Forum Member

Default Mayday? Missing Members?

Guys, I know this isnt the best time to be posting something of this nature, considering the events of the last week. However, I need to get something off my chest after 2 PMs and an email to me after a post I made on the Charleston 9 page.

My initial post was one of complete shock, and without the full story about the tragedy,and the amount of brothers who made the supreme sacrifice.

F*CK. RIP Brothers, hope they can find the others alive

This post was made while operations were still ongoing. Apparently, my post is very disrespectful, because this email :

Find the other ones alive?? When they say "missing" it means dead but
    not recovered.
    was sent to me, with the heading "R U Kidding".

This in no way reflects or even concerns the Charleston FD, their operations, or more importantly,the heartbreak they have gone through. But since when did "missing members" mean to F*CKING ASSUME THEY ARE DEAD? There have been many collapse operations (dont need to start citing them, Im sure everyone here can think of an example or 2, including 6 Truck on 9/11) where some people assumed the worst, but members were either able to self evacuate or found a void until found. Is this what our fire service has come to? No one willing to have hope? No one understanding what an actual MAYDAY entails? My post was made at the onset of news reporting, where the number of FF fatalities ranged anywhere from 2-7. My post was simply a way of expressing my hope that the others either found a void, or we able to escape and were simply unnacounted for at the time. Obviously, this turned out to be not the case, and we lost 9 brave men.

Im sorry if this post is deemed innappropriate, and if so, I have no problems with it being deleted. But something needed to be said. Does anyone else think my post was innapropriate or wrong (besides the person who misread it initially and then apologized later)?
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 06-23-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: changed the title
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

the 4-1-4

Emotions on these types of threads run rampant, as can be seen by at least one thread on these forums.
    You hoped that they would find the other missing/unaccounted for brothers alive? My, how ungrateful of you.

Before anyone jumps on me, that was sarcasm. Nyc, there was nothing wrong with your post. More importantly, your heart was in the correct place. I want guys coming after me who won稚 assume that I知 dead, they値l prove it.

I hope you told the donkey who sent that pm to you to f***-off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Emotions on these types of threads run rampant, as can be seen by at least one thread on these forums.
    You hoped that they would find the other missing/unaccounted for brothers alive? My, how ungrateful of you.

Before anyone jumps on me, that was sarcasm. Nyc, there was nothing wrong with your post. More importantly, your heart was in the correct place. I want guys coming after me who won稚 assume that I知 dead, they値l prove it.

I hope you told the donkey who sent that pm to you to f***-off.
    Thanks brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not believe your post was at all disrespectful. In fact, I think offering hope and encouragment is completely at the other end of the spectrum. Hopefully the people sending messages to you were just emotionally strained and directly involved. In the circumstances, thats a place I would be willing to accept some high energy emotions and cut a little slack.

makes good girls go bad

nyc-
    if there has been anything I have learned by hanging around here, it is you are one of the most "Brotherly" guys on here. If thats a word, but you get the point. Always teaching something new, posting good info, expressing distaste for the Mutts, and sorrow for our Fallen Brothers.

To the @sshat that sent that, engage brain before fingers.

We all held out hope that Brothers would be pulled out alive, but, unfortunatly, that proved not the case.

When 9/11 happened, there was reports of over 1000 FDNY Brothers "Missing" Final tally was, 343 missing from where they truly belong. Are we to write off those called missing? I think not.
    nyc, you did no wrong, or disrespect.

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

nyc, I agree with the other posts. But I'm sure that's not a big shock, as I defended you in the first place

You appear to be fine young man at the beginning of a successful career as a FDNY firefighter, and I didn't find your post disrespectful by any means of the imagination. Rather, it was no different than many of the other posts where "Damn"s or "*****"s were uttered upon hearing such devastating news. A natural reaction. Of course you expressed hope that those reported missing would be found alive, any normal human being would, I'm sure even more so if you're a firefighter!!! Crazy.

As to the PMs and email, that's just utterly ridiculous! I pity the firefighters who have to count on someone like that to save them when things go south. Isn't that one of the most important aspects of your Brotherhood?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

No problem Bro.. Some people either don't understand, or look at the world in another way and you can only do so much to try to open their eyes.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Welcome back, Jasper. I'm sorry it had to be under such sad circumstances though. We missed you!

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post

Im sorry if this post is deemed innappropriate, and if so, I have no problems with it being deleted. But something needed to be said. Does anyone else think my post was innapropriate or wrong (besides the person who misread it initially and then apologized later)?
    I've come to expect almost 50% of the things people write on here are going to leave me shaking my head and wondering if there really are people who believe with their heart, what they just wrote.

Just be thankful that the ones who write off "missing" members won't be coming for you or I.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Just get in the sink and keep your mouth shut :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Senior man told me one time that I needed to get dishpan hands as a probie. The next tour I saw him, I had a pair of gloves on. He asked what that was for, I told him now I can do that many more dishes before I get dishpan hands He just laughed and actually started drying them.

I talked to him recently. He told another probide the same thing and he grunted. He preceeded to use every glass and cup that day, along with a dish for each item he ate that day
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

We dont have a sink in my house. Atleast none that Ive seen. I know we got some nice couches though.

I see Vinnie lurking in here. I heard your house has nice sinks, but you need a stepstool to get in it. Is that true?
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 06-23-2007 at 03:47 PM.

Forum Member

People that give up just because there is a major collapse start my acid reflux to kicking in.Yes,we may know in our hearts that there was no chance of surviving and may indeed be right.But if I was inside when the roof caves in,I'd want someone coming after me,no matter what,so my instinct would be to form up behind whichever officer is running the RIT crew on that call and get further orders to carry out.
    Not leaving anyone behind may not translate into other endeavors like office work but the fire service has to depend on each other so we do things like plan and train to force a path to fallen comrades and all too often have to execute those plans.

MembersZone Subscriber

I see no problem with it, don't sweat it man. Obviously emotions run high when this stuff happens and we all react differently. If some jagoff was offended by it then they need to get out of the "kinder, gentler" mentality and see how it is in the real world.

Like others have said, don't worry about it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Does anyone else think my post was innapropriate or wrong (besides the person who misread it initially and then apologized later)?
    Most of your posts are inappropriate and wrong - just not this one!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Default Don't sweat it, Nycftbl

I realize I am a newbie here, and my opinion means absolutely nada, but I got what you meant in the original post in question, and agree that as long as there is reason to have hope for a good outcome we must keep that hope alive.

This isn't just for us on the outside looking in hoping for good news, though.
    It has to be for those on the inside waiting for help to come get them, too.

As long as there is hope on the part of the missing that they will be found, that we will not abandon them, that we will move heaven and earth to get to them, then, hopefully they will find the strength to continue holding on.

That's what I took from it, anyway.

And, I just think that emotions were unquestionably and understandably high for everyone in that moment and we should just cut eachother a bit of slack. Life's too damn short, as we have so sadly seen this week.
    America's Volunteer Firefighters -- Putting the Wet Stuff on the Red Stuff since 1736.

"To make rescues fast, pull on past. Don't get stuck, because you blocked the truck."

"The reason Smokey Bear had no children? Every time his wife got hot, he beat her with a shovel."

"It's quite simple, really. You call, we come. Nothing to it. Whether you really need us or not, we'll come, because you called. That's what we do."

RTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Although I have never had the good fortune of speaking with you in person, when I read your initial post in question, I could "hear" your vocal inflection and understood it perfectly. Your elaboration of that comment on this thread confirms it.

Honestly, you have gone beyond "above and beyond" to have to ask if you went out of line or something. Kind of touchy-feely of you, in fact. Go make a probie do some dishes, you'll feel better.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Most of your posts are inappropriate and wrong - just not this one!
    Ugh go eat your pizza with a fork.

Forum Member

Default The great pizza myth

Deep-dish pizza is a tourist thing. We eat REAL Chicago pizza, thin-crust and cut into squares (except the corner pieces). Chicago pizza by far is better then anything the east (greasey puddled slices) coast or the west (pineapple and goat cheese) coast have to offer. I don't know where all these deep-dish crap came from, but real Chicagoans dont eat it very often.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Real Chicagoans also dont weigh 100 lbs like the women in NY do! If you want a sure shot, go hoggin in Chi Town!

Forum Member

Real Chicagoans also dont weigh 100 lbs like the women in NY do! If you want a sure shot, go hoggin in Chi Town!
    Ouch. At least we are getting some good lovin' to go along with our good pizza.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    Ouch. At least we are getting some good lovin' to go along with our good pizza.
    Sounds like Johnny has to go all the way to Chicago to get some at all! hehehe

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post

More importantly, your heart was in the correct place. I want guys coming after me who won稚 assume that I知 dead, they値l prove it.
    I can't agree with you more! There have been many close calls in our area and even in our district where you would of thought the fire fighter would of died and walked out!

We had a single story, brick dwelling, where an elderly lady feel asleep smoking. Call was recieved to the 911 center by a neighbor reporting smoke from the bedroom window, upon arrival of our cheif, heavy fire was visible with believed entrappment. Due to manpower issues the first crew dumped water into the bedroom window to cool it off hoping for the best, once the second truck arrived 2 crews went inside to search, while entrering into the bedroom our captain began sounding the floor and searching for the victim. He proceeded into the room and a loud crack was heard and the floor collapsed and he fell into a heavy basement full of fire. Mayday was call, RIT activated, crew went to the bilco doors with a K12 to cut them open, while starting the saw the captain open the bilco doors walked out and hugged our cheif as he was screaming at the RIT team to get the saw running. Seeing the lady, which he actually landed on when he fell through the floor, and the heavy fire damage in the basement, I have no idea how he walked out with only some minor burns on his neck. (to this day he still refuses to wear a hood.) There are times where God is with us, others where he wants us by his side. YOU NEVER ASSUME ONE OF OUR BROTHERS ARE DEAD UNTIL YOU PULL THEM OUT AND PROVE IT TO YOURSELF!!!
    Last edited by firefighter3419; 06-24-2007 at 06:38 PM.

Thread Information