Forum Member

Unhappy "This event is about the firemen who were lost

Among those expected for the service were former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee -- both presidential candidates -- as well as Barbara Richardson, wife of Democratic New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who is also running.

South Carolina Firefighters Association president Joe Palmer said dignitaries would be seated at the back, however, well away from firefighters' families.

"This event is about the firemen who were lost -- honoring them and their families. It is not a political event and shouldn't be politicized in any way," said Jeff Zack, a spokesman for the International Association of Firefighters. He said firefighters were coming from as far as Arizona and Alberta, Canada.

Sad that that some who turn this into a chance for a photo with firefighters.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

and what would be said if they didn't show up? In there situation they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

"South Carolina Firefighters Association president Joe Palmer said dignitaries would be seated at the back, however, well away from firefighters' families."
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF View Post
    and what would be said if they didn't show up? In there situation they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Would they be there if those men had been lost one at a time over the past few years.No! big lost alot of media coverage.Sad but ture! Dam if you do Dam if you don't.Maybe However at the end of the day they politicized the event by their present.They should be honoring firefighters by supporting the fire service after their elected.Voting for increased staffing and funding across the nation would be a good start!
    Last edited by coldfront; 06-22-2007 at 10:08 AM.

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Do we have to discuss this while the memorial service is taking place? Perhaps later would be more appropriate.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

I can see Rudy Giuliani being there. This is the worst loss since 9/11, and he was part of New York City during that time. He felt the loss the comunity is feeling there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Do we have to discuss this while the memorial service is taking place? Perhaps later would be more appropriate.
    Well said, Who gives a damn whos there ATM
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    CNN and the IAF is talking about it Calgary. Sorry about your time table.I am watching the service as I type.My department lost two in the line of duty in 1999.I have earned my right to speak my mind!
    NORTH CHARLESTON, South Carolina (AP) -- A long procession of fire trucks wound through streets lined with mourners Friday morning, passing firehouses and a gutted furniture store on its way to a memorial service for nine firefighters who died.

As bagpipers rehearsed in a parking lot, thousands of firefighters from across the nation began arriving in dress uniforms to honor their brethren.

The blaze that swept through the Sofa Super Store on Monday night created the single largest loss of firefighters' lives since the September 11 terror attacks. (Watch why the fire department's chaplain says, "We're kind of numb, but we'll come through it" )

Its nine victims were friends: Capt. William "Billy" Hutchinson, 48; Capt. Mike Benke, 49; Capt. Louis Mulkey, 34; Mark Kelsey, 40; Bradford "Brad" Baity, 37; Michael French, 27; James "Earl" Drayton, 56; Brandon Thompson, 27; and Melvin Champaign, 46.

Ahead of the memorial service, more than 250 firefighters lined up to form a human passageway for the men's families at the entrance to the North Charleston Coliseum.

"When we lose one, it affects us all," said Lt. James Diego, who drove from the Newport News, Virginia, Fire Department with several colleagues. "Most of us have suffered some sort of loss in our careers, and it's a way to pay back the people who supported us when we had a line of duty death."

Black bunting hung over the lighted signs around the 9,000-seat arena, and officials planned to broadcast the service to screens outside and inside an adjacent performing arts center and nearby convention center.

Nearby, a retired Marine stood with an American flag.

"I joined the Marine Corps when a couple of these kids were just being born. If that don't make you cry, you're not a human being," said Robert Turner, 47. "These guys do the same thing that we did in the Marine Corps. It's all duty. It's all honor. It's all for your country or for somebody else. You don't join the service to get rich. You don't become a firefighter to get rich."

Among those expected for the service were former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee -- both presidential candidates -- as well as Barbara Richardson, wife of Democratic New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who is also running.

But South Carolina Firefighters Association President Joe Palmer said dignitaries would be seated at the back, well away from firefighters' families.

"This event is about the firemen who were lost -- honoring them and their families. It is not a political event and shouldn't be politicized in any way," said Jeff Zack, a spokesman for the International Association of Firefighters. He said firefighters were coming from as far as Arizona and Alberta, Canada.

The investigation into the warehouse fire was still under way Friday.

Officials on Thursday released tapes of several 911 calls about the fire. While federal investigators have not confirmed where the blaze, some of the 10 recordings bolster the assertion several city fire officials have made that it likely started at the back of the store in a covered space between the showroom and a warehouse crammed with furniture.

A store employee told The Associated Press that workers frequently smoked cigarettes in that area and were strongly cautioned to carefully throw them away.

Federal investigators have not discussed possible causes for the fire, and have not revealed if they are considering whether a cigarette could have started the blaze.

"We have made fantastic progress in this investigation, however, it still has to be a very systematic, deliberate investigation," said Earl Woodham, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

In a gesture of solidarity, medics from the Framingham, Mass., Fire Department hung their department T-shirt at a makeshift memorial outside the charred store.

The first of the nine funerals was planned later Friday.
    Last edited by coldfront; 06-22-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

CNN and the IAF is talking about it Calgary. Sorry about your time table.I am watching the service as I type.My department lost two in the line of duty in 1999.I have earned my right to speak my mind!

I am sorry for your loss. Which, by the way, in no way gives you a greater right to speak your mind than anyone else.

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    I am sorry for your loss. Which, by the way, in no way gives you a greater right to speak your mind than anyone else.
    No **** sherlock Holmes!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Personally, I'd want family and friends there. I could care less about the rest.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

When the similar tragedy struck Worcester I was impressed that Bill Clinton had the respect for the men and the service to show up. He was (or his wife was) the President and should have been there which he was.

Why wasn't Geaorge Bush there????

As far as Candidates for office they should have been outside standing behind the sea of blue uniforms.
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100 View Post
    When the similar tragedy struck Worcester I was impressed that Bill Clinton had the respect for the men and the service to show up. He was (or his wife was) the President and should have been there which he was.

Why wasn't Geaorge Bush there????

As far as Candidates for office they should have been outside standing behind the sea of blue uniforms.
    See damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he had showed up this morning in SC what would the brothers in NewYork say? Since he could not make it to all the services he did not go to any of them. Not to take anything away from anyone or make one thing biger than the other as these are incidents were brave men were made eternal heros, but WTC was an attack on the Nation, this was a local tragic occurance in a furniture store.
    And what about the families, say one is a fervent Republican, while others are fervent Democrats? What about the IAFF Leadership that endorsed the other guy versus the individual FF's who support the President?
    It is a no win situation. Best thing is for the candidates that said they were going is to still show up, put their hands over their hearts as the caskets pass, and do their best to stay out of the way and let their mere presance make the statements for them.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

How about "This isn't about me.Can you focus on the families of the men who lost their lives and what they'll be doing without their loved ones?".

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post

South Carolina Firefighters Association president Joe Palmer said dignitaries would be seated at the back, however, well away from firefighters' families.

Sad that that some who turn this into a chance for a photo with firefighters.

I would rather have them there and not staying away saying things like the puke from Illinois said that he isn't going because it would look bad. Well Senator, it looked bad by what you said and not being there. The IAFF can wipe you off its slate for backing for the election, as far as I am concern! But this being the South, I really didn’t expect to see him there!!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    How about "This isn't about me.Can you focus on the families of the men who lost their lives and what they'll be doing without their loved ones?".

and I am not the one who brought up the thread. All I did was answer it. I think Dennis answered it perfectly.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that the service is over...

You haven't earned anything, you puke! Two of your brothers making the ultimate sacrifice does not make you anything special. You dishonor your own when you claim that through their death you "earned" something. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

It didn't have anything to do with "my timetable". It had to do with RESPECT for your Brothers.

Just because CNN was talking about the political side of things during their coverage of the service doesn't mean FH members had to follow suit, instead of waiting a few hours until the memorial was over.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Posted by Coldfront
    Posted by George

Two of your brothers making the ultimate sacrifice does not make you anything special. You dishonor your own when you claim that through their death you "earned" something.
    Sorry Coldfront... but George is correct.

You do have the right to comment, just like anyone else on these boards, but invoking the memories of your fallen Brothers as justification is wrong.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Giuliani was there to TRY to save face with the IAFF and fire fighters across this country.

Just remember, not just NO, but HELL NO!
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

the 4-1-4

I have earned my right to speak my mind!
    You can take this attitude, and shove it.
    WE ALL have the right to speak anything that we want. How about though, next time, you think about someone beside yourself. Next time maybe, consider how the words you type here, might be seen by others everywhere, some of whom may have a very direct connection to this event.

Do you somehow think that departments that have never had a LODD have a lesser right to an opinion?

Giuliani was there to TRY to save face with the IAFF and fire fighters across this country.
    And you know this how? Guiliani doesn’t have to save face with the IAFF, it is really the other way around.
    Last edited by jasper45; 06-23-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Forum Member

I wasn't poking at you for your response.Sorry for coming across like I was.My town has had a few problems lately with politicans deciding when an appearence would"politicize" an event and absenting themselves from it,then demanding media coverage when something smelly was coming their way.
    Your response was a good one as well.
    and I am not the one who brought up the thread. All I did was answer it. I think Dennis answered it perfectly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Posted by Coldfront

Posted by George

Sorry Coldfront... but George is correct.

You do have the right to comment, just like anyone else on these boards, but invoking the memories of your fallen Brothers as justification is wrong.
    You hit the nail on the head Gonzo! The ability to discuss this issue or any other for that matter has and is paid for in the blood and service of our military. Not by a tradgic LODD a department had.

It is more of a moral issue as to the appropriate time to discuss any given topic. This thread started during the service, would in some people's opinion be better off left until the service was done. I would be one of them. Knowing and acknowledging that the service was in progress and going down the road this did would in my opinion be in poor taste. I can have that opinion due to the freedoms our country has.

If I knew that the service was going on, I would be respectful of the intent of the service and act as if I was in attendance if I was taking time out of my schedule to pay the respects due the brothers and their families. Even though I was not physically there. This is my moral judgement and what I would choose to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    And you know this how? Guiliani doesn’t have to save face with the IAFF, it is really the other way around.
    Are you serious? If you insist..........

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...007-03-08.html
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2571979.shtml

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/14/us...rssnyt&emc=rss

If anyone here believes he was there simply to memorialize the 9 brothers is sadly mistaken.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Now that the service is over...

You haven't earned anything, you puke! Two of your brothers making the ultimate sacrifice does not make you anything special. You dishonor your own when you claim that through their death you "earned" something. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

Your wise beyond your years george.I never said I was special.I did say I have suffer the lost of good friends in the line of duty.Ashamed never!
    Dont twist this tread like you do most the others.The tread was about honoring brothers from charleston without candidates for office turning into a photo shoot with firefighters .This was not about georgeWendtCFI.You not my timekeeper.Sorry my timing was NOT UP TO YOUR STANDARDS.The IAF brought it up first and CNN reported their concern before the MS began.However when I post the report and make a comment I am attacked by you.The content was on target.You talk of dishonor.What a twist of this topic.This was not about dishonor in any form.Your a sad person.I see by your many posts that you spend alot time on the tail which allows you to travel from one tread to the other.Get out more.

SOME GAVE ALL!

Translations for: Puke
    Dansk (Danish)
    v. intr. - brække sig
    v. tr. - kaste op, spytte ud
    n. - opkast

Nederlands (Dutch)
    kotsen, kots

Français (French)
    v. intr. - dégueuler, gerber (vulg), vomir
    v. tr. - dégueuler
    n. - dégueulis

Deutsch (German)
    n. - Kotze
    v. - kotzen

Ελληνική (Greek)
    n. - ξερατό, εμετός
    v. - κάνω εμετό, ξερνώ

Italiano (Italian)
    rigettare, vomitare, vomito

Português (Portuguese)
    n. - vômito (m)
    v. - vomitar

Русский (Russian)
    блевать, блевотина, рвать, тошнить, дерьмо

Español (Spanish)
    v. intr. - vomitarse
    v. tr. - vomitar
    n. - vómito

Svenska (Swedish)
    n. - kräkning
    v. - kräkas, spy

العربيه (Arabic)
    ‏(الاسم) تقيء, غثيان (فعل) يتقيأ‏

עברית (Hebrew)
    v. intr. - *הקיא‬
    v. tr. - *הקיא‬
    n. - *קיא, הקאה‬

GeorgeWendtCFI Lands
    Puke (Georgish) means
    A firefighter which often differs with george!
    Last edited by coldfront; 06-24-2007 at 05:48 AM.

Hillbilly Irish!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just checking. There is a period between the last two sentences.

When you wrote this, were those last two sentences part of the same train of thought? Are you saying that because your department lost two in 1999, the result is that you have earned the right to speak your mind? If this is not the case, is there something else noteworthy to give you more of a right to speak your mind than the rest of us? Something noteworthy and differentiating enough that it needs to be called to our attention?

Vocal inflection, facial expressions, tone and timbre of the voice... these things are of course all missing here. What we're left with is the implication that you have a special right to speak your mind because two of your brothers (ours too, don't forget) gave the ultimate sacrifice. I fail to see the connection, and obviously I am not the only one.

If you are misunderstood, please take this opportunity to set us straight.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Thread Information