JFDRookie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Mask straps and other options

Hey All,
    I have been messing around with different ways to hold my mask when not in use on the scene. I like the mask strap because it keeps the mask ready and close to your body, BUT it is very much in the way of my hood, and I just dont like the though of another strap hanging loose next to my head, it just seems like a bad entaglement hazard. So, all that being said what are some options out there.

Forum Member

We have the mask bags from galls clipped to our pants. That is were I keep mine when I am not using it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Itís simple for me, when I am not using it I just take it off of my face and click it onto the regulator and let it hang. I leave the upper straps tightened and the lowers straps a little lose. If I need it again I just slip it over my face, pull tight the lower straps and TA-DA, Iím ready to go again.

Forum Member

Here we have D-rings on all of the right shoulders of the packs. All of our masks have a little metal keychain type ring. When not in use it is clipped securley to my shoulder.

Clipping the mask to the regulator is another option but it seems to smack everything and get in the way.

I used to have my mask like you stated. I like it much better with it attached to the shoulder.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Long time ago

Head harness for Proto B.A.--kept in your fire helmet-still got mine issued 1962
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Itís simple for me, when I am not using it I just take it off of my face and click it onto the regulator and let it hang. I leave the upper straps tightened and the lowers straps a little lose. If I need it again I just slip it over my face, pull tight the lower straps and TA-DA, Iím ready to go again.
    This works great for most guys. However, we have the Scott's with the buddy breathers. THis makes the hoseline too long to do this. If I was to leave it hang, it would be around my ankle.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Hook & Can

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    This works great for most guys. However, we have the Scott's with the buddy breathers. THis makes the hoseline too long to do this. If I was to leave it hang, it would be around my ankle.
    Grow longer legs.

Clipping it to the regulator works for me so far with no major issues.

It looks hot in there

clipped to the regulator, done it since day one, seven years later, never changed once. I tried a neck strap once, till it hung me getting off the truck, never again.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post

Can you have the hoses shortened by SCOTT?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Facepiece is connected to regulator and then clipped to D ring on right front chest. Leaves it ready to use, out of the way, and secured from flinging around.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

If you are having problems with the hose being too long while attached to the regulator, flip it over your shoulder and atop of the bottle. Than just push it over the bottle and to the back to get it off and use a sweeping movement with your arm to get it where it needs to be.

Forum Member

This is what I do and we use Scott. Sometimes I just clip it into the regulator and let it hang although it will get in the way. When I want the mask out of the way I will loosen my waist strap on my SCBA then buckle the high pressure hoseline for the mask under the belt and put the mask off to the side on my hip. This holds it in place out of the way and if I need my mask all I have to do is unbuckle my waiststrap and it is there.

Forum Member

Clipped to the regulator then I unbuckle my waist strap and buckle it over the low pressure hose to keep it secure.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Facepiece is connected to regulator and then clipped to D ring on right front chest. Leaves it ready to use, out of the way, and secured from flinging around.

Ditto.

Using the d ring also allows you to keep it right side up, and it catches less crap that way.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

JFDRookie
    Firehouse.com Guest

I tried this yesterday and it worked out. I connected my facepiece to my regulator and then clipped the mask to the clip on the left chest strap of my pack ( Scott 4.5). I practiced doing it with gloves and since the clip is like the ones on our Bunker gear you can slide the D-ring of the mask off with a little pressure, so you dont have to manipulate anything with your gloves. It also worked when I was a bit keyed up on a call so I guess this will work out. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Thread Information