Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 Gas Monitor

Default 4 Gas Monitor

Hey guys, I need some help here. My department is looking for a 4 gas monitor. Im not big in Haz Mat so I dont have a clue. Just wanted to know what kind your department runs and looking for one thats real easy to use. Thanks for your help.

Border Patrol

RKI GX-2003: http://www.rkiinstruments.com/pages/gx2003.htm
    We use them on my full-time job in construction safety. Durable, easy to use, has an internal pump so you can monitor a confined space remotely and it's relatively cheap (around $1,000)

My fire department has one of these which was purchased by the county with a Homeland Security grant: http://www.myitx.com/index.asp (It wouldn't have been my choice)

I've also used these before: http://www.msanorthamerica.com/catalog/product668.html (Very nice & Very expensive) and this one: http://www.gasmonitors.com/main.cfm?...odpage1&pid=32 (Not bad but only used it for a month or so, so I don't know how durable it is.)

Hope this helps...
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

MembersZone Subscriber

Some place use a standard 4 gas monitor from Industrial Scientfic.

I prefer, and so do my local teams, a MULTI-Rae 4 gas monitor with a PID.

They are great unit, fairly durable and have alot of options on them.

Check them out. If you are local to SF, CA, I can show you what we have.

Anthony

Forum Member

While the multi rae is a great detector, it is also expnsive to own and maintain. Also, it has a learning curve that the average firefighter would not care about. Yes, they should care. However, a basic four gas meter is fairly easy to use. If you are looking to low maintence and low cost, check out the industrial scientific M40 ($600). These are rated as 2 year disposable detectors. All sensors are guaranteed for two year and will be relplaced if needed. We switched to these from more expensive models. No longer do I have to buy new batteries or sensors. In the long run, they have saved us a ton of money.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of my local Fire Hazmat teams use the Multi Rae.

The Confined Space teams and the first in Engines use the Industrial Scientific.

Maintanence cost on the Multi-Rae is not that bad. We have used them for several years with no issues. As for difficulty to use, I think they are pretty easy. I don't find them any more difficult the Industrial Scientific.

One of the features I like about the Multi-Rae is that I can hook up a little unit to it and it now becomes a remote monitor for me. I drop it off in a room/hallway and the laptop in the truck picks up the readings. The Industrial Scientific that I have seen, can not do that.

JBRescue: If you know more about the Industrial Scientific, I would love to learn.

Thanks!
    Anthony

Forum Member

As far as I know the Industrial Scientific cannot do that. I was thinking along the lines of more bang for the buck. In this day and age of tight budgets that is usually a driving force for most of us. We do not have the multi-raes. But we do have mini-raes and area raes on the hazmat truck.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Post 4 gas monitor

gregsummit,
    The fire department I am on uses the MSA Solaris with the battery operated pump probe. It is very simple and can take a reasonable amount of rough handling.
    The county haz mat team I am on was given two MultiRAE's with PID by the State in our initial equipment cache. As stated above, the MultiRAEs work quite well for haz mat and are very adaptable, but I do agree that they are above the expertise one would expect for haz mat operations trained people.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

We just bought 2 Biosystems milti vision meters... So far they work well... We use them for confined space and hazmat... Looking to buy more for our front line rigs...
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Thread Information