Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad idea?

Unhappy Bad idea?

Looking for a little advice here. I'm currently trying to get into the local community colleges fire academy and my father, a local chief, wants to help me out a little, maybe a little too much. After the PAT is over with the students who pass the PAT are asked to meet with the academy director for an interview before being accepted. My father has a wonderful idea, insert slight sarcastic tone here, of joining me for the interview with the director. I'm a little iffy on this idea. I'm an adult, barely at 18 y/o, and I feel that having my father tag along may be interpreted the wrong way by the director and have a negative effect on me earning a spot. Then again, theres allways the chance that having him there might help me secure a spot...

If it wasnt so competitive to get into this academy then I would totally blow off the idea of having him join me, but there are alot more applicants than available spots...

Thanks for your insight.

PS- I beleive this is a situation that should be dealt with as an adult, without my parents there, but I'm just trying to get some feedback to see if it would help or not. thanks again

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Start off on YOUR right foot

My advice will be short and simple:

YOU are beginning YOUR career. YOUR reputation starts from YOUR acceptance into fire academy, through YOUR academy, then YOUR acceptance to a fire department...so on and so forth.

Are you picking up what I am laying down?

If you feel the need to take your dad with you to the interview, take him by explaining in your answers that his example growing up created YOUR desire to become a firefighter...

Don't start YOUR career off on SOMEONE else's foot.

Good luck.

Stay Safe, Stay Strong.
    Stay Strong, Stay Safe.

Forum Member

Default You have to be kidding?

My father has a wonderful idea, insert slight sarcastic tone here, of joining me for the interview with the director. I'm a little iffy on this idea.

Never! Cut the cord.

Though I'm not yet a FF, I have a good deal of experience in the "real world", and I can tell you that this is an absolutely horrible idea. If anyone came to me for an interview with a parent in tow, I would be polite, conduct the interview, and then immediately deposit their resume in the trash.

Your father's intentions are good, but they are seriously misguided. Do not under any circumstances allow him to be with you on the interview day.

MembersZone Subscriber

The above poster is right on the money. There is nothing worse that a fireman's kid who feels like he is entitled to a job because of his daddy.

Earn, or lose the job on YOUR own merrit.

Forum Member

Would not look good if your father was there. Nice of him to want to be there but could cost you the spot. I have seen many people passed over because the wife or parent came to the interview. The feeling was if you need support at the interview,how can you be trusted with the job. So go alone and if you do not get in this time keep trying. But make it on your own.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Take daddy along and have him slip a few $$$$ under the table. This will without a doubt help you out.

Most of the replies are pretty much on the spot with my thoughts. Thanks for the insight everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe you can have your mom bake a cake too!

Forum Member

#1, as a chief your father should know better.

#2, if I was conducting the interview and a candidate came in with their father I would make sure that this individual was not selected.

Good intentions duly noted, but this idea is just as likely to backfire and produce the exact opposite result of what you want.

Thread Information