Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question How to Settle Down and Start a New Career

Hey all.
    I am currently touring the country with my job and I am looking to start my next career as a FireFighter. I think about settling down constantly, but I can't decide where. I think I want to live in the Eastern PA / Northern NJ / Metro NY area. Narrows it down, doesn't it?
    Anyway, my question is: How do I get started? How do I find out about testing and fire academies near where I live? The last 'residence' I had was for 6 months outside Philly and I joined a Volunteer Dept. for about 5 months. I had just started the Certification class when I left for work.
    I have a new job opportunity in NYC, but think I would like to live in Jersey. Though, at this point, I want to be a FireFighter so badly, I will go wherever I need to in order to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Stay safe.

- bender

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AMBender View Post
    Hey all.
    I am currently touring the country with my job and I am looking to start my next career as a FireFighter. I think about settling down constantly, but I can't decide where. I think I want to live in the Eastern PA / Northern NJ / Metro NY area. Narrows it down, doesn't it?
    Anyway, my question is: How do I get started? How do I find out about testing and fire academies near where I live? The last 'residence' I had was for 6 months outside Philly and I joined a Volunteer Dept. for about 5 months. I had just started the Certification class when I left for work.
    I have a new job opportunity in NYC, but think I would like to live in Jersey. Though, at this point, I want to be a FireFighter so badly, I will go wherever I need to in order to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Stay safe.

- bender
    NJ is fubar'd if you want a job here. You need residence in that town, but where are the towns? yea thats right northern NJ for the most part is primarily volunteer. Bergen county: hackensack(NJDOP) and englewood fire(Chiefs test). Hudson County: North Hudson Regional(NJDOP) Hoboken (NJDOP) JC (NJDOP). The majority of paid depts are in essex county. you can find more information on the NJ website. We currently just had the testing process finished here, but there is another testing phase next year. FDNY just recently had a testing in DEC'06 and won't be testing for a while. As for PA, I don't know anything about their process. Hope that helps.

Thread Information