Forum Member

Default moving before im hired

well i live in florida and want to move out to south lake tahoe but nevada side since i would have to retake fire standards. i am FL certified emt/firefighter just got certified and dont have a job yet. right now in florida we are in a hiring freeze because of property tax stuff. i dont know when they are gonna start hiring but i want to start working. should i move out there before i start or should i wait then get hired then transfer after a couple months so i know somewhat of the ropes. will it look bad to be a probie for a few months and move 3000miles across the country? thanks guys

MembersZone Subscriber

Just some advice, get the job and then move. I've been there and done that before. Never uproot from family,friends and contacts until you have a solid offer to go on. Things may change and life could throw some upsets at you there before you actually have your badge.
    I understand your concerns of the Fl. freeze but it won't last forever. Just a thought....maybe apply a further north of Fl.to many depts. at least it is within driving distance from home. Good-Luck!

Forum Member

Always get the job first. In the words of Mr. Gump, that's all I have to say about that.
    Firefighter II/EMT-Intermediate, ECFR, NC

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but who we know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even of supreme sacrifice."
    Chief Edward F. Crocker, FDNY

Member IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Here are some possibilities

Position: Firefighter
    Testing Agency: City of Jacksonville Beach
    Requirements: Combo of education and experience equivalent to HS/GED; FL FF cert; FL EMT cert; VFLDL; non-user of tobacco.
    Salary: $30,518 annually
    Filing Deadline: July 20
    Special Instructions: n/a
    Contact Info: Applications available on website below, and must be submitted in person. 11 North 3rd St., Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250. (904)247-6263.
    www.jacksonvillebeach.org
    This job information was brought to you on May 9, 2007 by the Perfect Firefighter Candidate.
    Copyright © Perfect Firefighter Candidate, Craig and Pam Freeman, 4475 Dupont Ct. Suite 3, Ventura, CA 93003
    Phone: (800)-326-8401 - www.firecareers.com

Position: Firefighter/EMT
    Testing Agency: Hernando County
    Requirements: HS/GED; FL EMT cert; BCLS provider; EVOC or equivalent FL minimum firefighting standards class completion; FL minimum firefighting standards cert of compliance; 1 year experience with paid or part-paid fire dept.; permanent residence must be established w/in 50 miles of nearest station w/in 6 months; VFLDL and must be insurable by County's current insurance carrier; must get hepatitis B vaccination.
    Salary: $32,000 annually
    Filing Deadline: July 6
    Special Instructions: n/a
    Contact Info: 20 N. Main St. Rm 364, Brooksville, FL 34601. (352)754-4013.
    www.co.hernando.fl.us/hr/
    This job information was brought to you on May 11, 2007 by the Perfect Firefighter Candidate.
    Copyright © Perfect Firefighter Candidate, Craig and Pam Freeman, 4475 Dupont Ct. Suite 3, Ventura, CA 93003

Position: Firefighter/EMT & Firefighter/Paramedic
    Testing Agency: Seminole County
    Requirements: FL EMT or Paramedic cert; HS/GED; applicants who are presently enrolled in a minimum standards FF, EMT, or paramedic program may apply if they successfully complete and will receive FL cert prior to 9/12/07; VFLDL w/good record; must be a non user of tobacco for one year prior, w/signed and notarized affidavit; applicants must have completed the fire/EMS Skills assessment administered by Seminole Community College between July 10, 2006 and July 13, 2007.
    Salary: $33,620 - $67,575 annually
    Filing Deadline: June 29
    Special Instructions: Copies of all certs, including SSC, birth cert, name and addresses of 3 references.
    Contact Info: 1101 East First St., Sanford, FL 32773. (407)665-7945.
    www.co.seminole.fl.us
    This job information was brought to you on May 31, 2007 by the Perfect Firefighter Candidate.

Position: Firefighter/EMT
    Testing Agency: Lake County
    Requirements: HS/GED; FL Basic FF cert; FL EMT cert or FL Paramedic cert; VFLDL Class E that meets Lake County req's.
    Salary: $35,468 annually
    Filing Deadline: July 6
    Special Instructions: Must include copies of all certs, including SSC, with applications.
    Contact Info: 315 W. Main St., Tavares, FL 32778. (352)343-9694.
    www.co.lake.fl.us

Forum Member

Well...6 months ago I would say that you should have a job before you move. But now your probably not going to get hired her in Fla anytime soon. If you want a fire service job, you may as well move and start looking.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

thanks guys, firedawg where did you find that info.

Thread Information