Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Load Managers and Multi-Plex systems.

Just curious...

How many people specify in their bids that certain devices must not be part of the Multi-Plex and/or Load Manager systems?

Looking at a spec with a local department, and they are contemplating adding that the communications gear, siren, and primary warning (LED lightbar and 4 LED rear+side warning lights) be left independant of any of these systems.

I myself am not totally sold on multi-plexing apparatus yet, nor am I a fan of the load managers. Looking for input on whether or not this would be something you consider for your apparatus, in case the defication hit's blades of oscillation and you don't want to worry about whether or not some of your most important systems stay online.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

I agree... it's very new in the fire service. Although it's been used in trucking world for years. We specified that rig can either be mutliplexed or load managed... soo we kept that open. I'm glad we agree on something... lol
    "I don't wanna hear about it... I wanna see results!!!":-P

Forum Member

Communication equipment usually isn't part of the multiplexing or a load manager, either is the siren. We've got both types of systems and I believe on the rig with the load manager, the only thing on it is the warning lights. You select the priority in which they shed. With a good sized alternator, 320 amp, and LED lights, you shouldn't need a load manager.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Multiplexing/Load Shedding

I have not seen our '06 Dash Multiplex ever go into load shedding mode. Even at low idle with both A/C units running. We spec'd dual 235 watt alternators which provides plenty of power for accessories. We also went will all led warning lights, low load. We also have 12v HID perimeter work lights. Just max-out you alternator output and you will be fine. We have not had any problems with our multiplex system so far.

Forum Member

Smile

First let me say that I do sell trucks. However, this is not a sales pitch. Multiplexing has actually been used for some time in fire trucks is some form or another. Even the systems that used relays in their load managers were computer program (chip) operated, just with mechanical devices rather than fully computerized "nodes". As to what is controlled, NFPA standards are rather specific what has to be managed and that is not an option. The thing that the multiplexing does give you is the ability to deactivate things like Q sirens when you are on scene. Since the systems that are available are programmable to have items function per your departments sop, you are actually in control of what goes on outside of the NFPA stanards.

As to power output and availability, the way the battery banks are wired, the number of batteries in the system, and the alternator are all factors. In most cases it is not necessary to spend alot of extra money on very large or multiple alternators. A 270 amp alternator is more than adequate on most applications, although there are some that do require more. The battery bank and how they are wired are most critical. Some manufacturers will route the positive in one direction through all of the batteries and bring the negative from the last battery back to the first one. This builds in a solid noise filter by using the batteries which is your main source of power anyway

Alot to think about. Good luck in your choices.

MembersZone Subscriber

This question isf for the mfrs that use a std hard wired system but have the option to go to multiplex (or just offer a hard wired system).

When (If) you dont use either the VMUX or ESKEY multiplex system, what brand of components are you using for load managment, relay boards, interlocks , etc ?

Reason for the question: Simply I am only familiar with the 'hardwired' components that Class 1 and Kussmaul offer - I was just wondering if there was anything else out there. Both offer good product. I have my preference but I'll leave that out of this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetruck101 View Post
    This question isf for the mfrs that use a std hard wired system but have the option to go to multiplex (or just offer a hard wired system).

When (If) you dont use either the VMUX or ESKEY multiplex system, what brand of components are you using for load managment, relay boards, interlocks , etc ?

Reason for the question: Simply I am only familiar with the 'hardwired' components that Class 1 and Kussmaul offer - I was just wondering if there was anything else out there. Both offer good product. I have my preference but I'll leave that out of this.
    I know that ALF uses a Class 1 Load Manager, not sure what the rest of the guys are using.

Thread Information