MembersZone Subscriber

Default Turnout gear repair......

Hello everyone. I have had an “equipment malfunction” with my turnout pants. It seems that the zipper closing on my turnout pants will not zip shut anymore. The zipper itself with zip up and down, but the zipper teeth will not catch and close. Plus when I got my turnout pants it didn’t have a snap closing on it like it was supposed to have. So I always just the zipper/Velcro closing and it worked fine until now. I can still use the pants but with just the Velcro. I know there are companies out there that fix gear like this but I can’t find them on the internet. Anyone know of a company that could fix the gear? Also does anyone know how long it could take and how much it could cost? The department is going to pay for it, I just have to find them a quote. I just want to get them fixed because technically they are still brand new, only been through about 3 or 4 fires before the zipper broke.

Thanks everyone. Stay safe out there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    Hello everyone. I have had an “equipment malfunction” with my turnout pants. It seems that the zipper closing on my turnout pants will not zip shut anymore. The zipper itself with zip up and down, but the zipper teeth will not catch and close. Plus when I got my turnout pants it didn’t have a snap closing on it like it was supposed to have. So I always just the zipper/Velcro closing and it worked fine until now. I can still use the pants but with just the Velcro. I know there are companies out there that fix gear like this but I can’t find them on the internet. Anyone know of a company that could fix the gear? Also does anyone know how long it could take and how much it could cost? The department is going to pay for it, I just have to find them a quote. I just want to get them fixed because technically they are still brand new, only been through about 3 or 4 fires before the zipper broke.

Thanks everyone. Stay safe out there.
    If they are still brand new, why isnt the salesperson of the product stepping up and offering to repair or replace? Additionally, why wasn't the original product received as ordered (snap-ring enclosure)? If they are still new I would be requesting that the Mfr's rep repair/replace with the originally ordered product!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I'd have your department pay to get them repaired at a local seamstress. We provide thread and repair materials, and they provide the seamstress it seems to work out well. I've had mine repaired 10 + times in the last 8 years.

If you need a zipper that meets a specific criteria, I'd let the seamstress try to find it. They have a lot more experience locating that sort of material than any of us will ever have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If they are still brand new, why isnt the salesperson of the product stepping up and offering to repair or replace? Additionally, why wasn't the original product received as ordered (snap-ring enclosure)? If they are still new I would be requesting that the Mfr's rep repair/replace with the originally ordered product!
    Well they are not technically “new”. I have had them about a year, but there was a member who had them before me who didn’t really ever use them so I got them. They are real nice pants, Lions Apparel Janesville turnout pants. When I got them they were fine. I used them and they worked fine up until about a month ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the recent months our department went with a new style coat, our old coats had the hanging tag that said Station 34. The new coats have that on the back, and the name nage at the bottom. To make it more unified and to keep other members from getting jelous of their coat not having their name on we purchased all new name tages, and banners to have sewn on. We took the coats to a rental store that repairs awnings and they had the thread and machines needed to add the banner to the back of coat. Try looking for a place like this, they also are able to add things like radio pockets, and mic clips for us. They might be able to add a snap ring for you, if you need a snap ring PM me and I have a old bunker coat I could cut one off of for you.

Forum Member

Perhap they are out of warranty....but could you still return them to the vendor that made them to have them returned to original spec? I would imagine that they could install the correct zipper and closure? Is that not a service that a turnout mfr would offer for a fee?

Forum Member

Default Trilex

Trilex is here in North Jersey that does that stuff for us. I am sure you could UPS Them here and back for you

http://www.trilexcleanfiregear.com/

Stuff works like new whem it comes back to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had absolutely fantastic luck with Fire Service Management. Google that and you can find their site. I run the repairs through an independent rep, but I think they'll work with you direct. No complaints about anything they've done as far as repairs, and they clean the gear to look so good you won't believe how it looks.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

call your local Janesville Rep and they should get you fixed up. If no help there, Trilex has an Orlando location now and you should only be in spare pants about a week or so. they are pretty good on turnaround.

Thread Information