Forum Member

Default Paramedic School

I right now am applying to fire depts. I am on the verge of obtaining my EMT-B certification, college degree, and will be will to go to paramedic school if I get hired on somewhere. I was wondering though, I would be willing to get my paramedic certification on my own, but can I be sure I could get on easier. I hear about all these guys getting on because they have a paramedic license but does it almost assure you of a job? I don't mind putting in the effort and time to go get it, but can I be sure I will get on somewhere. I just dont want to waste time doing it and not be able to get on anywhere.

Forum Member

Just an FYI. Most suburban departments are requiring a minimum of paramedic to test. Some departments even require FF II by time of appointment. If u really want to get on full time, you're gonna need to be a medic. While being a medic isn't a guarantee for a job you could always start as a contract medic for experience and continue the testing. If all you want to do is be a firefighter, I would look at the big cities, (Chicago, FDNY, etc...). I know it kinda sucks but the way of subrurban departments is the way of EMS. Hope it helps

Forum Member

Bloomington and Normal are both that way, and I know Charleston and Mattoon will hardly even look at your app. if you're not a medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got my letter from the testing company that I passed my state medic license last week. The only reason I went was to make myself more marketable to departments. If you are testing for a traditional department and you have your medeic license and someone else doesnt, you get preferance by far. Medic school ranges from 2000-4000 dollars. Plus your class and clinical time, and your ride time. It comes out to about 15,000 dollars in overtime over the year. A department would much rather not have to pay that. Good luck.

Forum Member

nothing in life is a guarantee but I would say it's almost a guarantee that if you don't have your medic license you won't get hired fulltime somewhere. Not unless you are an awesome test taker. I think there's only a handful of career departments that even let you apply without your medic license, at least in the chicago area.

At a department (like arlington heights) that doesn't require you to have your medic you can expect to be up against at least 500 other applicants for maybe 2 positions. If you have your medic the numbers you're up against are more around 150.

Goodluck.

Forum Member

I'm not trying to toss the **** into the fan here but honestly, don't become a medic just so you can use it as a stepping stone onto a fire apparatus, mainly because if you're a medic and you're new, you probably won't be on an engine or a truck for a while. Medic school is intense and highly involved, not to mention expensive, so that's just my opinion

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NickIF View Post
    nothing in life is a guarantee but I would say it's almost a guarantee that if you don't have your medic license you won't get hired fulltime somewhere. Not unless you are an awesome test taker. I think there's only a handful of career departments that even let you apply without your medic license, at least in the chicago area.

At a department (like arlington heights) that doesn't require you to have your medic you can expect to be up against at least 500 other applicants for maybe 2 positions. If you have your medic the numbers you're up against are more around 150.

Goodluck.
    A buddy from my medic class actually got hired at arlington heights off of this list. they took 12 actually and probably 3 more before the list is over. so it can happen. whenever a department says they have no position or 1 at orientation I think they are trying to discourage people from the test. I took the bolingbrook exam and at orientation they said they are taking 1 and they are actually taking 9.

Forum Member

Default Paramedic School

TheChicagoKid,
    Well the only way its seems to me anyways to get on anywhere is to have a medic license. I agree with you that I shouldn't do it just to get on but I have really no choice. No fire dept will hire you without one in the suburbs, I cannot stand going to tests with over 500 people there, and there are very few suburbs testing with just EMT. I am trying to stay sharp with my test taking but I would like any edge I can get.

ok i just got my emt b liscnece now i was just wondering were to take it from here, i dont know if i should go right into the fire academy or hold off on that and go get my medic... or if it even matters because il need them both anyway?

Default ??

im 18 (youngen) ok i just got my emt liscence and wondering where to go from here or what would be best after getting my emt.. idk if it would be better to go straight to the academy to get my ff2 or go to medic school..just looking for some advice..

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's my advise:

After completing your emt-b license if you are on a volunteer department go and get your FFII cert. If your not on a department then go and get your medic license, but in my eyes you should have a little bit of experience prior to medic class. I have although scene great medics from my class come straight from the emt-b class.

Out of all the departments I have tested for a paramedic license in your hands portrays your dedication to getting a job. For me it was a 1 1/2, 3500 bucks, and lots of forgotten time at both the ER and the private ambulance company I work for.
    Riverton Fire and EMS
    Lieutenant/Paramedic

Risk a lot to save a lot.
    Risk a little to save a little.
    Risk nothing to save nothing.

www.rafpd.org
    www.franklindesigning.com

Default Follow up...

I am in the same situation (got EMT-B and will be done with college next May) and I was hoping to get some information on the time demands for a few paramedic programs. If anyone from Ingalls, Christ, and Good Samaritan's programs would not mind, I would like to know when each of the programs start, how long they last, which days per week and for how long during the day are the classes. Thanks for your help. (tried to make a new thread but it didn't come up, so if it does later I apologize for my repetitiveness)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSUGoGreen22 View Post
    I am in the same situation (got EMT-B and will be done with college next May) and I was hoping to get some information on the time demands for a few paramedic programs. If anyone from Ingalls, Christ, and Good Samaritan's programs would not mind, I would like to know when each of the programs start, how long they last, which days per week and for how long during the day are the classes. Thanks for your help. (tried to make a new thread but it didn't come up, so if it does later I apologize for my repetitiveness)
    If you are serious about it you think you'd call them directly and find out for yourself...

MembersZone Subscriber

As for the time I currently have a student on riding on my shift and he went to school for 9 months several days a week for about 8 hours, not including ride time and clinicals. Total time is about a year and I have no idea on the cost between time and class.

Call me old, but when I was in school it was only 22 weeks and about 2 months of ride time (only because nobody wanted to arrest on my shift) and $1300.

Quote Originally Posted by NickIF View Post
    If you are serious about it you think you'd call them directly and find out for yourself...
    Well Nick, a valuable benefit of this forum is for aspiring firefighters or medics to get information from guys that have gone through the process and can give you their opinions about it. That is exactly what I am seeking through asking this question, opinions (within the context of answering the question) I value (obviously not yours) from men that are kind enough to share that with me. I don't appreciate your rudeness and don't assume I haven't done my homework or that I am just lazy.

Thread Information