Forum Member

Default Vise Grips - Uses?

Having read the garage fire WWYD thread in the tactics forum, it was mentioned that a pair of vise grips can be useful in keeping an overhead garage door secure. I've read about the use of vise grips in conventional forcible entry but was wondering what other fireground tasks these are useful for. Also, what size is best, both for a tool kit as well as personal use.

Looking forward to hearing your input...thanks!! Stay Safe...

P.S. - To the "search gurus", no I did not do a search so please don't bite my
    head off if this has been asked before

From Fire hooks unlimited ...

MembersZone Subscriber

Some things I know of...

Holding padlocks to cut the shackle when using a rotary saw, crimping pipes to slow/stop leaks, controlling inward swinging doors when forcing them.

If you know the tool and how it works, then you'll be able to think of a ton of other uses as situations present themselves. Just like every other tool we use, If you learn what it does as many different ways it can be used, you can apply it in countless circumstances.

Forum Member

I rode in a reserve engine once that used a pair as the inside door handle....

Forum Member

You can spin most locks out of commercial business doors and be inside the building in less than 20 seconds.

It does have countless uses though.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Dont be the guy that gets asked, 'who put vice grips on the track to hold up that door?' Be the guy that tells the guy that wants to use the vice grips to get a hook or if its a big door get a ladder to hold it up. Vice grips are good for things that dont jeopardize anyones safety.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    I rode in a reserve engine once that used a pair as the inside door handle....
    And a screwdriver as the ignition key as well I presume...

Jonnyirons2...I've always heard to use a pike pole as well, I read that in the tactics forum about the vise grips...I hear you though, I wouldn't bank my safety or that of others on a pair of vise grips alone holding up a heavy door.

Thanks for the input so far...Stay Safe...

Forum Member

Vice Grips, like many hand tools, have an endless possibility of uses. The versitility of the tool is only limited to the knowledge, experience and training of the person using it.

One of the drills that we conduct on rainy days is that we grab a handful of tools off the truck and work with them. Whether we grab 5-6 hand tools out of the tool box, or 2-3 hooks and pry bars. You would be suprised with some of the things you think of.

Stay safe and train often!
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Forum Member

You can get a small section of round stock welded to the inside of each jaw, and use them to crimp small residential gas lines that have been cut.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

Thread Information