

do you go faster than the speed limit while driving?

if you are in a hurry would you exeed the speed limit?

like I said bad example...but there it is. my advice is look for the pattern, and answer the same way for each question.
    ultimately there is no wrong answer....just what you feel is correct.

and hopefully you're not too crazy

MembersZone Subscriber

The last department I was on required a psych test. It was all multiple choice and lasted about 4 hours. They ask the same questions 10 different ways to see if you answer is consistantly. I remember having a screaming headache when I left.
    Anyway, there were at least two guys that I know of on that department that failed the test. They were forced to go see a shrink and certify that they were sane and fit to be firefigthters.

MembersZone Subscriber

It sounds like too much emphasis is placed on this test... There really is no fool-proof way to generalize people that easily, I'm sorry... There may be some great tests out there, but I think it's possible for some good candidates to slip through the cracks on something like this. Truth is, most of the "crazy" people got weeded out the first day of EMT-B class when they announced that there would be drug testing. If somebody wants to pursue being psychotic, there are some much easier routes to go, rather than going through all the hassle and trouble firemen must go through. Basically, I fear it may be possible to pass this test while still being sane and while still being honest...

MembersZone Subscriber

my physc was easy the doc though I think needed one himself. I took a multiple choice exam that asked tons of questions in different ways. then he sat and talked with me for about 10 minutes in an office. he asked if I saw cows circleing the desk. WTF is that seriously.
    FOOLS
    RFB-KTF-DTRT

Talking

I failed mine and they promoted me to Captain!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    my physc was easy the doc though I think needed one himself. I took a multiple choice exam that asked tons of questions in different ways. then he sat and talked with me for about 10 minutes in an office. he asked if I saw cows circleing the desk. WTF is that seriously.
    thats how my test was also (about 1100 questions) just be truthful and dont try to trick the test good luck

Thread Information