Thread: Holmatro leaks

Forum Member

Default Holmatro leaks

Have any of you guys had problems with the couplings leaking? Seems everytime we get them replaced they start leaking again. Could it be just bad luck or is it common for this to happen? I am starting to wonder if its on the pump and not the couplings. This has been going on since we bought the unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DCFD1415 View Post
    Have any of you guys had problems with the couplings leaking? Seems everytime we get them replaced they start leaking again. Could it be just bad luck or is it common for this to happen? I am starting to wonder if its on the pump and not the couplings. This has been going on since we bought the unit.
    which ones do you have? the ones on the core hoses, or the older style dual hoses? we have the older hoses and they replaced our couplings last year with the new quarter turn to release instead of the old ones that you had to screw the lock on, we have had nothing but problems with these new ones, even have had them come out and replace them again and they are still leaking, it's not coming from the threads, it's where the male and female connect.

Forum Member

We do not use the core. We have the quarter turn locking ones. The dealer has replaced them several times. Nothing but trouble here. I will add that we had another dealer that has the Holmatro fitting and has put them on another kind of tool with no leaks. I do not know if the fitting come from Holmatro but they have not leaked yet. We, and I hope the Holmatro man is not reading this, have another set of tools that are fitted with Holamtro fitting just incase one pump goes down. We have not had to use it but just in case we do, we have another pump to use. The other pump or tool has not had a leak yet. Hopefully Holmatro will fix this if it is a problem for several people. I like Holmatro tools but the fitting just seem to be trouble.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DCFD1415 View Post
    We do not use the core. We have the quarter turn locking ones. The dealer has replaced them several times. Nothing but trouble here. I will add that we had another dealer that has the Holmatro fitting and has put them on another kind of tool with no leaks. I do not know if the fitting come from Holmatro but they have not leaked yet. We, and I hope the Holmatro man is not reading this, have another set of tools that are fitted with Holamtro fitting just incase one pump goes down. We have not had to use it but just in case we do, we have another pump to use. The other pump or tool has not had a leak yet. Hopefully Holmatro will fix this if it is a problem for several people. I like Holmatro tools but the fitting just seem to be trouble.
    Send me pm or email me. I might be able to get you headed in the right direction.

Forum Member

Just a quick a thought. You did not mention if they changed the male coupler also. We have two older systems that we upgraded to the quick lock twin line couplings. We only changed the females on the advice of the dealer, and had the same issues you are mentioning. Finally the Factory rep was called and he advised us to change the males. He actually gave them to us. He showed that the males get a groove worn in them by the old style couplings and don't seal well with the new quick connect.

Don't know if you have been this route already, but thought it might help

Forum Member

I am not for sure but I am thinking that both have been changed. As many times as we have had problems I would have to guess it has been both. Our machine is not that old and does not get run as much as some other departments. It is all orignal, with the couplings being the only thing replaced and they were replaced with Holmatro couplings of the same model. It is kinda embarrassing when your on a extended extrication and your coupling starts leaking with no knowledge by us and all of the sudden your not cutting anything. Good thing we carry wrenches and extra fluid on the truck. Do not get me wrong, I am not trashing Holmatro, I think they are a good tool. I just wish we had a fix for this coupling issue. We are yet to have a problem with the tools, only the coupling and a few minor power unit problems, fixed quickly by the dealer.

I will say this, I would not tell any department to purchase the small power unit. The one that is the size of a six-pack of Pepsi. It in my opinion is not worth having. It is what we got from the dealer when our big pump went down the last couple of times.
    Last edited by DCFD1415; 06-23-2007 at 02:13 AM.

Thread Information